1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Turtleneck advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BarePaw, Oct 22, 2004.

1. BarePaw

BarePaw Active Member

Today I wore faded blue jeans with a black fleece (full zipper, not pullover) over a dark blue turtleneck. The turtleneck was tucked into the jeans.
    1. Should I have tucked the turtleneck in?
    2. Can I wear a fleece with the collar up around a turtleneck?
    I don't usually wear turtlenecks, so I'm not sure what is currently accepted. However, I am trying to get used to wearing things close to my neck. It used to bother me to wear neckties and button top buttons, but I'm getting better about it.

2. artdeco73

artdeco73 Well-Known Member

I think wearing a fleece jacket over a turtleneck is perfectly fine. I do it when it's cold outside and I need to do something relatively active, something that requires clothes in which I will be able to move about comfortably. Frankly, I find fleece jackets unattractive in the grand scheme of things, so I wear mine in situations where what I look like isn't that important. They are all about comfort and warmth without bulk. So I don't think it's a question of what's accepted or not, it's a question of whether you are comfortable in a combination of a fleece jacket and a turtleneck.

All that said, to me a concern about your proposed outfit would be black over dark blue. To me, those colors always clash, with the incomprehensible exception of black shoes with a navy suit. But of course if it's not about the look in the first place, then the black/dark blue combination perhaps doesn't matter either.

Regards,
    Tony

Edit: Whether you tuck the turtleneck in or not is again all about which you find more comfortable.