1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Travel to Japan - reco

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Mesta, Jan 18, 2013.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

Try the B Akasaka. Nice for a business hotel and not much coin. I like the lunch set with tempura at Kazahana, the Japanese restaurant inside the Conrad. There's also a good bar on one of the top floors of this nearby building to the Conrad. Japanese style floor seating with a pit for the legs, and you nudge up to an insane live-edge Bubinga slice of a counter. Bartender is there usually chipping away at ice, making ice balls.

2. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Well-Known Member

Hotel will be tough with golden week... Good luck!

3. ehkay

ehkay Well-Known Member

Oh, no.. Trip isn't until summer, the other posts just made me remember to ask

4. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

Wow Mcdonald's here actually taste like fresh good Mcdonalds!

So I'm really close to shinjuku station.

Any good specialty cocktail boozing places around here?

5. ChicagoRon

Check out the Golden Gai - not sure if there is specialty booze, but if you want to drink some beers, it is a great place. I'm SURE that with 300+ bars in 2 blocks, there IS a good cocktail place, just not sure which one and if outsiders are welcome.

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

Golden Gai bars aren't gonna have the kind of bottle selection or the kind of staff to make a mixologist-type drink, but they are fun to drink at. I have a friend who owns a few places in the Golden Gai and his are mostly staffed by cute girls and are meant to be quirky.

There are bars all over Shinjuku though, so finding a drink isn't a problem. Real cocktail bars with the skills are concentrated more towards Ginza, though there are serious bars smattered all over. Few are bad, but I think the guys with the magic mix skills are probably tending bar in Ginza.

7. Mesta

Mesta Well-Known Member

Hey guys!

Glad this thread is active :)

So I managed to finalize my planning in Japan.

We'll go first to Nara for three days.
    Then Kyoto for 4 days (we'll hit Chihana, the three star restaurant).
    Tokyo for 9 days (we'll try to go Mizutani)

But a break in Hakone for 2 days in the middle of Tokyo, to relax :)

Any reco in these cities?
    Hakone for food? I'm a bit worried :p

8. djblisk

I'm actually in Hakond right now. Stayed in miyanoshita, did the whole ryokan hog springs thing. Umm.. The private springs was dope but my spot was right on the river. Really creepy at night.

9. Mesta

Mesta Well-Known Member

I tried to book a ryokan but damn pretty much everything is booked lol. :(
    we actually saved up money actually going to the hyatt. Ah well... not the same but I'll take it.

So where do you eat?

10. djblisk

In miyashoita. The sushi restaurant and the tempura spot. I forgot the names but those are the only places in that small town anyway.

11. djblisk

any good Soba spots in shinjuku?

12. djblisk

I tried Blacow in Ebisu last night.

Damn good burger.

Only lowlights ( and these are spoiled lowlights ) were meat was a bit too done (i like mine medium rare) and it was smart to get all the sauces on the side.

13. ChicagoRon

I'm sure there is great soba in shinjuku. I don't know it though. I do know a great place on the 5th floor of the shin maronouchi bldg across from my fave tonkatsu place

14. Mesta

Mesta Well-Known Member

I got a reservation at Chihana in Kyoto and Sushi Saito in Tokyo!
    Leaving in twelve days !!!

15. Azores

Azores New Member

So how was the trip? I absolutely love traveling in Japan.

16. Mesta

Mesta Well-Known Member

Got back last week-end!

Wow! What a trip. Been waiting years and it went beyond all my expectations.

Nara and Kyoto filled the relax/zen traditional aspect of Japan and Tokyo blew me away with how crazy but calm at the same time it is.

Millions and millions of people and you feel safe, quiet and with the power of being who you want.
    I'd really recommend the country to anyone!

Noteworthy places I ate/drunk : chihana in kyoto, amazing! The chef even came talk to us (well tried, english isn't their forte lol). 12 courses of awesome.
    Sushisho in Tokyo. Wow, best sushi and sashimi ever. Can't ever beat this I guess....
    Bar High Five. Went twice. Dude is amazing, especially if you like scotch.

Shopping: kyoto and tokyo were great. Spent $$$$$ (I guess I'll post some fit pic in the WAYWT thread).

We had 7 typhoons, one big earthquake (7.1?) but still had an amazing time! Makes me want to learn the language and try something there in my field of work.

Still can't really express how I felt, it's still inside, boiling.

For those interested, I'm slowly uploading pictures every day on my photo tumblr: www.commedesphotos.tumblr.com
    There's a queue of pics lasting one week and a half. Right now it's at Kyoto but Nara is already up!

17. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Almost a year after leaving Japan, I am feeling a real nostalgia for being there. I really loved that country.

A question: I am trying to find out if a particular store that I went to has a website. It was in the Yanaka Nippori market, so perhaps not. If anyone knows Yanaka, when you are headed to the market from the Nippori JR station, the road forks, and to the right is the big set of steps where the cats hang out. Either just before the fork or just before the steps on the left is a market that sells all manner of leathergoods (especially bags and belts and such), as well as some ceramicware, baskets, etc. I loved that place, and, after I left, asked my GF to go back and get me the thing I wanted the most -- a beautiful belt for an astounding $100. I would love to find that store. I would point it out on Google Maps streetview, but the car had to head down the side street since the market street is pedestrian-only.

~ H

18. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Was it Herz Leather?