1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Well-Known Member

Thanks - could you pls id the exact cloth for me?
    Sure thing. It is http://www.hfw-huddersfield.co.uk/ha...tki=183533269? 'Quality 0304' from the flannel book. Weight is 400g. Minnis call it air force blue, but on my order it came out as 'dark air force blue'. I had a swatch before I ordered it of course. Here's a picture of the swatch. It is spectacular in person. [​IMG]

2. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

Sure thing. It is http://www.hfw-huddersfield.co.uk/ha...tki=183533269?

'Quality 0304' from the flannel book. Weight is 400g. Minnis call it air force blue, but on my order it came out as 'dark air force blue'. I had a swatch before I ordered it of course.

Here's a picture of the swatch. It is spectacular in person.

[​IMG]

are minnis quite good at sending samples?

3. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Well-Known Member

are minnis quite good at sending samples?

Excellent. They sent me about 30 in the post free of charge (UK to Australia even by standard airmail would have been a few bob).

Just email them and ask for them to be sent. The swatches are about 8cm by 12cm and give you a very good idea of the nature of the cloth as well as the colour.

4. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

Excellent. They sent me about 30 in the post free of charge (UK to Australia even by standard airmail would have been a few bob).

Just email them and ask for them to be sent. The swatches are about 8cm by 12cm and give you a very good idea of the nature of the cloth as well as the colour.

cheers, i will drop them an email in the new year!

5. yachtie

yachtie Well-Known Member

Moxon Lambswool and cashmere jacketing:

[​IMG]

closeup:

[​IMG]

6. Cordovan

Cordovan Well-Known Member

7. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Some shirting for spring/summer. [​IMG] L to R Pink stripe, cotton White Sea Island Voile (Alumo) Yellow stripe, linen Orange plaid, cotton Lime green stripe, cotton. I'll probably start with two, not sure which. Linen stripe and maybe the orange plaid.

8. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

That yellow linen is sweet.

9. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

Ooh, I do like that lime stripe. [​IMG]

10. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

That yellow linen is sweet.

Yeah, it's super cool. Tip Top had more of it, too.

Ooh, I do like that lime stripe. [​IMG]

Me too.

[​IMG]

11. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

Received some swatches this week. Am thinking of getting a lightweight spring/summer jacket made (by Chan) in this fabric (Hardy Riviera): [​IMG] Opinions? I'm thinking SB, 2B, notch lapel, hacking+ticket+flap pockets, styled like a coat from Huntsman.

12. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Quickly turning into funded liabilities...

Gave 2 pieces of Miinis fresco and one piece of Minnis flannel to my favorite Chicago tailor.

13. instep

instep Well-Known Member

Received some swatches this week. Am thinking of getting a lightweight spring/summer jacket made (by Chan) in this fabric (Hardy Riviera):
    Found this thread while doing a search... Hey, that's my summer jacket (to be)! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. gshen

gshen Well-Known Member

^^ Very nice!

20-210z handwoven Butt of Lewis tweed from Outer Hebrides, Scotland:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More info here on page 2.

15. instep

instep Well-Known Member

Very nice, but how are you going to wear that in Singapore? Even the shopping centres might not be cold enough..?

16. gshen

gshen Well-Known Member

Correction... just touching it makes me sweat already [​IMG] I'll be on exchange in Finland from Aug-Jan, a rare opportunity for me to wear heavyweight stuff!

17. instep

instep Well-Known Member

Correction... just touching it makes me sweat already [​IMG] I'll be on exchange in Finland from Aug-Jan, a rare opportunity for me to wear heavyweight stuff!
    Ah, I see. All the best for your exchange, and hopefully 20-21oz will be warm enough for a Finnish winter! I have a Swedish fiancee, and trust me - Scandinavian winters are no cakewalk... [​IMG]

18. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

In the right conditions ,20/21 ounces must be pure pleasure...
    Walking in freezing conditions with your coat open...
    In normal environment ,no Lapland romancefor example, 16 ounces will be the higher I would go.

19. gshen

gshen Well-Known Member

^^ Thanks gents! I'm not sure if anything will keep me sufficiently warm for a -10-20 deg celcius winter.. will report back on this at the end of the year!

20. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Well-Known Member

Here are some Hardy and Minnis trousering for Summer and Fall I bought from AndrewRogers on the B&S forum. Ordered on Saturday, shipped on Monday, arrived today (Wednesday). The colours are off and the photos do not do the cloth justice. I plan on getting a couple of the summer ones made up as soon as possible.

Summer trousering. 11-12 oz Irish Linen in cream, sage, and rope (call numbers 9253, 9252, and 9247). The second photo is a better representation of the colours, but is still way off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Winter Trousering.

22-23oz olive corduroy (9365):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20 oz navy moleskin (9378):

[​IMG]

And finally, 14-15oz brown "spot effect" flannel (0327). Easily my favourite of the bunch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]