1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Trench Coat options

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TauKappaEpsilon, May 9, 2012.

1. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

I think it looks good on you, but as with others I prefer a longer coat.

2. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Well-Known Member

Typically trenches are worn in the rain only. My question was, can I wear this as a regular jacket when it isn't raining, or will it look out of place? (I know you all think it already looks out of place but understand I want it cropped.)

3. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

I guarentee that in two-three years, you will regret getting a cropped one. Absolutely. Cropped or not, a trench coat can be worn as what you seem to define "outerwear."

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  4. Bradford

Honestly, I think its going to look weird to wear a raincoat when its not raining.

Seems to me that if you just want a coat that is this length you should consider getting a Belstaff or a Barbour.

5. dredwings19

dredwings19 Well-Known Member

Looks much better!.. However I don't really like that colour of trench coat at all. I prefer navy

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

much better

7. TauKappaEpsilon

I'm glad you approve now. What I didn't tell you is that I haven't had the jacket touched yet this was just a much better angle. That first picture was taken from an angle that the camera was looking up at me.

When I wear this over my BB tweed SC its snug. I can not fit my fist in between the coat and the SC. When I'm wearing this coat with just a tshirt underneath, I have maybe 2 inches of room and when its not belted, it has a great shape, however, I'm not sure if I like the way it looks not belted. I agree with many of you that when it isnt belted it looks slightly feminine:
    [​IMG]

On a final note, regarding the "correct" length of trenches, I went to the Burberry store in Short Hills, NJ today and every single mens trench they had was "cropped". They didn't have one full length trench in the entire mens section of the store. I understand you all seem to like the classic long trench however, I think Burberry is trying to move away from that and "modernize" their trench for the first time in over one-hundred years. I also think that by buying a cropped trench it allows the wearer to wear it more frequently then a traditional below-the-knee length. Maybe I'm a little ignorant (possibly due to my age) but I dont think there is anything wrong with a shorter trench, I just think its a different style and fashion is always changing. What do you all think?

8. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

hmmm, I went with a "cropped" one, but it's more like just above the knee rather thank below, not like yours which is about mid-thigh, ie rather short. also it's ok for a trench to be big in the waist and long in the sleeve... it's meant to be that way if I'm not mistaken

also, that color might not be the best for your complexion

lastly, I dunno why but I just think that coat's kinda ugly

9. penguinchris

penguinchris New Member

I feel like something's funny with the buttons on that. As others have been saying, I'm not sure it's the right coat for you. However, I didn't log in to comment about that, and that's a matter of taste anyway.

I came to comment specifically regarding the length (which is also a matter of taste, but...) You have to be careful asking these kinds of questions in this section of the forum because the most vocal members are very traditionalist. Nothing wrong with that certainly, but it doesn't look right on every guy, especially not young, thin guys.

I'm 25. I bought a cropped trench coat too, half a year or so ago. It's by Ben Sherman and was $100 at Nordstrom Rack. Fit me near-perfectly right off the rack (Ben Sherman is typically a rather slim fit). Quality is not Burberry-level obviously, but it's not bad for something I'm honestly not going to wear very often. I bought it because I liked it and I liked how it looked, but also because I needed appropriately "dressy" outerwear for NYC in Fall and I lived in SoCal at the time and hardly had any outerwear at all (as an aside... you can find great deals on outerwear at Nordstrom Rack and similar stores in SoCal since nobody there ever needs outerwear).

I tried more traditional-length coats, and I even tried (more recently) a full-length Burberry coat. I also am a major thrifter and have tried on a lot of vintage trench coats and other traditional-style coats over the years (more out of curiosity than need, to see how they look).

IMO full-length coats don't necessarily look silly, even on someone young, but they look very traditional and old-man-ish. And it's different for every frame, but on me they make me look heavier (which is a problem with many standard cuts for me - weird shape - 43/44 short). They're certainly not stylish. You can argue that Humphrey Bogart's Burberry coat in Casablanca looks awesome and stylish, and it does, but... that's Bogart. Most guys can't pull it off. It feels weird to me to say that about such a classic, traditional item, but in this day and age that's true of most traditional classic items of clothing.

Maybe everyone who has piped in saying full-length is the way to go has a full-length trench coat that looks great on them. I don't know. But I do know that every person I've ever seen wearing a full-length trench coat or similar in person (in several different cities where I've lived or spent a lot of time) looked mediocre at best, and very conservative (in a bad way).

Finally, in order for a jacket like this to truly look like a women's jacket, it would have to be cut exceedingly short, like a short sport coat (if not shorter). Saying this looks feminine is crazy. Which is not to say that these particular proportions are right for you - and that's hard to judge without a full-length shot - but it's certainly not overly feminine. I think mine is actually a little shorter and it definitely doesn't make me look like a woman (though as I've alluded to I have a very different frame to work with).

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  10. TauKappaEpsilon

Thanks for the response. Could you post a picture of yours? I've seen many cropped trenches that look great (I'll some more pictures of others).
    Thank you for this reply. I agree with a lot of what you are saying. What is important to keep in mind is that when I bought this coat I purposely bought a cropped coat because its more versatile, meaning, I could wear this almost like I wear my pea coat and I could wear it when its raining. I think the traditional full length trench coats look out of place when they are worn in dry weather.

Here are some pictures of other cropped trench coats that I think look great. What do you all think is the difference between these coats and mine (they are all the same length as mine)?:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. yeungjai

yeungjai Well-Known Member

I don't think that you'll find much love for the guy you quoted above on SF. Despite his face being blurred, everyone recognizes him and his blog. That being said, at 20 years old, a cropped trench would probably look better on you (according to people your age) than a full-length trench down past your knees.

12. Needsmoreshoes

Needsmoreshoes Well-Known Member

I'd say the main difference between the coats in those pics and yours is that yours isn't being worn by a self-satisfied sycophantic douchebag...

That aside though I do prefer the cropped fit - some people here are dismissing it as feminine but the silhouette of a well fitting trench coat is, in my opinion, as masculine as you can get in a coat and as such the length is really down to how you wish to wear it and what you feel is appropriate for your build. At 6ft 3" and 64kg a full-length trench swallows me so I prefer to go for a mid-thigh crop.

13. Bradford

I don't think these guys would look nearly as tough in cropped-length coats...

[​IMG]

14. TauKappaEpsilon

Thanks for this? Why is this turning into a discussion of "manliness"? I don't need a longer trench coat to feel more masculine, in fact, I'm quite happy with my cropped coat. I suppose some of you who think they are to feminine for your liking arent as comfortable with your masculinity? Either way, I intended this thread to be about peoples opinions of trench coats, maybe you could all post pictures of your coats as well. I respect everyones opinions as to whether or not a cropped v. a long trench is masculine or feminine but I think the above post is taking it a bit to far.

15. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

thing looks like a dress chief...and for gods sake, clean your bloody room

1 person likes this.
  16. Bradford

Dude, have you looked at my avatar picture? I'm wearing heels from a fundraiser I did. Do you really think that I am uncomfortable with my masculinity?

You asked for opinions so don't get mad when they don't come back the way you want,

I personally like a longer coat and was simply trying to find a fun way to respond to the poster who was saying that long trench coats are "old-manish" by sharing one of my favorite image of guys wearing that type of coat.

And I will reiterate the suggestion I gave earlier that you buy a Barbour International or a Belstaff Trialmaster if you want a jacket of this length but don't want people wondering why you are wearing a raincoat on a clear day...

[​IMG]

But do whatever you want. No one has to wear the coat but you.

17. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Well-Known Member

This thread is ridiculous. The trench looks good on you. Longer would me more traditional but if you like it cropped, go for it.

18. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Well-Known Member

If you're wearing a suit or sport coat, I think a short trench will look more appropriate than a Barbour or Belstaff moto jacket, whether it's raining or not.

19. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

This.

The fundamental problem with a trench coat that short is not that it makes you look like a chick. It is that it looks -- and is -- stupid if you wear it with a suit. If you want to wear it "by itself" i.e. as a sort of jacket, then there are much better things to wear.

20. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

What's wrong with him?