1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Jekyll

Jekyll Well-Known Member

Anyway, I won't quote my old question, but are there any cheap brands to look at for basic sweaters in a variety of colors that would fit me well (6'1", 150 lbs., 36" chest)? Most mall brands are soo boxy TTS, or too short if I size down. Any good options?

I was in H&M last week and they had a table of different colored v-neck sweaters. I'm not sure how they would fit you though.\\

Okay, I recently discovered after converting my wardrobe to "style forum approvedness" it's boring as hell !!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'm sorry, but this is hilarious. This is why you shouldn't buy things just because they are "style forum approved". You should buy things because you like them. If what you like happens to be what SF likes, cool. But there is no point in wearing clothes just so a bunch of people on the internet will approve of you.

2. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Well-Known Member

I will add, though, that unless you have a ton of $$$ at your disposal, simple and tasteful is often the way to go. I'm not sure what you dressed like before, but AA v-neck/stacked 514s/Vans is a hell of a lot better than hideous graphic tee/distressed jawnz that barely reach your ankles/Speedcats.

3. Kodiak

Kodiak Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a spring jacket. I found this Shades of Greige one, but then I've heard that its not as good as it looks on Context. I really like the back/shoulder details. Do you guys think it's worth the $174 and if not, can you recommend some other jackets? http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=808 [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ahjota

ahjota Well-Known Member

Wish I knew too, as well as long sleeve. I'm hoping MJK or KWxTaT are perfecting this, but under 50 is unlikely, unfortunately.

I remember reading in his affiliate thread that Michael, like Kent, much prefers rolling up l/s shirts to wearing s/s shirts.

5. Mazda

Mazda Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a spring jacket. I found this Shades of Greige one, but then I've heard that its not as good as it looks on Context. I really like the back/shoulder details. Do you guys think it's worth the $174 and if not, can you recommend some other jackets?
    http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=808
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just about everyone makes a seasonal military jacket. Pick 3 brands with a sizable men's line and I guarantee two have one.

Off the top of my head I know Scotch & Soda has one right now in olive green. Obey almost always has at least one although the quality is probably Shades of Greige level.

6. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Well-Known Member

I remember reading in his affiliate thread that Michael, like Kent, much prefers rolling up l/s shirts to wearing s/s shirts.

Dis b how I roll b/c I b peasant status.

7. minimalist

minimalist Well-Known Member

great idea for a thread. i guess i'll ask for help as well.

Does anyone know where I can get(hopefully onlnie) a linen hoodie, or a reeeally thin hoodie? I am basically looking for a beach hoodie, which intrigued me when i saw this in GQ
    http://www.revolveclothing.com/Displ...1&c=N.S.F.&d=b

However 170 for something i'm gonna throw on after some beach time. I would have pulled the trigger if it was 50 like gq said it was, but i digress. any help people?

I don't know if this might be what you are looking for (it's definately not linen, though...)?

link

It is made by Hanes and seems to be quite nice. I don't own one myself but I am planning to purchase one within the next months [​IMG] The link is from Ebay Germany, but you should be able to find a vendor within your reach [​IMG]

8. bohemianmidnight

bohemianmidnight Well-Known Member

wmmk: H&M merino wool v-necks are super slim, i got one in small and it is almost tight. A medium would probably be slim enough and long enough for you.

9. 2sweet

2sweet Well-Known Member

Nice jacket. It's up to you to decide if the price is worth it. I found a bomber jacket about a year or two ago for $30, and I'm still wearin' it, lovin' it.

I'm looking for a spring jacket. I found this Shades of Greige one, but then I've heard that its not as good as it looks on Context. I really like the back/shoulder details. Do you guys think it's worth the $174 and if not, can you recommend some other jackets?
    http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=808
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Steggy

Steggy Well-Known Member

I don't know if this might be what you are looking for (it's definately not linen, though...)?

link

It is made by Hanes and seems to be quite nice. I don't own one myself but I am planning to purchase one within the next months [​IMG] The link is from Ebay Germany, but you should be able to find a vendor within your reach [​IMG]

I'll probably try giving it a shot if i can find it. price seems like it'd be worth it. I've seen some similar hoodie t's from american eagle and lacoste, but i'd rather not have the logos or appliques. goddamn nsf's prices are ridiculous. oh well.

11. blackdarkeye

blackdarkeye Well-Known Member

are there any shoes that look like this? [​IMG] they dont have to look exactly like, i just want a simple white shoe, with minimal logoing for under 80

12. racetrack

racetrack Well-Known Member

are there any shoes that look like this?

[​IMG]

they dont have to look exactly like, i just want a simple white shoe, with minimal logoing for under 80

Adidas Stan Smiths

13. wmmk

wmmk Well-Known Member

I was in H&M last week and they had a table of different colored v-neck sweaters. I'm not sure how they would fit you though.\\

wmmk: H&M merino wool v-necks are super slim, i got one in small and it is almost tight. A medium would probably be slim enough and long enough for you.

Interesting, thanks! I was looking at their sweaters over the winter, but most were in really gaudy, eurotrashy shades of electric pink and purple. Is their spring stuff a little more subdued, color-wise? I've been looking for some nice v-necks/cardis in navy, charcoal, caramel/tan (kinda like that one robbie posted the other day), pink, and green.

14. bohemianmidnight

bohemianmidnight Well-Known Member

At the store near me, they had light gray, charcoal, muted blueish/purpleish, a pretty bright pink, and some others i don't recall.

15. minimalist

minimalist Well-Known Member

I'll probably try giving it a shot if i can find it. price seems like it'd be worth it. I've seen some similar hoodie t's from american eagle and lacoste, but i'd rather not have the logos or appliques. goddamn nsf's prices are ridiculous. oh well.

I tried to find a vendor in the USA (assuming you're from there), but have not been able to... Google is of no real help when it comes to shopping [​IMG] Here is a link to an Ebay seller in the Uk, but due to shipping it's still pretty expensive, about 30 buxx including shipping... [​IMG]

16. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

are there any shoes that look like this?

[​IMG]

they dont have to look exactly like, i just want a simple white shoe, with minimal logoing for under 80

Adidas Stan Smiths

The shoes pictured are Rod Laver Vintage. Kinda hard to find these days but definitely possible.

Anyway, these beat the hell out of regular Stan Smith 2, quality-wise: Tennis Vintage

These aren't bad either: Court Star

17. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Well-Known Member

What type of suit/tie color combo for a wedding if I'm wearing a blackish suit?

18. chrispy179

chrispy179 Well-Known Member

looking for a slim fitting summer non-denim trouser. preferably under 100$

looked at levis but didnt see anything very slim

19. wmmk

wmmk Well-Known Member

What type of suit/tie color combo for a wedding if I'm wearing a blackish suit?
    don't wear a black suit to your wedding. navy or gray would be better. the classic "wedding tie" is grey and patterned. any shirt you want is ok.

that's not to say you can't deviate from that. my parents got married outside in the summer and dad wore a navy sack blazer, seersucker trousers, a white and red candy striped shirt, and a grey tie. it looked pretty classy, IMHO.

looking for a slim fitting summer non-denim trouser. preferably under 100$

looked at levis but didnt see anything very slim

try uniqlo or H&M. check the uniqlo uk website to see what they have, then call the nyc store to order it.

20. chrispy179

chrispy179 Well-Known Member

try uniqlo or H&M. check the uniqlo uk website to see what they have, then call the nyc store to order it.[/quote]

Never found a good fit in H&m pants. Dont see anything much on uniqlo uk.