1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tricker's Stow vs. Crockett & Jones Islay

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by theundeadkennedy, Dec 9, 2012.

1. theundeadkennedy

theundeadkennedy Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm interested in these two boots but am unsure of which one to get. I was looking into the Islay in dark brown scotch grain and the Stow in espresso. I've never owned a boot from either brand, usually I wear Alden's but I'm liking the Dainite soles on these two.
    Quality wise, does anyone have an opinion on which boots construction is more sturdy?
    Comfort wise, does anyone have an opinion on which boot may be the best for all day wear?
    I have Aldens in brown chromexel, natural chromexel, and Kudu, does anyone have an opinion on which boot would better fill in the gap between those shades of leather or which boot would be an all around more versatile color to add to my wardrobe?
    How do Dainite soles do in rainy, snowy or icy conditions? I live in Alaska and don't often get to wear my leather soled boots.
    Thanks for any help!
    -J

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  2. theundeadkennedy

3. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Well-Known Member

If you're after sturdy, then Tricker's Malton model might be a better bet (the boot on the right below is an older version, alongside the Islay):

[​IMG]

The Islay will be more comfortable out of the box than any pair of Tricker's but the Tricker's will, as a rule, feel more rugged and look less dressy. If you go for the Stow, have a look at the different colours available.

If you go for the Tricker's, then Richard Smith (The Shoe Healer) is known to many on here and will be able to talk you through the sole options (and he's one of the few cobblers I know who routinely has Ridgeway soles in stock).

4. theundeadkennedy

Thank you for the input! I'll try to make contact with Richard Smith soon so he can walk me through the sole options. Long term would you say the Islay remains more comfortable?
    Also, I forgot to ask about sizing. Does someone know my sizes in these boots if I wear a 9.5 U.S. in the Barrie and trubalance last in Alden?
    Thanks again!

-J

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  5. changyaqiao

changyaqiao Well-Known Member

do you still want it?
    I want to sell one.
    Please contact with me if you like it.

6. jjrider

jjrider New Member

Hi, are you still selling the crocket and jones islay boot? What size would this be?
    Thanks,
    Jonathan