1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Venser

Venser Well-Known Member

What shoes go best with a black suit?

2. 4characters

4characters Well-Known Member

black shell cordovan Aldens

3. Bortelli

Bortelli Well-Known Member

I forgot to put the question in my post like an idiot. Does anyone know a shirt similar to the H&M fit, but of better quality?

4. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

Charvet But it would help if you provided a budget range.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  5. Bortelli

A ballpark of 60 dollars. Less would be better! :)

6. rjbman

rjbman Well-Known Member

Looking for some black overdyed denim in a slim tapered fit (not skinny), preferably selvedge and in something for a 33 waist and 34+ inseam. Budget: would like it under $100 but I'm willing to look at stuff up to $150. So far all I've found is Levi's Commuter Trousers.

7. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

If your budget is less than $100, I don't think you should bother getting shirts anywhere besides Uniqlo. Maybe Brooks Bros on sale if their fits work for you. If you're going to have to alter them anyway, you might as well just go with Uniqlo.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  8. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

Ah - Charvet won't work. Take this advice. BB may be a bit baggier than Uniqlo and H&M and I doubt the quality is materially better (if at all).

9. Bortelli

I was considering just getting a duplicate of my h&m noniron shirt, using an online tailor such as modern tailor. Your thoughts? Should I go this route? I've been on the site and its 20 for a promo shirt, but Im not entirely sure how reputable they are.

10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Online MTM is fine, but expect a trial and error process. Modern tailor is an affiliate vendor here.

11. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

If you have a fit you like, MTM can work. I've had the best luck actually sending the shirt to the tailor and having them measure. I see a lot of people of this forum take their own measurements and then say they messed up. It's nice that you can pick the fabric - it gives way more choices than RTW. As cyc wid it says, it may need some tweaking to realy nail the fit but any decent MTM tailor will want your repeat business so will try and improve the fit with time.

12. a bag of it

a bag of it Well-Known Member

I live on the coast of Massachusetts where the typical "well dressed" uniform is boat shoes, khaki shorts and a button down/polo. What are some items I can pickup to deviate from the norm that won't leave me sweating buckets in 80-95+ weather with high humidity? I am probably going to pickup some quoddy boat mocs because they're different enough from regular boat shoes that I like them a lot. I was thinking of picking up some espadrilles, but it seems that only women wear them. Linen pants have been suggested as an alternative to shorts. You guys have any other suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

13. jhwendland

jhwendland Well-Known Member

Brooks Brothers is immeasurably better than H&M, although I can't speak to the quality of Uniqlo.

14. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Well-Known Member

Looking for a plain black fitted cap. Any nice alternatives to New Era?

Also, looking for black sneakers similar to Common Projects' Achilles model, but with white soles. The only CPs out right now that fit that description are perforated, unfortunately. Anything I should look into that isn't full of holes?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  15. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

Sure, linen pants, or linen pants with a little cotton, or even masculine capri pants, such as http://camp1899.com/him/tag/mens-capri-pants

Focusing on lighter-weight materials for shirts (e.g., lightweight cotton probably <= 6 oz., linen, and bamboo) could make at least as much of a difference.

16. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

Masculine Capri pants?

3 people like this.
  17. jhwendland

Can someone revoke this guy's Senior Member title?

18. jhwendland

And if you're feeling like a real ubermensch, slip into a pair of ballet flats.

19. mensimageconsultant

[the double-posting returns]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  20. mensimageconsultant

Unlike most capri pants, those look reasonably masculine.