1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ugolini

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johninla, Oct 13, 2006.

1. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

When I was there there were two Japanese girls and two Italian guys(one has since left) working in the bespoke atelier on Borgo San Frediano, and one Japanese fellow working at the shop on via di Camaldoli.

I'm considering a trip to Florence in the near future.

2. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

According to Tony Gaziano, many Japanese apprentice in Europe. There's apparently quite a lively bespoke shoe industry in Japan.

--Andre

3. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

That's possible. From what I saw he's got quite a few people working as apprentices in his shops. Every single one that I saw was from Japan.

Mathew, are you planning a trip to Florence anytime soon?

Didn't see Daniel Day-Lewis, eh?

4. Demeter

Demeter Well-Known Member

Didn't see Daniel Day-Lewis, eh?

I missed him, too, sadly. [​IMG]

5. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Don't worry. None of these guys have seen him for several years.

6. Chris "Italia"

Chris "Italia" Well-Known Member

Which Bespoke shoes would you get: Ugolini, or Riccardo Freccia Besseti or Bemer?

7. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Cost, highest to lowest:

Bemer

Bestetti

Ugolini

8. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

Which Bespoke shoes would you get: Ugolini, or Riccardo Freccia Besseti or Bemer?

the question rages on

9. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

It is a bit more commercial, what with the second store, Valextra etc. Nothing wrong with that IMO. IMO, the best makers are the ones who have enough business sense to stay in business and not have to cut corners to pay bills.

Another easy mark for the merchant prince business model. You're obviously not asking the right people for advice.

10. gazman70k

gazman70k Well-Known Member

Beijing | Hong Kong | Manila | Shanghai | Singapor
    A lot of good stuff on this thread. To clarify, the RTW are made in-house in a seperate factory and according to Mario Bemer, Stefano's brother and head of the RTW operations, they are all hand finished.

I am a fan of Bemer and his RTW holds its own against the usual suspects like G&G, Vass, etc.

As for the Valextra range the finishing is, for the lack of a better description, less sophisticated. However, given the fire sale prices at the Hong Kong Valextra boutique, its bloody good value.

Here is a tease...
    [​IMG]

11. agbassano

agbassano Well-Known Member

Are you sure they were Japanese working there and NOT Chinese (Cinesi as they are called there)?

I have an Italian cousin who works for a factory manufacturing clothes in Tuscany for all the designers, and even the Italians are now going to i Cinesi for leather made goods. If you go to Florence, it's definitely worth going to Prato (perhaps less than 10k north of Florence) or Pistoia (10K north of Prato). There are many workshops there that are either local small cobblers or manufacture for all the big names. Actually the whole area north and west of Florence (all the way to Pisa) is full of such places, and will cost you at least HALF what the Florentines charge. Be very specific of what you want. There is some comfort however in names like Bemer and Ugolini, but you can find many wonderful producers that are not commercial or brand names. The only caveat is that English is not generally an option outside of Florence with the small calzolaio shops...

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Are you sure they were Japanese working there and NOT Chinese (Cinesi as they are called there)?

I have an Italian cousin who works for a factory manufacturing clothes in Tuscany for all the designers, and even the Italians are now going to i Cinesi for leather made goods. If you go to Florence, it's definitely worth going to Prato (perhaps less than 10k north of Florence) or Pistoia (10K north of Prato). There are many workshops there that are either local small cobblers or manufacture for all the big names. Actually the whole area north and west of Florence (all the way to Pisa) is full of such places, and will cost you at least HALF what the Florentines charge. Be very specific of what you want. There is some comfort however in names like Bemer and Ugolini, but you can find many wonderful producers that are not commercial or brand names. The only caveat is that English is not generally an option outside of Florence with the small calzolaio shops...

Do you know a Dr. Teplitz?

13. agbassano

Do you know a Dr. Teplitz?

No, is he in Prato? If you suggest, I will definitely look him up on my next trip...

14. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

No, is he in Prato? If you suggest, I will definitely look him up on my next trip...

He is primarily in denial.

15. agbassano

16. pabloj

pabloj Well-Known Member

Iammatt, did you receive the shoes from Ugolini? Are you satisfied?
    Thaks

17. DutchDaedalus

DutchDaedalus Well-Known Member