1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

tucking in dress shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pauliodotnet, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Coho

Coho Well-Known Member

Besides a properly fitted shirt, I'll also suggest thinner undergarment, such as :

[​IMG]

I'm a professional and this has helped maintained the trim appearance around the waste immensely.

I tried that trick before; I don't think it's workable unless you have a shirt with a substantial amount of excess fabric. Ideally, your shirts won't have that excess in the first place.

I wonder how much of this tucking-in problem stems from people's expectations of how a shirt should look. These magazine and catalogue photos really warp notions of what makes a proper fit. Do you expect your shirt to be complete flush to your body in front? I tuck in my shirt so that the excess fabric is more or less equally distributed, with slightly more in back.

2. pauliodotnet

pauliodotnet Well-Known Member

it is always slighty more so in the back for me at least, walking and such always pulls the shirt out some, i did not know if there was just something I was missing.

what are these dart things?

3. Always Suited

Always Suited Well-Known Member

Do any of you bespoke shirt customers get the "under the crotch button"?
    When I lived at home and my Father purchased/chose my clothes. I always wore ones that buttoned between my legs. This kept your shirt from pulling out or bunching. I stopped wearing them when I moved out. Do they still make such a shirt?

4. cheessus

cheessus Well-Known Member

i tuck mine into my boxers. it doesnt prevent billowing, but it definitely mitigates it a lot.

5. Asch

Asch Well-Known Member

Mafoofan's words are wise.

6. needshoehelp

needshoehelp Well-Known Member

Wait--dress shirts are supposed to be tucked in? Now you tell me.[​IMG]

7. mmhollis

mmhollis Well-Known Member

So can a competent tailor make a shirt 'fitted" or slim fit?

8. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of this tucking-in problem stems from people's expectations of how a shirt should look. These magazine and catalogue photos really warp notions of what makes a proper fit. Do you expect your shirt to be completely flush to your body in front? I tuck in my shirt so that the excess fabric is more or less equally distributed, with slightly more in back.

+1, I experimented with MTM in search of the perfect fit like a magazine, and realized after a many shirts, I "over-shot" the perfect fit and ended up getting a shirt that looked great when I stood upright in front of the mirror, but was actually quite restrictive when I had to move around.

If you can prevent any big bags underneath your arms from the shoulders being too big, and can get the shirt trim enough so it isn't balooning out the back, you're already ahead of 90% of other people walking around.

The shirts you see in magazines look great if you're just standing there in front of the camera, not so great if you're actually trying to move around and do everyday stuff wearing that shirt.

9. pauliodotnet

pauliodotnet Well-Known Member

So can a competent tailor make a shirt 'fitted" or slim fit?

Absolutely, I tailor all my dress shirts and ask for slim fitted, she does a phenomenal job.

10. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

The shirts you see in magazines look great if you're just standing there in front of the camera, not so great if you're actually trying to move around and do everyday stuff wearing that shirt.

I'd go even further and say that the people with skin-tight shirts in magazines look awful once you realize how shirt are supposed to fit. Some looseness, without bunching, allows the fabric to drape really nicely.

11. borderline

borderline Well-Known Member

Sometimes having a little more fabric is useful, depending on whether you are just sitting at a computer all day and not moving your arms, or if you have to be more active.

I teach, so I'm in a tough spot with respect to shirts. If they are too tight, too short, etc. then when I raise my arm to write on a chalk board, the shirt can pull out too much. If there is too much fabric, then when I turn my back to the class they will see all this excess material.

So like someone was just saying, having a bit of extra material to allow you to move is OK. The guy in the first picture cannot raise his arms and maintain that fit. Plus the shirt looks painted on.

Don't forget that you can adjust your "tuck" periodically during the day as it will adjust regardless of how the shirt fits. I still think a slightly loose shirt tucked in looks better than these longer shirts worn untucked.

12. Saltwater Wrangler

Saltwater Wrangler Well-Known Member

BB non-iron slim fit OCBD dress shirts help me with the fit issue for work. However, I'm confused because in their casual line, the slim fit shirts are too tight on me. I'm guessing they have different dimensions for work and play. Anyone else encounter this?

13. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Well-Known Member

Well, actually I'm not a fan of tight-o-matic shirts either, but I think that this belongs to the many questions where it depends on everyones personal taste if it's supposed to be as fitted as possible or rather shaped.

14. symond steve

symond steve New Member

HEllo,
    I dont agree with you Tight shirt is good looking for man not loss i have alot Tight shirt body fitting man looking amazing Trust me

15. HomerJ

HomerJ Well-Known Member

Socks up, shirts down. [​IMG]

16. zub789

zub789 Active Member

^^ How many people use shirt stays??? they dont look compfortable at all, but if they work well....

17. dboll

dboll Well-Known Member

I used to use shirt stays with my USAF uniform on certain occasions for that extra sharp look. They become very uncomfortable after several hours of wear, but not unbearable. I have not worn them since discharging, nor do I plan to.

18. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Well-Known Member

I used to use shirt stays with my USAF uniform on certain occasions for that extra sharp look. They become very uncomfortable after several hours of wear, but not unbearable. I have not worn them since discharging, nor do I plan to.

What did you do with those shirt stays to cause discharging? And why have you not used them since; can they not be washed?

19. dboll

dboll Well-Known Member

What did you do with those shirt stays to cause discharging? And why have you not used them since; can they not be washed?

[​IMG]

20. TCN

TCN Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of this tucking-in problem stems from people's expectations of how a shirt should look. These magazine and catalogue photos really warp notions of what makes a proper fit. Do you expect your shirt to be completely flush to your body in front? I tuck in my shirt so that the excess fabric is more or less equally distributed, with slightly more in back.

+1