1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tumi or Rimowa

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Francisco, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Francisco

Francisco Well-Known Member

Dear All, I would appreciate your valuale feedback through what you have experience with your luggage.

I am planning to get a cabin size and maybe a 29" as well. I have been to both Tumi and Rimowa shops and both brands gave me 2 different opinions of them .I found Tumi to be more functuional with the suit hanger compartment, extentable etc whereas Rimowa was more of durable and looks. Tumi seems to be more expensive compoare to the Salsa range of Rimowa too.

Which one should I get?

2. Lusitano

Lusitano Well-Known Member

Why not the best of both?

Cabin trolly= Tumi, much more functional and lightweighted.

29"= Rimowa Salsa, even fragile items like bottles can be transported secure.

3. Francisco

Isn't cabin size doesn't really restrict of weight and more particular about size? From my theory(which might be wrong) a Rimowa Topas would be good?

Salsa seems to be made in very thin plastic like material, will it be good for check in that is going to be abused by the airport crew throwing left right centre?

4. ville_e

ville_e Well-Known Member

Get a Rimowa Salsa in black with 4 wheels. Rimowa is better and to my knowledge is the most lightweight suitcase around.

5. lacellrein

lacellrein Member

i have a rimowa cabin trolley. it's my fav piece of luggage. i pack very light though and i can travel with only that for less than 1 week trips. i also have a briggs and riley set in olive for longer trips. i went with briggs though because they have something other than black.

6. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

I would go with Rimowa polycarb case. Suit hanger is useless. Just get full canvas bespoke suits using the heavier or high twist cloths, fold them in the luggage, steam them in the shower and hang them overnight when you get to your destination.

7. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

steam them in the shower

Are you trying to make JefferyD cry?

8. Lusitano

What i really dislike about the Rimowa, is the fact there are no exterior pockets, to quickly store something like a magazin or a small purchase typically made at airports.

Beside that is a wonderful piece of luggage

9. dropout5

dropout5 Well-Known Member

i don't have any experience with rimowa, but i have the tumi alpha continental roller and love it. also have the alpha tri-fold garment bag and the traditional alpha garment bag, all of which i carry on and love.

10. Francisco

What i really dislike about the Rimowa, is the fact there are no exterior pockets, to quickly store something like a magazin or a small purchase typically made at airports.

Beside that is a wonderful piece of luggage

For a hard case luggage i guess this is something have to live without..

11. Lusitano

If you want a hardcase, wasn't that clear in your first post, then it' s an easy decision, rimowa by far!

12. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Well-Known Member

I have the Rimowa Salsa De Luxe in brown and I love it. It is by far the best suitcase for long trips that I have ever had. It is incredibly light weight so I am able to pack a lot more without having to worry about going over the weight limit, that is set by airlines. My bag has been all over the world and it has stood up well to regular beating that suitcases receive during travel.

-LR

13. Francisco

Sounds like a good idea to get a Deluxe...
    I am planning to get a topas for carry on and a Deluxe which is lighter for check in..

14. Shikar

Shikar Well-Known Member

steam them in the shower.....

Are you trying to make JefferyD cry?

+1. Thats the first thing i thought of....[​IMG]

15. jhao

jhao Well-Known Member

is the topas carry-on worth the price?? i`m between that one, a rimowa salsa deluxe or a tumi vapor

16. westinghouse

westinghouse Well-Known Member

17. cretaceous_cretin

cretaceous_cretin Well-Known Member

I have a Tumi suit bag that I really like. I have a Rimowa 90412 aluminum attache. Both were fairly pricey. I would not give you a dime for another Rimowa. Their customer service sucks shit through a dirty sock. A total waste. Tried to get a crushed corner on the attache repaired at my own cost and they are incapable of fixing it so that it does not look like a POS.

Don't waste your money. Go with Tumi.

18. wahnamhong

wahnamhong Member

Never been too much of a fan of Tumi. Too businesslike I guess. I have Samsonite Cosmolite, but will probably go for Rimowa next time. It always amazes me how the Rimowa's always stay looking so damn new. My Samsonite however is starting to show its age after two years of extensive travelling. Its design is flawless however.

19. Edgein

Edgein Well-Known Member

Anyone looked at the Tumi Arrive De Gaulle?

20. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

I have a Tumi Alpha. I love it. It has many compartments but missing your suit hangers. I just fold my jackets though and I haven't really had a problem with wrinkles. For carry on I am a fan of Filson.