1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Unbelragazzo's magical mystery tour through England

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Jun 16, 2013.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Gents -

I will be traveling through England in early July. I'll be visiting the factories and stores of many forum favorites and posting photos and articles describing my travels. So far already scheduled are stops at G&G, Steed, and Trickers, among others.

Got an English company you want to know more about? Want to meet up for a pint in London? Got a question you want to ask Tony Gaziano or Edwin DeBoise? Post here.

3 people like this.
  2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Would be nice to see something on Poole, founders of the Row, and on many of the big names that haven't already gotten a lot of exposure here (Dege, Huntsman, etc.). There's a whole spectrum of tailoring that SF has hardly touched on.

I'll also put in a plug for James Smith & Sons, one of the most fantastic shops in London.

Have a great trip, Un.

3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

4. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

+1. Sounds like a meet up is in order!

1 person likes this.
  5. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

this sounds great! enjoy!

6. Monkeyface

Indeed, as long as it's in the evening I'd be in!

7. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Well-Known Member

Would be great if you could focus a bit on the smaller tailoring firms that are on, or around, the Row. They don't receive much press or iGent acclaim, but their work is as good as their larger cousins:

1. Denman & Goddard
    2. LG Wilkinson
    3. AJ Hewitt (#'s 1-3 are all in the same building!)
    4. Benson & Clegg
    5. Meyer & Mortimer
    6. Douglas Hayward
    7. Couch & Hoskin
    8. Connock & Lockie

2 people like this.
  8. Eustace Tilley

Oh, and also be sure to visit W. Bill's tweed vault. It really is amazing.

9. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Tell Mr. Gaziano that Mr. Nick is a credit to all retailers.

What a great thread, I look forward to your posts.

10. Coburn

Coburn Well-Known Member

I'd love to know more about them. Wasn't Douglas Hayward the tailor for Sean Connery in 007?

11. Eustace Tilley

No, that was Anthony Sinclair (which is now just a marketing operation, with the suits cut by Meyer & Mortimer).

Hayward cut the suits for Roger Moore's stint as 007. Now run by two former Kilgour cutters.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
    2 people like this.
  12. Monkeyface

Wasn't Sean Connery's cut called the Conduit cut, because the Sinclair was located on Conduit Street? Was that also just marketing, or was his cut significantly different from the Savile Row cuts of that time?

13. unbelragazzo

Thanks for all the recs guys, I will investigate as many as possible. Would love to do a meetup. In London, July 7, 8, or 9 would be best.

14. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

UBR hosted a GTG a while back in Washington DC and I will highly recommend him as an entertaining host/raconteur/listener/etc. Gentlemen in England now-a-bed shall think themselves accurs'd they were not (t)here, and hold their manhoods cheap ... should they not make the effort (within about a 2 hour-ish travel window, give or take).

15. unbelragazzo

Dig, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

16. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Well-Known Member

Agree with much of the above. Another gushing thread on Steed, A&S, G&G, Richard Anderson, Rubi etc. etc. doesn't hold much utility. We've had enough of those.

Taking the example of the tailor's den at 11 St. George's (right off Savile Row) - Denman, Jarvis & Hamilton, LG Wilkinson, Byrne & Burke, Stepehen Hitchcock and AJ Hewitt are all located just a few feet from one another. All are reputed to be very skilled, but, other than Hitchcock, have received scant mention on this forum.

Apart from ETs suggestions, I would also add some firms like Stower's Bespoke (on the Row, and former head cutter at Gieves). M&M also hosts Brian Russell (Fadia Aoun) and Katherine Sargent (another former head cutter of Gieves).

So just by visiting 2 buildings, you would have had a great opportunity to visit close to 10 top notch tailors that aren't well known within the SF community.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

How about visiting Edward Sexton, i have always been curious about his more contemporary approach. Wonder what prices he is charging for bespoke?

18. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

agreed

19. unbelragazzo

There's kind of a compromise to be made between content that will appeal more to the median site visitor and what will appeal to the most dedicated thread readers. I will try to balance as best I can. This also means getting new information on old favorites, like a tour of the Steed Cumbria workshop as opposed to just a look from the road or their SR outpost. There is a lot of posting about some of these places, but that means there is a lot of interest in them. Also a proliferation of posts can be hard to glean information from. It's hard to tell someone who is interested in what Steed is all about to just go check out the A&S expat thread, or to tell someone interested in G&G to read that thread.

I hear you though, and will try to cover some less SFified brands as well.

20. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

One thing you might consider is the practical utility of the information to the most readers. I'd love to read more on the smaller shops, but many of those don't travel. More SFers might benefit from profiles of the tailors that make regular international visits (and I imagine those shops would be the most interested in making time for this enterprise).

A mix of small and large would be nice.