1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

Actually, I convened a meeting of certain cloth distributors and showed them a working prototype of this system, indicating how it would lead to even greater distribution in the long run by tapping into latent consumers they don't have access to. It was summarily rejected because of the cutthroat nature of sole distributorship agreements and the implicit rule that you can't take an agent's "turf." But I guess what I am trying to say is that the "big" merchants could easily cut the cord on their sales agents when it dawns on them that they could make even more buckaroonies by having one integrated system instead of guys carting around briefcases of cloth books like this was 1945.

I am a strong believer in paradigm shift through these systems...sooner or later Holland & Sherry or Dormeuil (with their utterly bizarre online system) will go all-in with something and beat everyone else to the punch.

2. sprout2

Should I get a Solaro suit?

3. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

But that will require paying IT consultants (middlemen of a sort) to do something that has been quite unnecessary until today.

4. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

Yes. And Google (very much middlemen). We are all middlemen. Anyone that believes they are "above" being a middleman is either a financially independent former middleman or delusional.

5. sprout2

Lol was that intended sarcastically? Paying "IT" "consultants" is easily the biggest scam ever. But corporations don't know any better, so easy target, right? Some of the best middlemen out there. But it's definitely the kind of thing that an out-of-touch dinosaur fabric merchant would think is the right thing to do in order to optimize their enterprise.

Besides, I already stated that I would build their platform. No consultants or moronic meetings necessary. Just one time fee.

I'll take the latter. That's also a really bizarre full-throated endorsement of I-don't-know-what.
    Why is everyone a middleman? Is that intended to sound poetic? Cause it doesn't mean anything. Pianists are middlemen of what? Bringing sound to audience? Maybe the audience should just plug into sound waves directly and cut out the pianist. Believe it or not, not every person on this board is a corporate cog.

6. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

Wow impressive. I'd be intrigued to learn more about this platform.

7. sprout2

U wanna buy it? These suits don't pay for themselves you know.

Anyway, create, mediate, or spectate, that's what my aunt always said. Nowadays with the "participatory" generation it's create, mediate, or participate, I think. But the man in the middle is the least desirable party by a country mile.

Should I get a Solaro suit, or would that out me as a total aficionado and pervert?

8. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

Well, if you were not able to sell the platform to the intended industry, maybe you just need a good sales rep. Or an agent.

2 people like this.
  9. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

icwudt

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  10. sprout2

It would be quite the trojan horse if you tried to sell them shooz and floral scarves and then did the bait and switch and presented, voila, a content management system and fulfillment service. I like your moxie, kid!

11. sprout2

Here is a product that could revolutionize the bespoke tie industry. How would you pitch this differently?

[​IMG]

12. Concordia

They're overdressed.

13. sprout2

[​IMG] ?

14. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Well-Known Member

No, go tan like me.

1 person likes this.
  15. sprout2

Good tan.
    Bathroom also clean.
    iPhone lovingly cradled in powerful hands.

All systems are go.
    What is fabric ID? I am PayPal ready!

1 person likes this.
  16. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I have one and it pretty much works as you say

2 people like this.
  17. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You'll need to go through your sales rep, Michael Alden!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    4 people like this.
  18. sprout2

I remember taking that picture for my blog. It was on a trip of MA x Best Western Presents[​IMG] Scenic Sicilian Voyages, an all-inclusive tour package which included bath, lodgings, and your choice of bespoke commission in 20 oz cheviot tweed. I was torn between the Rubinacci villa package and this one, but when I inquired with the Rubinacci reservations line, the phone was picked up by a flippant young man who kept telling me he was an "ice cream maker" and that he could combine "any tie with any jacket." It sounded suspect, and I wasn't clear if I had rung a gelato store or an actual tailoring shop.

Rather than play the odds, and concerned that a short stay in Naples would not afford enough time to get 11 commissions made, I opted for the San Francisco Special, viz., the MA package.

In the sizzling Sicilian heat of midsummer, we donned our 20 oz tweeds for a hike up a local mountain. Builds the constitution, he said. "When in Rome!" as they say. The terrain was winding and I began to wish I had opted for an action back. MA was kind enough to bring some limoncello in a little basket and so our company, five middle aged men in shooting tweeds and silk cravats, rested halfway up the hill on a makeshift bench. Maybe the drink had gone to MA's head, but he insisted that we recite Shakespearean epigrams to each other, practicing our enunciation for the stage.
    With renewed energies, we continued our ascent while MA regaled us with local folklore and histories of antiquity. Suddenly, as we rounded a bend, we nearly tripped over a local Italian couple in the midst of heavy petting, as is the Italian wont -- fornicating at any time, place, or provocation. MA suddenly became very mad that the locals had "ruined" our Italian idyll and marched us down the mountain in exasperation at the "impropriety" of it all.

In the town square (they call it a piazza, sounds almost like pizza -- I wonder if they are related? And the Good Lord knows we ate a lot of pizza on that trip... but why is it so thin? Give me a Chicago deep dish with all the trimmings and a side of Mountain Dew any day), we regrouped, where The Alderman, as we had taken to calling him, announced the trip cancelled, null and void, bespoilt and besmirched by the scene of in flagrante delicto, the beast with two backs, the hanky panky, and other epithets that he muttered. "The trip is canceled and non-refundable. Please pay your balance and good day."

But I had turned down London House for this, the big enchilada, the real I-talian I-ditarod, the Neo Grand Tour, and I hadn't popped my bespoke cherry just yet. For what journey to hallowed sartorial ground is not complete without some selfies with the greats? I took out my SLR and insisted that we should take an InstaGram picture together. MA just glowered at me with a searing look that could melt a thousand planets and said "Scram, kid. Go back to StyleForum." The photo above was the last look we exchanged. I clicked the shutter anyway.

What had caused this about-face? Had MA stumbled upon his main squeeze stepping out with a local ragazzo on the mountaintop? Had it unearthed a deep, dormant memory of love lost? Or were vistas of nudity incompatible with the Scenic Sicilian Voyages experience? Would Italian nudity forever be confined to Michelangelan sculptures? It didn't seem to add up. I pondered this while buying a pack of gum and a magazine at a kiosk at the train station, where buxom boobies seemed to burst out of every tabloid magazine on the rack. Sex seemed alive and well here.

We had agreed to go different ways. I had business in Milan, but my friends would go to wine country. I lost track of time while thumbing through the titty mags at the kiosk and looked up at the big board to see that my train would soon depart. Tired, confused, and yet titillated, and suffering from major perspiration and swamp ass from the damned 20 oz tweed, I made a beeline for the train. I tossed the jacket in a trash can and spent the rest of the trip in some linen candy stripe button-downs I'd picked up at Paul Stuart on 44th before my flight. I'd forgotten the cross-street on the morning of the flight and resorted to Google Maps to jog my memory. The map read "old-school, high-end menswear store" before the pin had even appeared, so I knew I was going in the right direction.

[​IMG]

PS was as expected, always modulating on the right frequency, the quiet click of the doors behind you and the blast of air conditioning vacuum, with muffled carpet footsteps beneath your feet as one after another salesman parts before you with cooing murmurs of "Yes, sir, hello, sir, how about this sir, how nice, sir," the mise en scene like Russian Ark as the flanked rows of salesmen dissolve into the background on either side. Sycophants, through and through, but sycophants to such a high level.

I pulled the blinds down in the train and tried to get some shut eye. I was tired, elated, confused. Here I was in the promised land, the main event, with sprezzatura as far as the eye could see and more OG old men in suits than you could shake a stick at. Yet I was down one jacket, into the dustbin, and nothing to show for my sartorial sojourn. Should I just pop into the new G. Lorenzi store for some silvertip brush I didn't need? Or nip into Boggi in between meetings and get a knit tie? My craving was not satisfied, but I resolved to let the matter rest for now as my lids grew heavy.

Little did I know that events in Milan would inexorably push me southwards to Naples and through the door of that ice cream peddler, where I would meet someone who introduced himself as runner-up for Esquire's Best Dressed Man.

To be continued in an exciting and episodic fanfic forthcoming in e-book format

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    5 people like this.
  19. Concordia

Moving on to midweight worsteds...

I'm looking for something that is dark enough to be a suit in cooler weather but light enough to mix with a navy blazer. For colors, I have found a few decent solutions with Dugdale and Minnis Classic, both 12/13oz. The personalities are quite different; Minnis leans blue and has a very dry finish, while Dugdale suggests flannel and is a bit warmer in color. Has anyone used either of those lines recently, and can compare (with each other, or some other known quantity)?

20. sprout2

If I understood the question, you mean that the pants would sometimes be worn with a blazer?
    I used both of those lines recently, but I also have some other suggestions (would have to look up names).