1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tricker's MTO - Forum group buy

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by rkusmant, May 4, 2011.

1. DomD

DomD Active Member

I'd be happy with a 4444 last. Thanks for the image Ducky, really helpful!!

It's on a commando, I struggle with distinguishing welts too, one of the Q's I gave asked is how practical it is to burnish an acorn boot so it is like a 1001 - will update as soon as I hear back.

When initially speaking to Richard he did mention a '1001' be interested to know what everyone who is on board thinks?

Think price is likely to be £390.00 (approx) as long as it is a Bulk MTO.

Cheers

2. DomD

DomD Active Member

Some interim info courtesy of Richard @ The Shoehealer :

The Eaton based model can go on either 4497s or 4444 Last.

It is most likely that the Junya model is on 4497s, but would need one at hand, and checked the Insole. So maybe a forum member can confirm?

For Bulk MTO we all need be on same Last, and in same Width Fitting.

Richard advises " I find, that most are suited to dropping just half a size from US to UK Sizes in 4497s."
    &
    "The 4444 being generous by Half a Size, necessitates for most, a Full Size drop from US to UK sizes. "

He wouldn’t be confident of Burnishing Acorn to match 1001 Burnished.

Richard need's confirmed interest, and a 100 GBP deposit from each person on confirmation of order.

When the final spec is decided, and written in the correct format, all participants would be sent a copy of the spec with their size, at which time the deposit is required.

Depending on how we go in terms of definite/confirmed interest we are looking at perhaps January delivery, subject to no delays at the factory.

Hope this helps.....I'll update the spec format later on here.

Best
    Dom

3. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the Junyas are 4497.
    Style number on the box is M7527.
    Also, Junyas are sized oddly. They're marked 1/2 size larger than they are.
    So a Junya Tricker's marked 10UK is actually a 9.5UK.

4. heterophilous

heterophilous Well-Known Member

is that £390.00 inclusive of VAT?

and approximately £312.00 exclusive of VAT?

5. heterophilous

I'm wondering whether Tricker's advice about sizing down a half from your "normal" UK size is more useful than following international conversions.

I'm a US 11D when it comes to practically all US shoes, and am a UK 10E when it comes to C&J, AS, Church's, and Loake.

But the Tricker's 4444 last in UK10 is too roomy and large for my foot.

Am still cool with the 4444 option, though. I just want to double-check with Richard and see if he thinks a UK 9.5 will work for me. I've seen comments from others that suggest it will.

As for the 1001 burnished versus Acorn Antique debate, I'm still leaning toward the Acorn Antique. I love the orange pop that it's got.

It may be a standard color when it comes to Tricker's, but it's a really unique one when compared to other brands.

The 1001 burnished, by comparison, looks a bit dull to me, and seems more suitable for a dressy oxford shoe with a varnished welt. When you pair it with a black sole and a natural welt, however, it looks kinda blah:

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/02/08/trickers-austerity-stow-lsw-lsbh/

6. DomD

DomD Active Member

I think it is inclusive of VAT but I'm not 100% so would want Richard @ the Shoe Healer to confirm - again maybe someone from the forum/outside of the UK who has participated in a bulk MTO could advise as well?

I'm sure Richard will give best advice individually on any specific sizing queries dependent on last etc.

7. DomD

DomD Active Member

Thought it was worth a re-cap to get definite's & also for others to get on-board too if there is interest:

So Current idea is:

MTO Junya Superboots/Eaton model - no medallion on toe

4444 last (5 fitting)
    Colour: Acorn Antique
    Lining: Vintage Green Calf Lining
    Sole: Commando sole
    Welt - either natural or dark TBC
    Pull Tabs: Orange
    Eyelets: Brass eyelets

Cheers
    Dom

8. heterophilous

i'm in favor of an unvarnished "natural" welt . . .

it's what tricker's does better than anyone else, and it makes for a nice contrast between the orange uppers and a darkish sole.

here are two comparison photos for people to consider.

acorn on a "varnished" welt:

[​IMG]

and acorn on a "natural" welt:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. DomD

DomD Active Member

Looks nice on the Natural Welt!!

10. rainbowgrease

rainbowgrease Well-Known Member

Natural welt all the way.
    Any other suggestion for the lining?

11. heterophilous

sounds great fellas! will put up our preliminary MTO specs on the official thread later tonight.

12. heterophilous

oh yikes. i forgot to confirm one last point with you, DomD?

before i put something up on the other thread, i need to know what the final pricing on the boots are.

was the £390.00 quote from Richard inclusive of VAT or exclusive?

13. DomD

DomD Active Member

Richard is away for a few days so I will have to confirm next week on the VAT issue, unless there is something on this on a previous reply to this thread ?

Cheers

14. heterophilous

okay, let's wait until he gets back in order to confirm. i did a bit of searching on this thread, but nothing recent enough to make an inference on calfskin MTOs. . .

15. heterophilous

also, found this photo of a perforated captoe boot on the 4444 last . . . looks very nice:

[​IMG]

16. DomD

DomD Active Member

They look sweet!!!

So regarding confirmation of current Bulk MTO pricing here:

Bulk MTO are priced at stock price of £390.00 GBP within the EU, or for outside of the EU a 20% (VAT) reduction is applied, which makes them £325.00 GBP.

Cheers

Dom

17. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

BTW, for USAns ordering from Shoe Healer, be sure to ask him to ship via Royal Mail/Parcel Force.
    It'll take a couple days longer but you almost eliminate risk of having to pay duty (about 8.5%) plus any DHL/Fedex/UPS brokerage fees ($12-30).

1 person likes this.
  18. heterophilous

that's great. i'm in. it's a good deal when considering what models like these typically retail for stateside or abroad . . .

and thanks for words of wisdom, zippyh too . . . yes, it would be wise to use royalmail / parcelforce as ups / fedex brokerage fees can be absolutely ridonculous . . .

will put something up on the other forum later tonight . ..

1 person likes this.
  19. DomD

DomD Active Member

Cool - great price really for something special. Be good for others to confirm interest now price is confirmed. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

20. rainbowgrease

rainbowgrease Well-Known Member

Seriously I am in, but does everyone really like "Vintage Green Calf Lining" - maybe switch to red or orange just like the pull tabs.*