1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

I also have a few Brisa suits: the light grey, dark grey, navy PoW, and a navy solid in the works. It is a tough fabric that resists creases well, breathes well, and feels lighter than its weight. I wouldn't call it spongey, except maybe in comparison to a very dry cloth. It is still relatively crisp feeling, like a dry worsted.

Also, I saw the Golden Bale book this morning and now I want some! Frack. The dark grey birdseye (31167, I think) looks nice. Has anyone had that made up and if so, what kind of suit?

2. mattcritchlow

mattcritchlow Well-Known Member

is there still interest in this? This being a Slewfoot Brown Fresco re-run. I would be interested in a jacket length. not sure where things left off.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  3. tim_horton

tim_horton Well-Known Member

I like that one as well. I was trying to decide between that and the navy birdseye for a DB suit. (Though I think the number may be 31178.)

4. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

Are there photos of this Golden Bale book online anywhere?

5. mactire

mactire Well-Known Member

6. Slewfoot

Thanks! I forgot that Harrison's was dealing with them now.

1 person likes this.
  7. tchoy

tchoy Well-Known Member

I have the grey birdseye Golden Bale pre Harrison made up quite a few years ago. It remains one of my favourite suit, it was one of the nicest fabric that I've come across. I haven't see the new Golden Bale book but so I can't comment on the fabric post Harrisons taken over. My was a 3 button single breasted suit.

8. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

Thank you. I'm trying to figure out if the cloth will be OK as a DB. An SB, probably with notch lapels, is the default choice.

9. tchoy

tchoy Well-Known Member

It would look great in a DB, from a distance it's look like solid grey. I thinks birdseye are underrated.

10. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

One of my first good English-style suits was a birdseye DB (Polo, in 1988). It lasted a long time as one of my favorites but is long since gone. Eventually I will have it remade. If you make yours DB, you will make me happy.

1 person likes this.
  11. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Well-Known Member

I am consistently blown away by how tasteful the fabrics are in the Golden Bale book. Its a shame they are so expensive. I wish they would just run all those patterns in a less expensive cloth.

12. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

What is the $$$ for the new Golden Bale?

13. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Well-Known Member

Would love to know also what tailors are charging for it :)

14. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Well-Known Member

I just know both Frank and Chan have always charged a significant premium for it. All in, was about 20% more expensive than a suit in a more typical fabric. Considering that most of that cost is fixed regardless of cloth, it's pretty hefty.

15. Slickman

Slickman Well-Known Member

Good idea to try and find a proxy that can get a better price for you

16. Slewfoot

I definitely plan on doing a DB suit in birdseye at some point. Likely navy. I know that Dugdale has a great one in their Royal Classics book as seen below. Look forward to seeing the Golden Bale in person sometime.

[​IMG]

17. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Well-Known Member

How much does Isles charge for the GB?USD400/meter?

18. Slickman

Slickman Well-Known Member

I don't know, but from my experience their prices are steep, especially when it came to the quotes they were giving me for lessers fabrics. It was cheaper to order directly from harrisons and pay in pounds, I kid you not! I'm guessing they were factoring duty costs into their price, but I'm not 100% positive. There are some proxies here on SF that might be able to quote a better price, but I don't want to shout-out any names.

19. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

Thanks, I guess I will have to seriously consider DB.

I believe mine charges an extra 300UKP per suit for Golden Bale. No idea what the cloth costs by itself, but I get the feeling that they charge normal people a lot more than tailors.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  20. tchoy

tchoy Well-Known Member

That's is a very reasonable price for opting to use Golden Bale from your tailor.