1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tuxedo Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JLibourel, Mar 20, 2005.

1. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

Thread revival alert!

I have a question for the hard-core tux traditionalists around here. It is often said, and said in fact in this very thread, that tuxedo shoes should be plain toe oxfords or pumps. If the rule against captoes is so strict, however, then why do companies like Crockett & Jones sell captoe patent leather oxfords?

http://www.plal.com/images/cj/2007-0...-34_edited.jpg

[​IMG]

Fire away!

2. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Thread revival alert!

I have a question for the hard-core tux traditionalists around here. It is often said, and said in fact in this very thread, that tuxedo shoes should be plain toe oxfords or pumps. If the rule against captoes is so strict, however, then why do companies like Crockett & Jones sell captoe patent leather oxfords?

Fire away!

A stitched cap oxford is the original plain toe. Personally, I think it's more formal than a whole cut.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I can't help thinking how these patent leather Aldens on the right would look great with a tuxedo. [​IMG] Thanks to the exiled Horace for the idea.

4. overdog

overdog Well-Known Member

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

part of the fun in going to a black tie event or a wedding or whatever, is getting to dress up and looking your spiffiest and a few accessories that you can add to bring out your individuality within tact and taste.

since my joy in clothing usually amounts only to footwear, i wouldnt be able to stand wearing generic patent shoes to be like the rest. i always wear a shoe that stands out within tact and taste.

how about something like this , a Vass Londoner in black, put a high polish to it and wear it to your next black tie event

[​IMG]

6. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

A stitched cap oxford is the original plain toe. Personally, I think it's more formal than a whole cut.

Perhaps the wholecut is a special case where less does not mean more but I find the general rule applies to a plain toe bal that looks more formal than one with stitched toe cap.

[​IMG]

7. LabelKing

I really like these pumps:

[​IMG]

8. nmoraitis

nmoraitis Well-Known Member

Matt's rant in the button boot thread got me thinking that if most members on SF think button boots are cartoony (which I agree with), are not pumps just as cartoony? They also seem like footware from a bygone era.

9. LabelKing

I don't like a laceup with a tuxedo. It sort of reminds me of a long necktie with a tuxedo.

10. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

Matt's rant in the button boot thread got me thinking that if most members on SF think button boots are cartoony (which I agree with), are not pumps just as cartoony? They also seem like footware from a bygone era.

+1

11. LabelKing

I like to think of pumps as a bit of a F-U to contemporary convention.

12. TCN

TCN Well-Known Member

I have a pair of calf-skin pumps.

+1

I get more compliments from women when I wear my calf pumps. They're an elegant shoe, and I have no issue at all wearing them.

13. TCN

TCN Well-Known Member

I like to think of pumps as a bit of a F-U to contemporary convention.

Indeed, they are the anti-"out of shape, golfer, bussinessman, polo shirt and dockers, rental looking tuxedo with a wing collar and fake bow-tie" look shoe. [​IMG]

14. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Well-Known Member

I like the idea of wearing velvet or grosgrain slippers to a black-tie wedding. I'm in the market and looking to buy in the next couple days. Can I get some opinions on this?

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

The rule about wearing patent leather with black tie is one of the rules I break. I agree that patent leather is the traditional choice. However, for some reason, I just can't bring myself to wear patent leather shoes. To my eye, they look cheap (even the nice ones.)
    I completely agree. And Jan, I'd be very leery of counseling the joys of the pump. They are so out there that he will think you have gone completely round the bend and thus not pay attention to anything else you say. Plaintoe, black, very, very well polished. Or patent, but that's not for me. ~Huntsman

16. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Goodness, how these old threads do get revived! For all the good advice contained in this thread, as it turns out, my boy is now in his fifth year in the fraternity and has never had occasion to wear black tie. The few lounge suits I have bought him suffice him just fine, and he claims he is by far the best dressed young man in the chapter. A sizable percentage of the lads go to "formal" events in shirt and tie (sans coat). James wears A-E bluchers with the suits, even though I have tried to get him into bals. Compared the footgear favored by most of his fraternity brothers, I doubt if he is committing a grievous faux pas!

17. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Well, the update was good, thanks. There has been much necroposting of late.

18. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

another bump.

what are thoughts on black, plain, velvet slippers? these would be for my wedding

[​IMG]

19. JeffsWood

JeffsWood Well-Known Member

I know it is wrong, but I wear some very high polished AE park avenues with my DJ.

20. stant62

stant62 Well-Known Member

I know it is wrong, but I wear some very high polished AE park avenues with my DJ.

What's wrong about this? The non-patent leather balmorals or the AEs?

sorry.