1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

Just sent you a PM @TRINI

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

3. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Well-Known Member

FYI - for those that care, this is a Del Fino from their double-faced collection.

3 people like this.
  4. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

About 10 years ago I was based in HK and was going to a business meeting in Singapore with the Minister of defense. I asked the dress code and the office manager for our SIngapore office told me NO JACKET - it made you look like an out-of-towner. Sure enough, met with the MoD and he was in short sleeves, no tie and no jacket. Solved the cloth choice dilemma for those visits. HK still required suit and tie though, no matter how hot.

Things may have changed since then.

5. KyleT

KyleT New Member

Minnis Fresco 0500 which runs cooler than a 0511.

Anybody has experience with Dugdales New Fine Worsted's? (you can get them from their online shop) How hot or cool they wear, drape, touch etc.

6. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

Vox had one made at Steed. Click.

7. naviC

naviC Active Member

I would say Singapore has changed a fair bit since... At least for the context I have seen, it's arctic indoors, but once you step outdoors....

think a linen / cotton summer weave shirt + undershirt is absolutely necessary there

8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I feel any insecurity at being seen as an "out-of-towner". I've not done business in Singapore, but I've seen elsewhere with Malaysians, and in Taiwan, a similar dynamic. Certainly, a short sleeved shirt and no tie seem quite normal as business dress. What's more, perversely perhaps, is that it seems to be the junior ranks who wear a tie. I was even told in Malaysia that it was a sign of confidence for the senior management to dress more casually, and the accounts assistants and salesmen were the only ones who wore ties.

However, I'm not Malay or Taiwanese, and being an Englishman in a suit and tie seems to fit a very neat stereotype in every country I've visited. And even if the other side of the table are dressed like factory supervisors, I can say with complete conviction that one is always better treated and taken more seriously when looking fabulous. :)

On a separate but related point: seersucker for suits. Any expert thoughts, sources or suggestions? I'm sick of crumpled linen and am thinking of going in this direction for the hotter months. All guidance is appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. mactire

mactire Well-Known Member

It certainly seems to be a trend that upper ranks in very many organisations especially in the US dress appallingly with some of the logic perhaps being that they are so assured they don't have to try or more importantly appear to try. A recent interview of Jack Bezos with Charlie Rose as well as Amazon VP in jeans and a tshirt springs to mind. A local billionaire knew of was renowned for his meanness and wearing the same jumper for 30 years [sweater to those in the US].

Originally Posted by mimo [​IMG]

However, I'm not Malay or Taiwanese, and being an Englishman in a suit and tie seems to fit a very neat stereotype in every country I've visited. And even if the other side of the table are dressed like factory supervisors, I can say with complete conviction that one is always better treated and taken more seriously when looking fabulous. :)

On a separate but related point: seersucker for suits. Any expert thoughts, sources or suggestions? I'm sick of crumpled linen and am thinking of going in this direction for the hotter months. All guidance is appreciated.
    [/QUOTE]

Seersucker on a cut length basis is hard to find. Monsieur Xu of this parish was organising a buy through Holland & Sherry of a cotton/lycra seersucker if you're interested.

1 person likes this.
  10. coolpapa

coolpapa Well-Known Member

I have this also and it is rather bold, so if that's not your thing, I'd steer clear.

11. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

Really? At one time, Loro Piana had a cashmere blend, and the more conventional preppy cotton-only is out there in a few incarnations. Can't remember where, but it's not impossible to find.

12. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that sanity check. It seems to have fans on here but if it's as bold as you suggest it may not be for me.

13. mactire

mactire Well-Known Member

Well I couldn't find it when I wanted it. I'm up to my gills in cloth though so it'll be a while before I'm looking again.

14. Svenn

Svenn Well-Known Member

That's slightly terrifying. I go back and forth between wondering if the modern business suit is actually flattering to the human form or not, but it would be a shame if it became a sign of junior status. I really wish we could go back to the 19th century and change the trend as to what would become businesswear... there were lots of cool, unstructured jacket forms during the Regency that would have been much more comfortable and practical.

15. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

Now as then, a sober suit marks one as a member of the prosperous professional/middle class. As we re-establish an aristocratic economy, however, that is no longer the unalloyed virtue that it used to be.

16. Svenn

Svenn Well-Known Member

What do you think the dress of the aristocrats will become?

I wonder if a century from now tailors will be canvassing dress shirts and the jacket, and perhaps wool itself, will be completely gone... this could turn into the cotton thread.

17. johanm

johanm Well-Known Member

I don't know what aristocrats wear but lots of people enjoy wearing suits even if they don't need to for status/class reasons. I'd say that suits/jackets are rising in popularity, if anything, in contrast to the business casual backlash to formal business attire in the 80s-90s.

18. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Ah no, the suit is safe I think: it still makes you look like a person to be taken seriously. The Asian microcosm in which the tie is "trying too hard", is also one in which suits are rare at all: so wearing one might well make you look like a visitor. But a visitor who means business.

A suit, preferably three piece, well chosen tie and pocket square and a good pair of shoes, remain the mark of a professional gentleman, in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  20. Pingson

Pingson Well-Known Member

+1 to that

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013