1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Trapper hat for Toronto

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by swan, Nov 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. swan

swan Well-Known Member

Hey guys i am moving to Toronto from Australia in 2 weeks to work thinking of getting this trapper hat.
    what do people think?
    Will i need one like this?
    http://www.mrporter.com/product/311151

2. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

Is that ethnic Australian? Hell Toronto is pretty open so if that's your native costume go for it.

3. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I guess the hat goes with the boots?

4. swan

swan Well-Known Member

you dont like our native clothing?
    where we live we don't need such clothing but if it was cold i reckon people would wear them

5. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

Hey if you want to wear your hat wear it. Like I said Toronto is pretty open to ethnic dress.

6. HughJ

HughJ Well-Known Member

I think you have better looking options for head wear, but that's a matter of personal preference. Toronto doesn't get that cold IMHO, but I think you may disagree based on the climate you are coming from. Thinking back to when I was in school, I can recall a couple of Sudanese guys wearing parkas to class in May, while most of us found the heat insufferable.

7. gsugsu

gsugsu Well-Known Member

No you do not need one of these. If you want to wear it do it. You will find so much Canada Goose being worn in downtown Toronto that you will immediately fit in.

8. 6up

6up Well-Known Member

You plan to rock one of them for style or for functional/practical purposes?

9. swan

swan Well-Known Member

I am looking for something stylish and practical at the same time.
    I am happy to hear other suggestion for headwear

10. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

Wait til you get there. See what people are wearing and what you like.

Go to a menswear store, the Bay, or even Mountain Equipment Co-Op.

Get a few things that cover a range of options.

11. fkl118

fkl118 Well-Known Member

You're coming to Toronto, not the Arctic tundra! :D
    A $20 wool toque from the the Bay will be more than adequate.

12. mjd

mjd Well-Known Member

I agree. I'm from central Canada and even in our winters that trapper hat is overkill, so for sure it's not needed in Toronto.

13. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Welcome to Styleforum swan. I would also recommend waiting until you arrive. This particular hat (Canada Goose) is of very good quality but is intended for prolonged exposure to extreme cold. Once you arrive in Toronto, you will notice (especially downtown) every other person wearing Canada Goose product. They'll even wear their CG parkas when the temperatures are too warm for it. It is half fasion trend and 100% Canadian pride to wear one, mostly because there is not much else left made in Canada anymore. Hoping you have a safe and pleasant journey to Toronto. Once you get settled in, we can certainly assist you further as there are many Torontonian members on SF.

14. gsugsu

gsugsu Well-Known Member

Wonder what percentage of the GTA Canada Goose flock is counterfeit (knowingly or unknowingly)?

15. MyOtherLife

A good question. I would wager most people will purchase their CG's from reputable sources rather than risking an expensive embarassment but you are right that there are many counterfeits out there. There should be a dedicated thread to Canada Goose if there isn't one already.

16. swan

swan Well-Known Member

thanks for that piece of advice, im starting to get that picture that CG is what some Americans wear the north face as well even though not always necessary.
    I have never been to a canadian winter so just unsure how cold it gets and i have never been in weather colder than 0 degrees so just nervous because some people have warned me it get bloody cold there.
    Looks like i will just wait till i get there and see what people wear where i am working

17. addedfuel

addedfuel Well-Known Member

I live in Toronto and your fashion will depend on your lifestyle.

If you are living in the suburbs and drive a lot then you can wear anything you want because you'll be spending limited time exposed to the elements.

However if you don't have a car or live downtown and walk a lot, you need to wear that hat (I have one). It does get cold (constantly below zero degrees) in January and February that when I am exposed to the elements I feel my ears are about to fall off and lose sensation and this is great at keeping them warm if you are outdoors for more than 10 minutes.

18. swan

swan Well-Known Member

thanks for that, when i get in i will be living in thornhill so not sure if that is considered the suburbs or not but i will be travelling by train to downtown so im assuming there will be some sort of walking involved.
    im sure there will be times when i will be walking outside more than 10 min so maybe it will be useful and im not used to such cold weather.

19. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Well-Known Member

20. MyOtherLife

Thornhill? That changes everything! You'll need winter protection in Thornhill 100%. Thornhill is north of Toronto and its only public transit system is buses and GO Train Transit. Taking the train to downtown probably means you will be using GO Transit to Union Station. Union Station is close to Lake Ontario and it gets very windy down there as it does in Thornhill. If you don't have a car or even if you do, this hat, or a proper parka will be needed.
    addedfuel speaks the truth about January and February, especially the windchill factors. It is very common to have temperatures of -15°C and with windchill it can fee like -25°C and that is a balmy warm winter day. Temperatures can go even lower to -28°C and windchill to -35°C.
    Actually, for a Toronto - Thornhill winter, a nice Canada Goose Parka comes with its own hood and is more cost-efficient that buying the hat alone..

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012