1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

True Grit is Pretty Awesome

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Dec 15, 2010.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

Maybe because I was comparing it to the original I disagree only because Glen Campbell was SO MUCH WORSE. Perhaps the worst acting performance ever captured on film in the original. Damon played the part at a much higher level in the remake. On the flipside, he didn't sing the theme song...so there is that.

well, yeah i didnt see the first film so i cant compare, but knowing the part from what i have seen, it probably would have made more sense to have josh brolin play the damon part, and matt damon as the bad guy. would have been a little more surprising i would think. it would be more coen-like. i dunno

2. Jekyll

Jekyll Well-Known Member

Personally, I thought Damon was great.

3. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

I really liked Matt Damon. He was brash enough but tough enough. While I do agree with your hidden assessment above, sho'nuff, it was only a sliver of the movie and so wasn't enough to bring my evaluation of the rest of the film down. If most things are really to my liking, I can be forgiving of a slip here and there like that.

4. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Well-Known Member

well, yeah i didnt see the first film so i cant compare, but knowing the part from what i have seen, it probably would have made more sense to have josh brolin play the damon part, and matt damon as the bad guy. would have been a little more surprising i would think. it would be more coen-like. i dunno

I don't know. The character is actually supposed to be a bit dandyish and not particularly adept. They make fun of him a bit for being a self-absorbed Texan. I think if you were looking for a tough-guy, Brolin might have made more sense, but that isn't the character.

5. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Well-Known Member

Personally, I thought Damon was great.

+1

I really liked Matt Damon. He was brash enough but tough enough. While I do agree with your hidden assessment above, sho'nuff, it was only a sliver of the movie and so wasn't enough to bring my evaluation of the rest of the film down. If most things are really to my liking, I can be forgiving of a slip here and there like that.

+1

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

I don't know. The character is actually supposed to be a bit dandyish and not particularly adept. They make fun of him a bit for being a self-absorbed Texan. I think if you were looking for a tough-guy, Brolin might have made more sense, but that isn't the character.

ok now i see. thanks. i guess that's what i get for not knowing the original book story.
    now it makes sense.

all during the movie it was making me confused how he stood out as the odd guy not fitting in the western.

also i was expecting steve buscemi to pop out somewhere in a cameo anytime

7. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

also i was expecting steve buscemi to pop out somewhere in a cameo anytime

[​IMG]

8. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

What a thoroughly ordinary movie.

9. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Well-Known Member

saw this over the new year's and i thought jeff bridges was great and definitely should be high on the candidacy for best actor academy award.

the film was entertaining but not as enjoyable for me as i guess i went into it expecting a coen brothers type film but it was just a simple western. (which is fine, and i know they were trying to be true to the book which i dont read who cares but the film was not what i expected).

spoiler
    film kind of ended on a simplistic resolve on everything, everyone just started to conveniently show up at the last moment /right time and bash someone over the head before the guy took some other guy out. nothing was surprising to me as i knew everyone would be ok. the guy had the girl under the fists and i knew she was going to be saved by ..matt damon appearing out of nowhere of course. stuff like that. [​IMG]

oh and i agree as well, and have been saying it myself as i exited the movie,
    matt damon was totally miscast in the movie.

I agree with everything you just said:

1. Bridges killed.
    2. Damon was far from impressive (and I usually like him in movies)
    3. The movie was alright, but not great. I was really expecting a little more.

10. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

However, people will believe the damndest things about snakes. I had a boss who believed in the existence of the dreaded "hoop snake." He said his pappy had actually witnessed one of these creatures in action back in Tennessee.

That is funny.

You have to wonder how nature never created a hoop snake. It seems like it would be a very useful way for a snake to get around.

11. BCPilotguy

BCPilotguy New Member

I really like True Grit. It's so nice to see Hollywood make a good, old fashioned western. It's so rare these days!

12. sman234

sman234 Member

Yeah I was surprised, I thought it would be another cheesy movie but it was actually fairly decent

13. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

I know Wayne was older when he did the character, though it's been so long that I don't remember most of the details from that version. However, I believe Bridges's Cogburn was supposed to have been closer to that age, just extremely haggard from a hard and bitter life. Recall that the very end was twenty-five years after-the-fact, and he'd just died. It's possible he could have lived into his late 80s or 90s back then, but I doubt that was what they were going for.
    No, the book says he was 68 when he died in 1903. Saw the movie last night. It was okay, but that's about all I can say. For all the acclaim Hailee Steinfeld has been getting for the acting job she did, she just didn't seem right for the role--she looked too much like what she is, a nice Jewish girl from the San Fernando Valley, with full, sensual lips. What was needed was a prim, grim, thin-lipped Scotch-Irish type, and she just wasn't that. The actress they had playing the adult Mattie at the end looked better for the part. The part about La Boeuf getting roped, dragged and shot was not in the book, and it made little sense in the movie: After getting badly roughed up and receiving a through and through bullet wound in the upper body, he seems amazing spry within a day or two! In the novel, La Boeuf was with Mattie and Rooster in the cabin and then collaborated with Rooster in the ambush. He received a minor flesh wound from splinters when a bullet struck the stock of his carbine.

14. stillerfan07

stillerfan07 Well-Known Member

Yes, the cinematography was fantastic.

Cinematography was great, and the scenery where they filmed was just fantastic.

15. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

I watched both versions within the last couple of weeks...

Would give the John Wayne version a slight nod, even though I think Clint used John Wayne to clean his gun.

Primarily because of the ending.

16. FozzyBadfeet

FozzyBadfeet Member

I still need to watch this movie.

17. ratratan

ratratan Active Member

cowboy/western films are so boring.

18. 3cyr3

3cyr3 Well-Known Member

Thought the movie was hilarious, was laughing most of the way through. Definitely one of the bettter movies i've seen recently.

19. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

cowboy/western films are so boring.

I love the feelings of westerns. The scene where Rooster met the indian who had a rifle across his lap after the corps was cut down from the tree epitomized the feeling for me. The indian never showed any aggression, but Rooster still had to flash his pistol, just in case. That type of cloak and dagger environment is what I love about westerns.

20. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Resurrection . . .

I watched it last night and thought it was a fantastic movie. I need to watch it again because I know I missed many great lines, as well as watch (maybe) the original.

I thought Brolin's character and his acting was the best.

The CGI rattlesnakes were pretty lame.