1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Unexpected encounters with celebrities

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by caelte, Sep 2, 2007.

1. TheHoff

TheHoff Well-Known Member

too many to remember. my favorite was mr t, alone, in an elevator. that was an awkward silence.
    ^^ Best one yet. I have two.... 1) Sir Ian McKellen; a few years ago Gandalf mysteriously appeared in the audience of a very small, very local, university theatre production. So I watched a show with Sir McKellen and about 30 others. 2) Tony Little, the guy who pumps the exercise equipment on HSC. I lived across the street from him when I was a kid and he was fat. I once mowed his lawn. He complained I cut it too short and I never mowed it again. [​IMG]

2. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Well-Known Member

My work puts me in close proximity to celebs on a regular basis, so I tend not to think to much of it. However, its still interesting to just bump into them away from work. Best...make that most unusual...was using the urinal next to Andy Summers of the Police. Had four-time Superbowl Champion L.C. Greenwood added to our foursome at a pricey golf course one day. Great guy with a voice like Barry White. Been to Sophia Lorens hotel room once...that was work but still one I had to mention...yes, she was there.

3. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

I had lunch once with Mike Chertoff before he became director of homeland security. That's about the extent of my unexpected encounters with well known people (not sure I'd call him a celebrity). I was in a movie once, but there was nobody really famous in it.

4. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

I had lunch once with Mike Chertoff before he became director of homeland security. That's about the extent of my unexpected encounters with well known people (not sure I'd call him a celebrity). I was in a movie once, but there was nobody really famous in it.

Was it of the amateur sort, like Warhol's Horse? [​IMG][​IMG]

5. odoreater

Was it of the amateur sort, like Warhol's Horse? [​IMG][​IMG]

No, it was a B horror movie.

6. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

No, it was a B horror movie.

What was it? Perhaps I own it.

7. odoreater

What was it? Perhaps I own it.

I can't even remember what it was called. It was a zombie movie and I played one of the zombies (no speaking lines, just basically walking around corn fields dressed like a zombie). I will find out what it was called and get back to you - but I don't think it was released that widely.

8. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

Unexpected dinner once with Sam Shepard and Jessica Lange was fascinating and delightful.

Among the Juilliard encounters: Patrick Stewart gave an amazing graduation speech for the 1999 class (and was a gracious and friendly person, he smiled when I did the "Picard-straightening-his-uniform-move" as I accepted my diploma, although I chickened out on the vulcan salute dare), Morgan Freeman was also there, but I was too awe-struck to even say "hello". Two bizarre elevator incidents (both around 8 am) that still amuse me: Val Kilmer, looking like he was recovering from an overnight bender (didn't have the temerity to say, "I'm your huckleberry", or even "Frederick f*cking Chopin"), and the other was a breathless Tom Hulce desperately asking me which floor the drama department was on (still kicking myself for not saying, "Fourth floor...Wolfie"). Also saw Glenn Close (in a stunning Chanel suit), Julianne Moore, Danny DeVito (with Rhea Perlman), Placido Domingo, Robin Williams, and Kevin Kline. Also wish I had a video camera to record the very amusing scooter-car race between the late Dorothy DeLay and Itzhak Perlman.

koji

9. ratboycom

ratboycom Well-Known Member

I have worked on Mark Ripien's Toyota a few times- He was the qb for the Washington Redskins in their Superbowl days of the Early 90s. Really nice, down to earth guy. I actually went to the same elementary school as he did, he would have a yearly giveaway to the best student in the 6th grade. Would give them a autographed picture/football and you would get your name on a big trophy in the display case at the school. My older brother won that.

10. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

My grandma was having drinks at a restaurant on Saratoga Lake one evening, and some guy with two hot broads walked in. She heard the hostess ask for his reservation and he goes, "It's under Ralph Lauren." She looked over and, sure enough, it was Ralph. As can be expected, he was very well turned out.

11. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

Shook hands with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen

Dusty Baker, coach of the cubs, lived in my building for 2 years, talked to him a couple of times in the elevator.

Arnold Schwarzenegger-Columbus Ohio-Arnold Classic- shook his hand, nice guy.

Joe Theismann-outside the Park Hyatt

Mike Ditka-shook his hand at Ditka's restaurant
    The Fridge at Gibsons.
    Dennis Farina, Law and Order, seen him a few times
    Kayne West-saw him, didn't talk to him or anything.

* All I can think of for now.

12. odoreater

I've also met and chatted with the Crown Prince and Princess of Luxembourg.

13. JetBlast

JetBlast Well-Known Member

Queen Elizabeth II (if you want to consider her a celebrity)
    Bruce Springsteen
    Prince
    Dave Matthews
    Michael Jackson
    Will Farrell
    Tom Brokaw
    Richard Branson

There's a lot more I can't think of right now...

JB

14. odoreater

Michael Jackson

Were you one of Jacko's kids?

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Shook hands with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen

Dusty Baker, coach of the cubs, lived in my building for 2 years, talked to him a couple of times in the elevator.

Arnold Schwarzenegger-Columbus Ohio-Arnold Classic- shook his hand, nice guy.

Joe Theismann-outside the Park Hyatt

Mike Ditka-shook his hand at Ditka's restaurant
    The Fridge at Gibsons.
    Dennis Farina, Law and Order, seen him a few times
    Kayne West-saw him, didn't talk to him or anything.

* All I can think of for now.

You should have bitch-slapped Kanye for being such a whiny bitch. Arnold is one guy I'd like to meet. I wish he could run for president.

16. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Were you one of Jacko's kids?

that's cruel. He's trying to forget the nightmares of the neverland ranch.

17. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Bruce Springsteen
    Prince
    Dave Matthews
    Michael Jackson
    Will Farrell
    Tom Brokaw
    Richard Branson

JB

Where'd you meet the Queen?

One Brit I'd love to meet is Margaret Thatcher, only so I can punch her in the face.

18. GoSurface

GoSurface Well-Known Member

Bruce Springsteen
    Prince
    Dave Matthews
    Michael Jackson
    Will Farrell
    Tom Brokaw
    Richard Branson

JB

Holy shit. Fuck the queen. You met/had a brief encounter with PRINCE. How was that?

19. redcaimen

redcaimen Well-Known Member

Where'd you meet the Queen?

One Brit I'd love to meet is Margaret Thatcher, only so I can punch her in the face.

Like Tucker Carlson, you might want to bring one of your pansy friends along for protection. At 80 she could still probably kick your candy ass.

20. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

At espn the weekend at mgm studios a few years ago, a friend and i were waiting in line for the Star Wars line. All of a sudden we realized that Karl Ravech (baseball tonight and espn) was in front of us in line and he saw my friend's white sox hat, turned and said in his anchor man voice "Hey guys, did you just hear? Nomar was just traded to the cubs less than an hour ago". It was weird getting a sportscenter update in real life from an anchor in line.

As we got off the ride, we saw eric dickerson getting off and he gave us a nice high five.

There was a little sports area in one section with mini sport games such as a tiny batting cage, a little shooting contest (start with 50 people in line, take a shot from 2 ft away and then keep moving back till last man standing). Brian Urlacher actually joined the contest but got knocked out when he couldn't hit a college 3pointer.

ESPN the weekend at MGM is a really fun experience for any sports fans in florida.