1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Understanding Denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by djc, May 14, 2011.

1. djc

djc Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I have decided to start writing up a blog series called "Understanding Denim" based all around denim. The first few posts are to help answer a few common questions on how to buy and care for your denim.

http://inseamstore.wordpress.com/

Understanding Denim Part 1: The Basics
    Understanding Denim Part 2: Buying Tips

I am open to any constructive criticism here - this is my personal opinion and I know not everyone is going to agree.

My next post will be about "Wash and Care Tips". Please drop some suggestions as to what other topics you would like covered.

Cheers,
    Darren

2. linkinwayne

linkinwayne Well-Known Member

Do you polish your denim with mink oil or Sno Seal?

3. djc

djc Well-Known Member

I like to go the whole way with human sebum twice daily.

4. mikecch

mikecch Well-Known Member

^ Nice!
    Could expand on the buying tips by incorporating methods of discerning quality/character of denim and construct of jeans.

I think I've also written about similar topics in the past - but it's always good to have some understanding of a merchant's perspective [​IMG]

5. djc

djc Well-Known Member

There is just SO much to write about! It is very hard to keep it succinct enough so that people don't get bored reading it all. When I'm typing it all out it really doesn't seem like im typing much - but then when I finish and look at that wall of text I am worried nobody will read it all [​IMG] Thanks for that tip Mike - I will do another separate post to cover that topic after I publish wash and care tips [​IMG]

6. entrero

entrero Well-Known Member

I'd like to see some independent research rather than regurgitated "facts" from the interwebz.

7. Vaio

Vaio Well-Known Member

Thanks man, appreciate it.

8. *#..

*#.. Well-Known Member

I just read the Basics. If I didn't know anything about selvedge, I'd find the article very informative.

9. whatever123

whatever123 Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I have decided to start writing up a blog series called "Understanding Denim" based all around denim. The first few posts are to help answer a few common questions on how to buy and care for your denim.

http://inseamstore.wordpress.com/

Understanding Denim Part 1: The Basics
    Understanding Denim Part 2: Buying Tips

I am open to any constructive criticism here - this is my personal opinion and I know not everyone is going to agree.

My next post will be about "Wash and Care Tips". Please drop some suggestions as to what other topics you would like covered.

Cheers,
    Darren

cool.

10. djc

djc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the support and feedback guys [​IMG] Im glad my rants are of some use - keep the suggestions coming!

I'd like to see some independent research rather than regurgitated "facts" from the interwebz.

My aim here is really to educate beginners about denim first off before I start working into the technicalities of it all. What topics did you have in mind that are not "regurgitated facts"? I am more than happy to take suggestions on what to write about, but in reality there's hardly a thing you wont find on the internet already..

11. whatever123

whatever123 Well-Known Member

yes, there are plenty of entrero's that do exactly that already.

12. djc

djc Well-Known Member

13. 951socal

951socal Well-Known Member

tensile strength increases of various metals blended with denim, IE apc stainless steel vs standard 13 .5oz selv denim.

14. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Well-Known Member

"Dry cleaners use strong detergents which affect the fade." Do they?

There are plenty of arguments against dry cleaning: the effect on the environment, and the chemicals which therefore leach into your denim, but the point of dry cleaning surely is that it leaves jeans un-faded, if you like the look of dry denim.

15. djc

djc Well-Known Member

"Dry cleaners use strong detergents which affect the fade." Do they?

There are plenty of arguments against dry cleaning: the effect on the environment, and the chemicals which therefore leach into your denim, but the point of dry cleaning surely is that it leaves jeans un-faded, if you like the look of dry denim.

Sorry, I meant their chemical solvents. I absentmindedly typed detergent - I will edit that. Thanks for pointing it out.

The dry cleaners use a mixture of chemicals and steam to remove stains and clean the clothing without actually having to put it in the wash. This will affect the raw denim's fading characteristics.

16. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Well-Known Member

The dry cleaners use a mixture of chemicals and steam to remove stains and clean the clothing without actually having to put it in the wash. This will affect the raw denim's fading characteristics.
    How?

My personal experience is that it doesn't affect the future fading characteristics, and I can't see much of a reason it would do so. What's your evidence? You're giving advice to people, would be good to know the basis of your recommendations.

17. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Well-Known Member

I'll reiterate what some have said, and I believe the site is pretty informative for a denim novice.

That being said, I would caution against always pre-soaking before wearing. This can depend on the particular brand and type of denim. I say this because I bought a pair of EP's a few months ago and the soaking process actually relaxed the denim to the point that stretched out like crazy. I then had to wash them in warm water to shrink them back to the original size. Everything turned out fine, but I probably could have gone a bit longer without a soak. I guess my point is soaking is imperative for unsanforized denims, but others should be left to the discretion of the wearer.

18. djc

djc Well-Known Member

Based on my experiences, clothing that goes to the dry cleaner will end up pretty different to coming straight back out of a machine. They feel almost "crispy" due to the solvents used to clean it. Through my experience, call me pedantic, but I have noticed differences to the way the jeans end up fading - and this is probably due to the way it is cleaned. When washed or soaked you will lose indigo in the water, but it is my opinion that the solvents also end up removing some of the indigo as they do to stains. There is no arguing that the chemicals are not the best for fabrics and people would opt out of using those solvents on their jeans just like they would opt for organic or vegetable based detergents to go softer on the indigo. As I mentioned in my post, this topic can be argued for countless days on end. In the end it comes up to your personal preference. This is merely my opinion as I stated in the post - I can't give you the evidence you are looking for but it is just a thought for you to consider. By all means I am not telling anyone to stop washing their jeans their way and follow my way it is simply a guide to point beginners in the right direction. Sorry I'm not able to fully answer your question, but you are completely right in that my response is unproven - if I had the time to plot the evolution of 2 pairs of jeans - 1 washed and 1 dry cleaned to display the difference I would, but sadly I find it difficult enough as it is to wear 1 pair as it is [​IMG]

19. djc

djc Well-Known Member

I'll reiterate what some have said, and I believe the site is pretty informative for a denim novice.

That being said, I would caution against always pre-soaking before wearing. This can depend on the particular brand and type of denim. I say this because I bought a pair of EP's a few months ago and the soaking process actually relaxed the denim to the point that stretched out like crazy. I then had to wash them in warm water to shrink them back to the original size. Everything turned out fine, but I probably could have gone a bit longer without a soak. I guess my point is soaking is imperative for unsanforized denims, but others should be left to the discretion of the wearer.

I thought I had mentioned pre-soaks were for unsanforized denim in my last post - which post are you referring to?

20. djc

djc Well-Known Member