1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tuxedo-Prom

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kpphy88, Apr 17, 2005.

1. kpphy88

kpphy88 Member

To FIHTies: [​IMG] Thanks for the kind words. It really made my day [​IMG] . Btw, I don't have a subcription to GQ, I just read at the library (haha another frugal habit I have). I don't see the price of the magazine being justified by its content. But thanks again. To Manton: What is an SB vest? Also, do you think I would be able to find bow ties at Nordstrom?

2. kpphy88

kpphy88 Member

To FIHTies: [​IMG] Thanks for the kind words. It really made my day [​IMG] . Btw, I don't have a subcription to GQ, I just read at the library (haha another frugal habit I have). I don't see the price of the magazine being justified by its content. But thanks again. To Manton: What is an SB vest? Also, do you think I would be able to find bow ties at Nordstrom?

3. Roy

Roy Well-Known Member

SB = Single Breasted

4. kpphy88

kpphy88 Member

Well, I went to AfterHours at the mall tonight with my Mom (I felt that i would receive better service that way). Although i had my heart set on a Peak lapel one or two button, my Mom and I agreed that the Tommy Hilfiger (Yes I know his stuff isn't that great) one button notch lapel tuxedo looked a lot better than the two button peak lapel I was considering (AfterHours house brand). And so, I chose that tuxedo, rented shoes w/ square toes (not much else of a description given, but its only one night), black vest, black bow tie and point collar. I also bought a silk white pocket square from Nordstrom. Now, I have one final (I hope) question.

1. Braces/Suspenders- I don't think the rental outlet will provide these. Are they necessary? The vest would be covering them up anyways.

5. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Well-Known Member

They are necessary if you don't want to have to pull your pants up a thousand times during the night. Unfortunately I don't think I've ever seen a rental tux with buttons for braces.

6. kpphy88

kpphy88 Member

Oh that's not good. If this is true, no buttons for braces, that is, would a belt be acceptable? I mean it would be covered by the vest.

7. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Well-Known Member

Well, there aren't going to be belt loops either. You'll have side tabs for adjustment, but they may or may not be sufficient.

8. PHV

PHV Well-Known Member

a cummerbund? Are you joking? He wants to spend the rest of the night in the back seat of his car, not in the bathroom stall getting his head shoved in a toilet.

9. policy

policy Active Member

Thank God someone else is a product of American Public Schools. Not even the band geeks at my school that formed a circle to sing/perform the Rocky Horror Picture show time travel song wore cummerbunds.

10. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

hehehe.

good luck with the backseat thing kpphy. And im guessing from your handle, you were born in 1988. God, Im really getting old.

*shudder*

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Now, I am not a fan of the cummerbund in general but what is so wrong about them to warrant such treatment?

12. Roy

Roy Well-Known Member

a cummerbund? Are you joking? He wants to spend the rest of the night in the back seat of his car, not in the bathroom stall getting his head shoved in a toilet.
    Thank God someone else is a product of American Public Schools. Not even the band geeks at my school that formed a circle to sing/perform the Rocky Horror Picture show time travel song wore cummerbunds.
    Funnily enough there are very few people overhere wearing vests.

13. kpphy88

kpphy88 Member

(PHV @ April 21 2005,18:51) a cummerbund? Are you joking? He wants to spend the rest of the night in the back seat of his car, not in the bathroom stall getting his head shoved in a toilet.
    hehehe. good luck with the backseat thing kpphy. And im guessing from your handle, you were born in 1988. God, Im really getting old. *shudder*
    Lol thanks m@t, but I'm hoping to keep my virginity until marriage (religious and personal values). =] But what do you mean "your handle?"

14. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

oh yeah? im trying to reinstate mine...failing miserably

handle = your name (which has the 88 in it)

have a great night

Matt

15. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

I went with a friend who still has quite a good deal of growth left and no similarly-sized relatives and was thus forced to rent to Ascot Tuxedos.

The horror. In addition to the traditional garish colors, shoddy craftsmanship, and fake ties/studs/vests, they actually had (imitation) patent leather BASKETBALL SHOES. I also found it amusing that they advertised their wing collar shirts with the points above the tie, and that upon examination of said shirts they seemed to be designed to be worn in such a way.

16. kpphy88

kpphy88 Member

Yeah I totally feel you. They had some horrendous stuff. Anywho, I have been pondering on one more thing lately. Should I go and spend $30+ on a self-tie bow tie or just use hte rental alreayd tied one? Does a self-tied one look that much better?

17. kpphy88

kpphy88 Member

18. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

It does to me.

19. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

(kpphy88 @ April 25 2005,00:11) Does a self-tied one look that much better?
    It does to me.
    Plus, just knowing that your that much more of a cognoscente will boost your confidence and thus help attract the femmes.