• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unexpected encounters with celebrities

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I wanted to ask him what I had to do to get a great nickname like "the Dragon." You know, something like, "Rattlesnake," or "Cobra."
A: Hire a good publicist B: Rearrange someone's face

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, I met Ron Jeremy around 1998 at some Appreciation Awards show (no, I'm not a deviant, it's a long story). He's even uglier in person.

Nugget

Reaction score
About 12 years ago, a bunch of us went to watch a fairly well known (in OZ) singer songwriter do an acoustic set at a pretty small bar. It turned out we got a table at the front, and the singer asked us if it was ok to leave his bottle of vodka with us.. No problems...

The night got better and better and one of us eventually lamented the fact that another mate was too lazy to come along. The singer heard this and said "WTF? Didn't want to come and see me???" We joked and he wrote a note to the absent mate saying "You are an absolute softcock for not coming out with your mates!"

It has been a competition of sorts ever since then to get any celeb minor or major to write the same note to this guy.. he so many now - A string of national cricket captains, a former prime minister, Olympians, Actors, Musicians... They always seem to think it is a funny one to sign when you give them the history!

So - if you want to join in???

Major sighting and chats for me:
I met Bill Clinton in Jermyn Street.
Drew Barrymore regularly in the gym when she's in Kenya - she's nice
inlove.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Forgot to mention, I met Ron Jeremy around 1998 at some Appreciation Awards show (no, I'm not a deviant, it's a long story). He's even uglier in person.
He really is. But he's such a nice guy. Even introduced myself and a friend to his co-stars.

riveroaks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
He really is. But he's such a nice guy. Even introduced myself and a friend to his co-stars.

Ran into an unexpected crowd and turns out it was Hillary Duff and the accompanying photographers and hangers on.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Autograph signing at the mall this weekend, so I saw Billy Sims, Steve Owens, and Jason White. I periodically run into Barry Switzer in local restaurants, but I don't consider him a celebrity, I consider him cheating slime.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Ben Stiller's mother (or if you will, Steve's from Sex and the City) on the gift/home floor of Bergdorf the other day.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Ben Stiller's mother (or if you will, Steve's from Sex and the City) on the gift/home floor of Bergdorf the other day.
Long before she was Ben Stiller's mother, she was Anne Meara. lefty

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Wow...what TV show hasn't she been on?
The King of Queens
Law & Order
Sex & The City
Will & Grace
All My Children
Murphy Brown
Murder She Wrote
Alf
The Love Boat
Archie Bunker's Place
Rhoda

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to a showing of Dodgeball on the opening night but not at a premiere or anything. Just a theater in LA. And as I was walking up the stairs, my friend points and says "hey look, Samuel L Jackson." And since the stairs were curving, and I was looking back at my friend and continuing to walk, I walked LITERALLY into who appears to be Samuel L Jackson's wife (okay, I just did a Google of her and yes, it is his wife). At first, I thought they just knew each other. I apologized, she apologized, and then we just walked on into the entrance of the theater room.

My brother has seen Matt Damon playing poker in Vegas. Also, he's seen Jennifer Tilly playing poker. He says she is amazingly good looking for her age.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, as I was reading other posts, I remembered a few more. On the day the iPhone came out, I was in line and Roger Craig was walking all by himself and had a small bag in his hand. This was at the Stanford Shopping Mall in Palo Alto, CA. We (my brothers and I) went "hey, Roger Craig" and raised our hands and waved. He simply smiled "hey guys" and then walked on by. He's a former 49ers running back.

Oh, and I did the whole Bill Clinton book signing. But that doesn't count, right?

I read some of the other posts. I guess I only remember the details because it is exciting. I didn't take pictures. That's sorta disrespectful.

I actually forgot all about these moments. But when you read about a forum about it, it brings up memories. You think you've forgotten. But it comes back. So to the people who complain that people have precise memories of these events, it's not because they were so excited they wrote it down, but the image comes back in fine detail only if you do something to bring it back. For example, I remember Roger Craig was wearing white colored pants and shades. I didn't write it down. In fact, I've forgotten all about it. But it comes back. Read enough neurobiology and you'll be amazed at what the brain can do.

I know I'll probably get flames for so many reasons. But I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong. People just react differently to these things. For me, at the moment, it's like "hey, that guy is famous." And then the moment dies and is lost forever. And then years later, on a forum, when asked to recall, it comes back in amazing detail.

Bill Clinton was wearing a pink tie and a light blue shirt when I met him. He shook my hand and asked "how are you?" I said "good." And then was so awestruck that I didn't reciprocate and ask him how he was doing. Just stood there. After I shook his hand, I stepped back about 5 feet. And almost forgot to get the book once he signed it.

Oh, and lastly, I saw Mikhail Gorbachev at the Stanford Mall once. I did stop and look and saw that he was window shopping at some chocolates. He had no entourage. I'm sure he had body guards but I wasn't paying attention really. Just walked by, did a double take. Stopped, noticed he was looking at chocolates. Then walked on.

Oh, and when I say excited or exciting, I don't mean like a little schoolgirl. I guess exciting is not the right word. I mean, sorta out of the ordinary.

Of all the people I've seen, the one person I probably would want to talk to is Mikhail Gorbachev. After studying all about the history of the Soviet Union in college, seeing the man that ended it all is a bit amazing. And shopping for high end chocolates at the Stanford Mall of all places. And no, Ronald Regan did not single handedly end the Soviet Union. Regan gets way too much credit. But that's another thread.

Karo

Reaction score
I once saw Jimmy Kimmel and his wife at Saks NY. Oh and I saw Yan the Chinese chef (Yan can cook),he stayed at the hotel where I worked before. I guess thats pretty much sums up the highlight of my life.

djs488

Reaction score
I was on martha's vineyard with some buddies about 3 years ago, and we were out getting ice cream. I was ahead of the group and ordered first (it was a popular place, so the line was long). I was wondering why it was taking the rest so long to get to the line. I turned around to see them helping someone change their tire. It was Jake Gyllenhaal.

I also saw Jay-z and beyonce on the beach on martha's vineyard, but there was no encounter as they had half a dozen body guards around them.

mbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djs488
I was on martha's vineyard with some buddies about 3 years ago, and we were out getting ice cream. I was ahead of the group and ordered first (it was a popular place, so the line was long). I was wondering why it was taking the rest so long to get to the line. I turned around to see them helping someone change their tire. It was Jake Gyllenhaal.
I went to high school with Jake Gyllenhaal. He was a punk.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads