1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Trendy shirts with classic cut suits.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, Jan 6, 2005.

1. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Well-Known Member

I recently bought Hugo Boss casual shirt. I know Hugo Boss is not welcomed brand here, but at least the shirt is made in Italy. [​IMG] It is very slim fitted. White base with silverish metal pin-stripes. The metal fibers are woven with cotton. I find this cool so I bought it. I tried it on with bunch of my suits I have, and suprisingly it goes so well. This gave me an idea where I should start wear suits with more trendy shirts without a tie. I know this type of dressing may not be suitable for work, but when going out this will work very nicely IMO.

2. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

I think this is the way to go if you want to maximize wardrobe potential per dollar. Have some classic suits as wardrobe pillars then add shirts, ties and pocket squares to take them in the direction you want to go. The suit also serves as an anchor to more outre pieces. Now about that Hugo Boss... [​IMG]

3. modsquad

modsquad Well-Known Member

Yes indeed to both the above posts. This works especially well with solid colored single breasted suits with a fashion forward cut: the Gucci - Helmut Lang - Jil Sander family.

4. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Well-Known Member

Milano, where did you find the Hugo Boss shirt? Was it regular black label? Is it short enough to wear untucked?

I don't mind Boss shirts -- usually overpriced for what you get, but for a slim fitted casual shirt, they are pretty good.

I agree with Alan about the suits -- I get the most wear out of my solid colored suits, which are easy to pair with multiple combos of patterned shirts and ties.

5. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Well-Known Member

Yeah Johnny,

If I am wearing this shirt with jeans, I am planning to tuck it out. This was their summer collection and it was 50% off. It is black label line.

6. SmartDresser

SmartDresser Well-Known Member

Ditto on this remark. IMO, true style comes out of your imagination, like mixing wardrobe pieces. Love what I see some young guys are doing now, patterned French cuff shirts, untucked, with jeans and boots.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Uh oh  [​IMG] Sounds awfully like the American jackass look.  Tell me, do most of these guys work in the financial sector or in a law firm, have short back and sides haircuts, and look like they belonged to a fraternity at one point?

8. bry2000

bry2000 Well-Known Member

think it is a modified American JA look. I view the A JA look as bold striped untucked shirt, jeans, square toes plastic, rubber sole shoes, overjelled, pushed forward buzzed cut hair.

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

I will sometimes do etro broad bengal striped shirts under pinstriped suits, I think it looks pretty nice.

10. leroy

leroy Active Member

Even a over-worn navy suit can be brought back to life with a different style anytime with interesting patterned dress shirts. Fantastic coordination can be further enhanced through the right combination against patterned ties. It is really an art...

11. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

Or perhaps not. Remember Italian laws allow clothing to be labeled as Italian made even if only the buttons were sown in Italy.

I like Boss. I do agree it is overpriced but it looks good.