1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Trouser alteration

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Nick M, May 30, 2003.

1. Nick M

Nick M Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, I have a very nice pair of trousers here (part of a suit), but I've found the trouser cuffs to be just a shade too narrow, necessitating adjustments every so often. I've gotten used to dressing in quite a laid-back manner, and so these little adjustments are starting to bug me. So here's the plan (done by a professional, of course)... At the inside leg, near the trouser cuff, I have the side seam cut up a few inches (4-5?), creating a triangular gap. I've got some matching fabric, which will be cut into a triangular 'wedge', a few inches long and maybe 1-2 inches or so at the base. Insert into new gap, voila. Wider lower leg. Or not? Think it'll work? Any other method you can think of?

2. ken

ken Well-Known Member

funny... I used to do this back in my grade-school-rebel days to make by huge-legged jncos even huger. Back then kids used to do it with contrasting patterns and colors. Never thought there might be a practical use.
    Aside from necessitating perfectly matched fabrics and seamless seams, I think you'd have to measure the exact amount the legs taper and then do some simple math to figure the dimensions of the triangular 'wedge'--shouldn't be too hard.

3. davei

davei Well-Known Member

It'll work, but I don't know if you'll get the desired look though. Adding material like that will throw the line off and you'll end up with something flared or bell-bottom-ish. I have some jeans similar to what you describe (originally sewn that way) but the "addition" is from the crotch down, which gives a huge, loose leg look.

Ideally, the back inseam seam allowance on each of the pant legs should be slightly larger than the front, so you can possibly get away with letting out .25 to .5 of an inch, depending on the allowances left by the original tailor/manufacturer. This is a fairly common alteration, usually done around the crotch area, but it can be done near the cuffs as well.

4. Nick M

Nick M Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys, that's pretty much what I thought. I'll probably give the whole thing a miss. The trousers themselves are 'correct' - the hems brush the shoe heel, slight break, cover about 2/3 of the shoe - but I guess I've just gotten so used to boot-cut and flared everything that they feel a little weird. I do have a pair of straight-cut black velvet jeans (well, I like them [​IMG]), and I think, Ken, that I'll follow your lead and widen them with a contrasting fabric. I have some purple fine-wale corduroy that might do the trick...