1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Ike

Ike Well-Known Member

Can u guys recommend me a decent leather jacket (preferably a bomber) in a $200 - 400 range?
    The schott flight jacket on Orvis is down to $475. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...ubcat_id=22499

Seems like a pretty good buy for a more classic option.

2. Mudhiker

Mudhiker Well-Known Member

Mocc socks or equivalent for loafers. I think J crew and some other places sell them as well in a similar cut. The other option - women's no-show socks. I have used them in the past.

Otherwise, avoid cotton. Get some cheapo workout socks from Target/Champion and splurge on some wool socks like Wigwams/Thorlos. Smartwool is also a great option, especially just basic black ones for dressing up. I either wear wool socks or no sock, depending on the season...

Yes yes. Thorlos and Smartwool are great. Also Smart Socks (which is not related to Smartwool.)

3. voyaging

voyaging Well-Known Member

how out of your price range? you could try and wait for sales or get them second handed. if i really wanted chelseas i'd just save up for those. or troll b&s (the mc side too).

By out of my price range, I mean that I COULD afford them, but I'd like to keep them under $300 or so.

I'm also a bit wary about their style. Not a huge fan of the front loop.

4. Ike

Ike Well-Known Member

By out of my price range, I mean that I COULD afford them, but I'd like to keep them under $300 or so.

I'm also a bit wary about their style. Not a huge fan of the front loop.

Gilt has been running a cotton bomber from Trovata for under $100 for a while in a charcoal-black and in a rusty orange color. Might be a good starting point, if you're into Trovata's style (which I personally am). It's classic with a little twist and is fully lined.

5. jaychiz

jaychiz Well-Known Member

what's should i be picking up for my 3rd (and hopefully final) pair of denim

i've got 2 pairs of N&F weird guys, dark and heavy for fall/winter, light and thin for spring/winter so i'm partial to the tapered fit

wanting something with contrast stitching, interesting coloured stitch on indigo would be ideal, no idea what brand i should be looking into though, hopefully something stiff which wears and stacks well, raw selvedge unwashed

6. cowsareforeating

cowsareforeating Well-Known Member

i am going to be honest and say that I am not a fan of naked and famous... the denim quality feels like paper to me.

i'd say save up a bit more and try to get some flat heads. They're not especially stiff but they fade fast and gorgeously. Other recommendation would be pbj's. their slubby denim fades well and they have some more eclectic styles i think its the xx-011's that have purple weft...
    both the above brands have many many cuts that you can choose from and the denim quality is top notch and are a big step up from n&f

7. vaalbara

vaalbara Well-Known Member

Gilt has been running a cotton bomber from Trovata for under $100 for a while in a charcoal-black and in a rusty orange color. Might be a good starting point, if you're into Trovata's style (which I personally am). It's classic with a little twist and is fully lined.

do you have any idea how warm that jacket is?

8. Koaxke

Koaxke Well-Known Member

Alright, so I'm finally trying to develop a bit of fashion after wearing just whatever for the past few years. I have a decently skinny build (I normally wear a size 30 waist) and am pretty white if that factors into fashion at all. The shoes are the only thing that are decent in my opinion (although I could be completely wrong), so I guess I'll go from there. Here are the shoes that I'm currently wearing.

http://www.amazon.com/PUMA-Mens-Drif...=pd_sbs_shoe_7

I've been toying with the idea of getting some APCs, or something similar that would hopefully be under $150 for some time now, so what do you guys think of that? Also, I have absolutely no idea what to do as far as shirts go if I do get a darker pair of jeans like APCs, so does anyone have any recommendations?

9. cowsareforeating

generic reply:

jack purcells/pf flyers

or save up for common projects.

what are you into? oxfords? flannels? its a lot about personal taste.

nothing wrong with a perfectly fitting white t and raw denim. note: raw denim stains shoes.

10. Koaxke

Koaxke Well-Known Member

I don't really need the shoe recommendations, unless you believe that the shoes are atrocious. As far as what I'm into, I don't really like flannels and for the winter I'm more into just thermal looking long sleeve shirts. Different variations of stuff like this is what I've been mostly wearing:

http://www.target.com/Mossimo-Therma.../dp/B003ODMSC8

11. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Well-Known Member

Pumas were/are never fashionable. Good soccer cleats though.

12. thunderthighs

thunderthighs Well-Known Member

I read on here that Levi's 514 are cut just like 501's except slimmer. How accurate is this?
    And what is the "color" or style number design/color of regular, original 501 jeans? I haven't given much of a look, but the last department store I went to look for 514's had a bunch of faded, ugly faux distressed 514's. I was hoping to find 514's that look like original 501's, if you get me [​IMG]. Help !

Not very accurate based on my recent experience with those models, but it also depends on who you talk to and how long ago they compared the two. The 501 has been ninja revised many times through its life. My impression from trying on many different 501's and 514's over the past couple of months is that they are essentially cut the same except for the rise. The 514 in particular can vary slightly in fit and cut across the different finishes, and it seems that the better ones (i.e. no stupid faux distressing) can only be bought online or from an actual Levi store.

At 6' and 180 lbs I find both to be a little baggy through the legs unless you size down one (or even two) and suffer through a day or two of seat and waist stretching. I am a measured 34 waist but take true to size on shrink-to-fit 501's and 33x32 on 514's.

13. Koaxke

Koaxke Well-Known Member

Pumas were/are never fashionable. Good soccer cleats though.

I'm assuming that the black and white Jack Purcell's would be a good idea then since the raw denim would stain other colored shoes?

14. cowsareforeating

depends if you "like" the stain (you can also put masking tape on the inside of your jeans. or wait till you wash them)

but yes. black where your jeans meat ur shoes helps.

i think hp+ makes some good thermals. (not sure)

15. Prada_Ferragamo

I'm assuming that the black and white Jack Purcell's would be a good idea then since the raw denim would stain other colored shoes?

It doesn't matter. they are purcells. Stains don't hurt them.

16. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Hey there. So I'm currently in the market for a good-looking, velvet pinstripe blazer in either black or brown; to be used primarily for just walking around downtown, darting in and out of bookstores, or on dates, etc. with a nice or not so nice pair of jeans. If there's one that wouldn't feel entirely out of place on a high school or college instructor, that would be a great bonus. Present difficulties: I don't know the difference between a sport coat and a blazer. I can rarely tell what's appropriate for business v. casual attire (in my case, classroom v. casual, I guess). I'm 5'9 and broad-shouldered, so shoulder padding often makes me look short and comical, I think (though I've been told I'm just not used to formal-ish wear). I'm also fifteen pounds overweight, so I detest extra fabric around the middle. Lighter material, sleeker cuts look better on me; I just lack the vocabulary to know what to ask for, apparently. I like the above coat -- Calvin Klein, $50 on eBay. Not my size, though. I'm guess I'm in the market for *any* kind of recommendation, as I routinely see even high-end stuff pop-up in thrift stores, on eBay, etc. for reasonable-ish prices. Also seeking opinions on this kind of look in general! I'm getting real job-y jobs now, so my typical youthful disregard for The Rulez is...fading. Apologies for the long-winded-ness. Advice is appreciated. [​IMG] (P.S. Why velvet? I find that when you wear it, strange women come up and touch you. This I like...)

17. Ike

Ike Well-Known Member

do you have any idea how warm that jacket is?

Spring jacket.

18. Ike

Ike Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hey there. So I'm currently in the market for a good-looking, velvet pinstripe blazer in either black or brown; to be used primarily for just walking around downtown, darting in and out of bookstores, or on dates, etc. with a nice or not so nice pair of jeans.

If there's one that wouldn't feel entirely out of place on a high school or college instructor, that would be a great bonus.

Present difficulties:

I don't know the difference between a sport coat and a blazer. I can rarely tell what's appropriate for business v. casual attire (in my case, classroom v. casual, I guess).

I'm 5'9 and broad-shouldered, so shoulder padding often makes me look short and comical, I think (though I've been told I'm just not used to formal-ish wear). I'm also fifteen pounds overweight, so I detest extra fabric around the middle. Lighter material, sleeker cuts look better on me; I just lack the vocabulary to know what to ask for, apparently.

I like the above coat -- Calvin Klein, $50 on eBay. Not my size, though. I'm guess I'm in the market for *any* kind of recommendation, as I routinely see even high-end stuff pop-up in thrift stores, on eBay, etc. for reasonable-ish prices.

Also seeking opinions on this kind of look in general! I'm getting real job-y jobs now, so my typical youthful disregard for The Rulez is...fading.

Apologies for the long-winded-ness. Advice is appreciated. [​IMG]

(P.S. Why velvet? I find that when you wear it, strange women come up and touch you. This I like...)

I'd consider velvet pretty passe in about 99% of circumstances - the other 1% involving heads of state. There are other fabrics that also have some texture to them. However, if your primary interest is getting laid and the girls you frequent like velvet, by all means.

19. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm open to all similar fabrics. Just looking for a fun pinstripe jacket with an approximate look and feel; if velvet's going to get me laughed out of a room, I'd definitely prefer to know.

20. Prada_Ferragamo

Velvet jackets can be luxurious and sexy if cut right with a clean silhouette. That jacket is however fugly. Also Calvin Klein is not high end.