1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Unexpected encounters with celebrities

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by caelte, Sep 2, 2007.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Question: Do you go out of your way to look like a prick?
    I do, occasionally. Not everyone is a natural like you Socal

2. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

Probably because you need to get over yourself.

Why would I do that? Should I fawn over every celebrity instead? Be impressed I met some guy who does a job that I don't? Get a picture with them I can post on Facebook?

Whatever. Get excited to any degree you want. I don't watch The Soup and I could care less if the guy sitting next to me in a bar is George Clooney or George Clompus from down the street. Same difference.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I don't watch The Soup
    You should - it's pretty funny actually

4. Quirk

Quirk Well-Known Member

I actually got to eat dinner with the guy. I used to run my father's rare bookstore and I was appraising the estate of the father of a married couple (the wife) who were good friends of Steve's (that sentence is horrible). He was in town and we all ate dinner at the couple's house. Great time. It was really cool, he's very, very intelligent and absolutely hilarious.
    Nice. I also met Diana Krall a couple times at gigs years ago -- shy, sweet and very hot. And Paul Simon (singer/songwriter, not Senator) many years ago at Lord & Taylor. And yeah, I asked for his autograph -- he's Paul Simon! If you spend any significant amount of time in NYC, non-interactive sightings are too numerous to mention.

5. Quirk

Quirk Well-Known Member

I do, occasionally. Not everyone is a natural like you Socal
    Without taking sides... objectively, on the merits, that is classic. [​IMG]

6. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

Can you recall if the shoes were nice!!!!

7. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Well-Known Member

The basketball thread reminds me of a few athletes I've gotten to meet (sorry, I usually just don't think of sports when browsing this site).

I've played pickup basketball games with/against:
    Bob Sura, Michael Boulware, Kenyan Weeks, Peter Warrick, Ron Dugans, Laverneaus Coles, Warren Sapp (an absolute asshole to play against, but still somehow likeable), Roy Jones, Jr., Matt Geiger, and Dwayne Schnitzius.

Played intramurals with/against - Sebastian Janikowski (we were teammates - believe every crazy story you ever hear about him), Anquan Boldin, Chris Weinke, Alex Barron, Corey Simon, Marvin Minnis.
    Also have gotten to chat with Bobby Bowden a couple of times.

Also, had a girlfriend leave me for a player for the (Devil) Rays. Made the parting a lot easier to take, actually.

Once bumped into Randy "Macho Man" Savage coming out of the movies once. Really nice guy.

8. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

or David Crosby as I love CSN & somtimes Y) who I saw.
    CSN(Y) has been my favorite band for as long as I can remember. Stop stalking me!

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

CSN(Y) has been my favorite band for as long as I can remember. Stop stalking me!
    I have met Neil Young many times. He several blocks away when I was growing up, and up until last year had an apartment one floor below my mother's in San Francisco. Very nice guy.

10. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

I have met Neil Young many times. He several blocks away when I was growing up, and up until last year had an apartment one floor below my mother's in San Francisco.

Very nice guy.

Ran in to a local celeb while visisting the SF MOMA(I think). We were in an exhibit that had a wooden table/slab made out of some unique kind of wood on display. Lots of people peering closely. As I leaned forward to take a look I noticed a hand directly across from me slowly rubbing the grain. What struck me was the way the guy's finger tips played along the edge - it took a second to realize that his middle finger was missing the last two digits. A bolt of revelation struck, and I looked up to see Jerry Garcia standing across from me....

11. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

A bolt of revelation struck, and I looked up to see Jerry Garcia standing across from me....

Don't you mean his ghost? He has been dead for like 10 years now [​IMG]

12. warlok1965

warlok1965 Well-Known Member

Ran in to a local celeb while visisting the SF MOMA(I think). We were in an exhibit that had a wooden table/slab made out of some unique kind of wood on display. Lots of people peering closely. As I leaned forward to take a look I noticed a hand directly across from me slowly rubbing the grain. What struck me was the way the guy's finger tips played along the edge - it took a second to realize that his middle finger was missing the last two digits. A bolt of revelation struck, and I looked up to see Jerry Garcia standing across from me....

Did he look like my avatar? [​IMG]

I've heard a similar story elsewhere, about someone running into Jerry and his GF at MOMA. Jerry was very gracious; GF was not.

13. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Well-Known Member

John Waters (Serial Mom, Hairspray, CryBaby, Pink Flamingos, etc...) is a regular at The Ottobar in Baltimore. We've bought each other drinks many times - he's a very sweet guy and usually goes out by himself and just likes to meet and talk to people.

14. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

John Waters (Serial Mom, Hairspray, CryBaby, Pink Flamingos, etc...) is a regular at The Ottobar in Baltimore. We've bought each other drinks many times - he's a very sweet guy and usually goes out by himself and just likes to meet and talk to people.
    Are you guys romantically involved? [​IMG]

15. romafan

Don't you mean his ghost? He has been dead for like 10 years now [​IMG]

I know it's a little dusty , but Matt's SF reference jogged my memory and the regional tie-in (unlike many encounters) seemed so poignant. This would have been '92 or '93, so he was very much alive, although not far from the end....

16. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Are you guys romantically involved?

What are you insinuating about Mr. Waters [​IMG]

17. Dragon

Dragon Well-Known Member

Sometimes it`s hard to recognize celebrities in their natural state. They must have special effects make up on or something when they are on TV or the movies.

Off the top of my head, I remember getting a hair cut next to one of the girls from Girls Next Door, but I didn`t recognize her for about 15-30 minutes. I saw another one of the girls (on a separate day) but only recognized her because of her loud distinctive laugh (after 15 minutes or so). [​IMG]

My wife and I saw Halle Berry (she goes to the same brow salon as my wife) but I didn`t recognize her even after my wife was telling me to LOOK! LOOK!...I was like WHERE! WHERE! [​IMG] (I never thought she looked THAT good with make up, but without it she looks horrific).

For the Japanese fans, I saw Yoshiki with his GF recently too.

18. romafan

Although I've seen many pictures and talk-show appearances by Halle Berry (including a movie, perhaps?) and Sheryl Crow, they always look different to me each time I see them. [​IMG]

19. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

brow salon

[​IMG]

20. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Well-Known Member

Are you guys romantically involved?

Nah, but I did try to talk him into introducing me to Traci Lords.... and he thought I was joking. [​IMG]