1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tricker 1829 Collection

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hasa, Nov 9, 2004.

1. hasa

hasa New Member

I recently discovered this site and after lurking for awhile,I've decided to make my first posting. (Great site,by the way.). I have been lookin for a classic wing-tip,but most of the lasts used are not very elegant. Does the box-toe on the 1829 line work OK with the classic styling of a wing-tip? Can they be dressed up and down? Any info. on this line will also be appreciated.TIA.

2. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

Are you talking about this model? [​IMG] I think that the toe looks very sophisticated -- not exactly bespoke, but very attractive. It works well with the wingtip pattern. I have no personal experience with Tricker's shoes, but I've been very impressed with the pictures that I've seen -- channelled soles, high-quality leathers, etc., and the prices are right. Others on this forum and the Ask Andy forum have had a lot of nice things to say about the quality of construction.

3. Kaga

Kaga Well-Known Member

Trickers' quality is superb. Better than benchgrade C&J and approaching that of C&J handgrade. An excellent value for money. The last shapes are not quite as elegant as C&J's though, but they are undoubtedly classic shapes for classic shoes.

4. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

(hasa @ 09 Nov. 2004, 10:35) I recently discovered this site and after lurking for awhile,I've decided to make my first posting. (Great site,by the way.). I have been lookin for a classic wing-tip,but most of the lasts used are not very elegant. Does the box-toe on the 1829 line work OK with the classic styling of a wing-tip? Can they be dressed up and down? Any info. on this line will also be appreciated.TIA.
    Trickers' quality is superb. Better than benchgrade C&J and approaching that of C&J handgrade. An excellent value for money. The last shapes are not quite as elegant as C&J's though, but they are undoubtedly classic shapes for classic shoes.
    I was on Jermyn St. not too long ago -- admiring Trickers. Sorry I can't offer anything concrete as I didn't buy -- but I should have. This in addition to the split-toe Norweg. cordovan Alden blucher, will be my next shoe purchase. I really like the tough as lead look of the Tricker country line. I am a little reluctant to attempt a pair from pediwear as I want to insure best fit.

5. schimanski

schimanski New Member

I own a pair of Trickers loafers; they are nice but not as nice as churchs

6. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Well-Known Member

I've had Trickers shoes both direct from England and years ago when they were Dunhill's house brand, in both penny loafers and captoes. They're durable and well-made. With the skyrocketing costs for C&J, they're an attractive alternative (but there are few selections in the wider fittings except for the plain captoe).

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Horace, I have respected your literacy and high level of erudition. Anyone who can cite Werner Jaeger's Paideia in a clothing forum has got to be a man I respect. (I have the set, read it 40-odd years ago, don't remember much, if anything, from it.) However, I am at a loss to understand what you mean by "tough as lead." Lead is one of the most soft and malleable elemental metals around. Unalloyed, it is easily gouged with a thumbnail. (I used to do a lot of bullet casting until I felt it might be affecting my health adversely, so I do know my way around lead.)

8. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

JLibourel- You're almost there, given the bullet casting comment.... Think of bullets made from lead. Then "tough as lead" would mean "bulletproof". As least, that's how I read it.

9. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

However, "tough as lead" is not very common. I only got one quasi-legitimate hit on google..... and amazon's inside the book search turned up "tough as a lead pipe", with everything else seemingly garbage.

So there you guys go. I'm not touching this issue again...

10. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

(JLibourel @ 20 Nov. 2004, 9:09) However, I am at a loss to understand what you mean by "tough as lead." Lead is one of the most soft and malleable elemental metals around. Unalloyed, it is easily gouged with a thumbnail. (I used to do a lot of bullet casting until I felt it might be affecting my health adversely, so I do know my way around lead.)
    JL and NVG: I don't know what I was thinking -- lead is malleable (and I am trying to recall where it is on the periodical chart) -- I have no idea why I wrote that. Maybe I was thinking "tough as a bullet" -- and I cannot recall the figure of speech where you take one quality of something and extract from it the meaning for the whole -- it's not metonmy, I don't think. Maybe I picked up the phrase from that much neglected genre of American fiction -- the noir crime novels of Chandler, Hammett, etc. Let me get back to you on this.

11. AJL

AJL Well-Known Member

heavy as lead.

tough as nails...?