• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A quick question on cloth buying - do you find it saves money to buy cloth yourself and then take it to a tailor, or does your tailor generally buy at lower prices?
I would like to get a couple of things made in Autumn and at the best price possible.

It all depends on how much your tailor charges for CMT and what you pay for the cloths.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lot of people seem to think this is now a B&S thread :eh:

Nothing wrong with that as you'll at least target the people who are actually interested in buying cloth...

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
so it'll be 97 degrees in NYC tomorrow, great time to start to think about some denim cashmere!

1340114275.jpg

1340114305.jpg

1340114290.jpg

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that as you'll at least target the people who are actually interested in buying cloth...

Well, I disagree. The best threads on this board often go into freefall when members simply don't follow the rules. In my mind, this thread is not meant for displaying 2"x3" swatches of cloth you want to offload.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, I disagree. The best threads on this board often go into freefall when members simply don't follow the rules. In my mind, this thread is not meant for displaying 2"x3" swatches of cloth you want to offload.

Agree to disagree but given the number of members who actually contribute to this thread, the chances of it going into freefall because of some members wanting to offload their lengths is minimal.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. This is the better place to sell and buy cloth. Cloth sale threads get lost very quickly on the B/S board.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depends on the cloth and on the tailor. Generally, it will be less expensive if the tailor orders the cloth. They don't pay VAT, and usually have a running account with the cloth merchant, meaning that they enjoy discounts as they're larger customers. In other words, for most easily available/standard suiting and jacketing cloth, it doesn't make sense to go CMT.
However, if you are looking for something specific from a merchant your tailor doesn't carry, or you have a length of vintage/special fabric (eBay's often good for this), CMT is your only option. Also, crowd-sourced initiatives like the London Lounge Cloth Club and our own special brown Fresco require CMT.
Last thing: don't be fixated on the best price possible. You also want quality, but perhaps most importantly, if you're trickling into the bespoke fold, you'll need to develop a relationship of mutual respect with your tailor. If he doesn't feel respect for his craft, it'll show in the workmanship.

Great post, thank you !

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I apologise if this is against the rules. Just wanted to share some extremely good cloth as I know there are a lot of fans of the Carlo Barbera for H.Lesser stuff. At least I know the contributors of this thread will appreciate it.

And swatches are more easy to display. Not very practical to show all 40 meters for each design
smile.gif

Last edited:

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score

A quick question on cloth buying - do you find it saves money to buy cloth yourself and then take it to a tailor, or does your tailor generally buy at lower prices?
I would like to get a couple of things made in Autumn and at the best price possible.

The cost savings are not great against:

1. the extra time spent buying the cloth in a cloth shop (figure a half a day); and
2. trial and error.

It's a bit chancey buying cloth over the internet. You may get stuck with some which you would have passed-on if you saw and handled it in a cloth shop.

Also, in a tailor's shop you can compare the color, texture, weight, and hand of varous cloth samples. If you want "navy", you should have many choices. You cannot do this on eBay.

When you buy "end bolts" in a cloth store you take the chance of there being an imperfection which you might not be able to discern. You have to carefully inspect the goods.

I would recommend cloth shopping only to the hobbyist. Shopping in a cloth store, such as Tip Top, can be enjoyable if you like to rumage and see different cloths. Many of the cloths may no longer be in production or be readily available at the tailor. Tip Top gets end bolts, and often it is first quality cloth. Also, you can view and handle full lengths as compared to a 3 by 4 swatch in a book.

I have found that there is no real cost savings buying at an end bolt store. My tailors give me a good deal on cloths out of the regular inventory, such as Holland & Sherry and Loro Piana.

Good luck.

Last edited:

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sportcoat material from hfwltd.

8½oz–9oz (240g–250g)
Beige
Gun Club Check

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Nice - is that from the Riviera book?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sportcoat material from hfwltd.
8½oz–9oz (240g–250g)
Beige
Gun Club Check

I think I have this same one currently being made up, it is more yellow in real life. Very soft fabric, from Riviera bunch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads