1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Travel to Japan - reco

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Mesta, Jan 18, 2013.

1. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Well-Known Member

If he's still going to be there Feb 11th - I can help.

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Haha, yes, she will be (and no, she's not available).

3. ChicagoRon

Well.... I do have a shred of respect. Ill pm you my contact info

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

There's plenty of places to do that, but many are the usual suspect type places in Roppongi - low quality food and drink plus oft-times, low-quality people. You meet higher-earning types down in Azabu, there's a few restaurants down there that cater to expats, theres a mexican place that is ripoff of Chipotle and there is a Texas BBQ place that I only ever see white people in. Thing about the expat community in Japan though, is that yes, there is an inordinately high number of expats who enjoy keeping to themselves, either because they're there for the Japanese tail and are wholly into that, or just generally distrust other expats (because many are there for the tail) and so -----> most expat residents are weird. Japan is a place many people want to go to for their own reasons, and they just don't have the desire to hang out with too many people from wherever it is they come from. It's a little different than say, Korea, where many are there seemingly against their will.

5. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

Thank god, I found this thread!!!

Gonna be there at the end of April.

2 nights in tokyo the 1 night in Hakone at a Royuken and the back to Tokyo for 4 nights.

Keep the food recommendations coming!

Should I just stay in Shinjuku the first 2 nights?

6. ChicagoRon

Ate lunch at Pizza Strada today... great recommendation. From there I went to the Suntory and Mori Tower art museums. Dinner for Chinese New Year (Gung Hai Fat Choi) was at Chen Kenichi's Szechwan restaurant. HIGHLY recommend that for the others heading to Tokyo, if you like Sichuan cooking. His Mapodofu was the best I've ever had. Tan Tan noodles were also fantastic. Both were eego (english) - Friendly.

Yesterday, I did not have that experience. I went to Ueno - saw the national museum and walked around the market area just off the station. This was my first experience in my life of being refused service - I asked in broken Japanese if they had an English menu and the guy pushed me out the door and said "good luck someplace else - no english here".

7. impolyt_one

wow, great that you enjoyed my recommendations and found the nearby stuff. Did Tamaki speak with you as he made pizzas, and which one did you order?

8. ChicagoRon

I ordered the tamaki - and yes, he and i had a nice conversation after I finished eating. If I knew your real name, I would have dropped it :)

9. impolyt_one

I don't think I've told him my name, actually. haha. Great story about him - he obviously has a knack for making a pizza, and he taught some guys up the street at a different pizza shop (Savoy) how to make pizza, but I asked Tamaki if he's ever been to Italy, and he says "nah" "never been" - lol. He is from Okinawa and has learned all that just in Japan, somehow. The side dishes like the marinated things and the fried appetizers are also great, did you try any of them?

10. impolyt_one

Also, I hardly ever spend time in Ueno (it's far from my place, I live a block from Pizza Strada) but have been to the modern museum that was done by Corbusier, with the Thinker out front - is that the one you went to, or did you go to the one across from it?

What is next on your Japan itinerary? It seems like a waste to go all the way to Japan to eat a hamburger, but seriously, you need to try to get back over to Ebisu and try Blacows, it is truly one of the best hamburgers in the world. Matt won't let you post the burger pics in the WAYET threak but it's worth the trip, twice over. Just nix their house sauce and relish, I dislike both and prefer a 'normal' burger there.

11. ChicagoRon

Good burger; tasty burger even </sammy l jackson> --- best in the world is a BOLD STATEMENT. I can't agree with that one.

1> Beef tasted great, but Waygu is wasted on a burger... most of the fat cooks out.
    2> Bun did not hold up. Best burger in the world MUST have a pretzel bun. Only bun that holds up to the juice and keeps a consistent bread/meat ratio throughout the meal.
    3> Too much lettuce, but that's easily fixed.

The tomato sauce was great. Fries were tasty and a good size portion (not overdone). I also had mixed greens and waygu consomme onion soup gratinee.

So - other plans...

Tomorrow night we're going to a pork shabu shabu place that someone from my Japan practice picked out. Thursday morning I will do the pilgrimage to Tsukiji market in the AM, and for dinner I'm going to try and check out this place - Han no daidokoru (I can't tell if it's more Korean or Yakiniku, but it LOOKS amazing, and it's in Shibuya near the club I'm going to see Charlie Hunter and Scott Amendola play latenight - very fortunate coincidence that they're in town).

Friday Evening I'm doing La Rochelle (one more Iron Chef, since it's basically in my hotel). Not sure on Sat. yet. Probably Soba for lunch and teppan for dinner, or more yakiniku.

12. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

I have to search all the Japan threads now, since i will be spending a week in Tokyo (Ueno, incidentally) in March. Having never left the country, this will be an "if you're going to go, go big" sort of an experience.

~ H

13. ChicagoRon

Pm me for more details on my trip if you like H

14. impolyt_one

That's saddening, I think the bun at Blacows (it's made offsite at Maison Kayser) is fantastic, possibly the best burger bun I've ever had, and the wagyu is not my first choice for a burger but it's not for the fat content - it's for the grain-fed taste. I still think it holds the title of 'best burger in the world'

15. ChicagoRon

Come to Chicago - I will deal with the lines at Kuma's for you, or take you to Lockdown.

16. Mesta

Mesta Well-Known Member

My holidays were approved by my boss, going to Japan from October 14 to November 03! Can't wait!

17. djblisk

So Japanese Horumon.

Any recs near shinjuku or shibuya?

18. dabestspoona

dabestspoona Active Member

Akachochin

1-18-10 Shinjuku, Shinjuku, Tokyo
    03 3354 7266

19. djblisk

Soba Noodles in shinjuku or shibuya?

20. ChicagoRon

http://www.kaikaya.com/

Loved this place. Owner is great, loves westerners. He's a surfer. It's very casual, but full of pics of lots of famous people that at there, which are fun to look at.