1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Two button navy blazer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by darkoak, Feb 6, 2005.

1. darkoak

darkoak Well-Known Member

I just saw former President George HW Bush at the Super Bowl opening ceremonies, wearing a navy blue blazer with his trademark repp ties. What struck me however was that he buttoned both buttons of his blazer. I thought you were supposed to just button the top one. Comments?

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

You are.  He's an old man.  Or maybe it's a Skull and Bones thing.   In any case, don't button the bottom button.  Ever.

3. tdial

tdial Well-Known Member

Perhaps GHWB is setting a trend to be followed by thousands of young Republican prep schoolers and Ivy Leaguers... [​IMG]

4. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Time was, prep schoolers and Ivy Leaguers knew better, whether Democrat or Republican. Where are the Trad dudes when you need 'em?

5. tdial

tdial Well-Known Member

(tdial @ Feb. 06 2005,20:23) Perhaps GHWB is setting a trend to be followed by thousands of young Republican prep schoolers and Ivy Leaguers...
    Time was, prep schoolers and Ivy Leaguers knew better, whether Democrat or Republican. Â Where are the Trad dudes when you need 'em?
    Joltin' Joe has left and gone away, Manton.

6. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Too bad. A nation turns its lonely eyes to them.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Let's compare and contrast shall we?

Bush:

Shirt sleeves are not visible, both buttons are buttoned, and suit is improperly cut as seen by all the wrinkles in the side of his suit above the flap pocket, lapels seem rather flat.

Clinton:

Visible shirt sleeves, suit has a minimal wait curvature, but is cut perfectly for the "˜Washington' look, only the top button is buttoned, lapels curve nicely and seem to have some body.

I guess Clinton won this sartorial round.

Jon.

8. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

When he is not wearing Donna Karan, Clinton would win most sartorial rounds. (I heard that he and Donna had a falling out. If true, it's the best thing that ever happened to his style.)

9. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

Anyone whose weight fluctuates a lot has to think carefully about his clothes.

Don't ask me how I know.

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Bush and Clinton's suits in that picture is like night and day. Bush's look like it came straight out of Men's Wearhouse.

11. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

I get the impression that neither guy showed up in Jacksonville with those jackets. What are the chances that both Clinton and Bush own the exact same jacket?

At any rate, neither guy looked particularly good in those jackets.

Why exactly was Clinton taking part in a tribute to WWII soldiers?

12. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

I figure Clinton was taking part in a WWII tribute because he used to the President of the United States. Love him or hate him, thats what he used to be. Last I checked you didnt have to fight in WWII to be a part of a tribute. Thats kind of the idea of a "tribute" no?

13. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

The only guy who looked good in his suit all night was Michael Douglas, although McCartney tried hard to get the rock star look down.  

Clinton looked and sounded very uncomfortable during the entire tribute, even turning the attention away from soldiers in warzones now after a nice alley-oop from Bush.  [non-sequitor follows] Anyone else think those guys must be getting to be buddies now, between the tsunami relief, and the Superbowl and all?

Tom

14. tdial

tdial Well-Known Member

I can't even enjoy a simple half-time show anymore thanks to this forum and Ask Andy. While I agree with you about Douglas's suit looking nice, he left the top button unbuttoned on his three button suit that was designed to have the top button buttoned. He had no lapel roll, which made the suit look unbalanced without the top button buttoned. Sigh.

15. Fashionslave

Fashionslave Well-Known Member

Here Pres. Bill demonstrates proper sleeve length. [​IMG]

16. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

I have to disagree that they're different jackets - Clinton is wearing his much better, but I have to assume those were either given to them there, or it's like the Master's, and when you leave the White House, they put the far-too-blue navy blazer on your shoulders... That said, I do enjoy seeing old presidents hanging out. I'd like to imagine that they went to Hooters afterwards.

17. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

I've thought that for a while - especially after they spent quite a bit of time talking after the Reagan funeral.

I don't think it's all that surprising though - there have only been 42 Presidents in 200+ years of American history and only 5 are currently living. No doubt you would have some camaraderie despite disagreements about specific policies and ideology.

Bradford

18. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

Yes, it seems they are becoming at least pleasant acquaintances. My politics certainly differ from Clinton's (or Bush's, for that matter), but I think he would be a great guy to chat with and watch the SuperBowl with.

Those have to be supplied jackets, but Clinton obviously pulls it off much better. Why, oh why should Presidents of the United States be provided with those, well, ugly blazers for such an event? Do they really need to match?

Both were there as former "Commanders-in-Chief," which is why Clinton was there. Well, that and the fact there was the largest tv audience in the world watching the SuperBowl.

19. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

A brief story - a guy I know, an extremely conservative, hardcore Republican (although not a Christian Coalition-type), just recently graduated from Pepperdine Law School. In his first year, he got invited to a party in LA that Bill Clinton was also attending. Now this guy detested Clinton as President, and had actually interned on the hill for a Republican member of Congress when Clinton was President.

However, when he was introduced to Bill and had a few minutes to chat with him, he said, Bill Clinton was the most amazing person to talk to that he had ever met. According to my friend, Clinton's personality was such that you truly felt that he cared about you, was interested in what you had to say and was focused exclusively on you.

Even though my friend would still never vote for Bill or support his politics, he really was incredibly impressed by his charisma and ability to connect with people.

Take it for what it's worth...

Bradford