1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumbie

Jumbie Well-Known Member

Squirreled Air America thread. I get tired of defending myself for having beliefs.

I read maybe the first three posts in that thread so I don't know what transpired in there but it seems to me, based on the part I bolded, like you're using your mod powers for your own personal "gain"??

2. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Well said. I am somewhat sympathetic to dah's point, but at least DT lacks the self-seriousness of the CEsspool.

I may be the only one here who finds redeeming qualities in the CEsspool : it allows us to understand a little better who the people behind the screen names are. If I was only reading the MC forum, I wouldn't know much about these posters - but reading what they write in the CEsspool, I can start to understand their personlities a little better. I'm sure this has absolutely no importance for many SFers but I kinda like that.

DT can be funny but very rarely. The majority of OPs there think they're funny but they're just strange. Then comes Thomas or another talented DTer and things get better.

3. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Well-Known Member

I read maybe the first three posts in that thread so I don't know what transpired in there but it seems to me, based on the part I bolded, like you're using your mod powers for your own personal "gain"??

If I were a mod here I would ban everyone with whom I had disagreement. I don't see why mods should restrain themselves.

4. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

I may be the only one here who finds redeeming qualities in the CEsspool : it allows us to understand a little better who the people behind the screen names are. If I was only reading the MC forum, I wouldn't know much about these posters - but reading what they write in the CEsspool, I can start to understand their personlities a little better. I'm sure this has absolutely no importance for many SFers but I kinda like that.

DT can be funny but very rarely. The majority of OPs there think they're funny but they're just strange. Then comes Thomas or another talented DTer and things get better.

DT is what it is, I read something offensive there, I know it's something some keyboard warrior is typing to get a response, get a lulz. I go to CE, see a serious topic, then read how gays are not equal to "regular" human beings, read the regular racism, read the constant "how can anyone with a brain be religious?" and then stuff in DT seems very innocuous.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Squirreled Air America thread. I get tired of defending myself for having beliefs.

No comment.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

DT is what it is, I read something offensive there, I know it's something some keyboard warrior is typing to get a response, get a lulz. I go to CE, see a serious topic, then read how gays are not equal to "regular" human beings, read the regular racism, read the constant "how can anyone with a brain be religious?" and then stuff in DT seems very innocuous.

Yea - but aren't you glad you can read what these people really think? It's eye-opening and quite informative.

7. why

why Well-Known Member

I get tired of defending myself for having beliefs.

Lots of people on SF have beliefs, and luckily they don't all have mod powers too. What was that thread about? Wasn't it just a unanimous 'good riddance'?

Yea - but aren't you glad you can read what these people really think? It's eye-opening and quite informative.

I'd say it's more mind-numbing, but to each his own.

8. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

If there was no CE, maybe I would still have my e-BFF. [​IMG]

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

We're not e-BFFs? [​IMG]

10. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Well-Known Member

Who was your bff and what happened? [​IMG]

11. redcaimen

redcaimen Well-Known Member

Get some beliefs that are less taxing to defend.

12. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Steve, don't really read much of your posts (enough to know that you are on the left) and did not read Air America but I have read posts by others complaining of this type of action that you take as a Mod. There is nothing wrong with having unpopular beliefs and you are not going to convert anyone here but to shut down the conversation is rather Ask Andyish and not to anyone's benefit. Write what you believe, defend it to what ever level you feel you need to and then move on. Again, did not read the threak and if there was anyhting offensive there, I understand removing it.

13. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I was following the thread, and I'm surprised, frankly, that SteveB found it to be squirrel-worthy. Usually I have no problem at all with the mods squirrelling, but this one seems a little heavy-handed; especially if, as SteveB said, it is merely to rid himself of the task of defending himself. I found nothing in there obscene, racist or otherwise morally reprehensible.

14. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Well-Known Member

Steve, don't really read much of your posts (enough to know that you are on the left) and did not read Air America but I have read posts by others complaining of this type of action that you take as a Mod. There is nothing wrong with having unpopular beliefs and you are not going to convert anyone here but to shut down the conversation is rather Ask Andyish and not to anyone's benefit. Write what you believe, defend it to what ever level you feel you need to and then move on. Again, did not read the threak and if there was anyhting offensive there, I understand removing it.

yeah I don't think that removing a thread because people don't like what you say is right or they think it's stupid. Hell, if I did that for every retarded thing I've posted, I'd have a 0 post count. Seriously though, that is rather childish and kinda reminds of something that Cartman would do lol.

[​IMG]

15. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

I was following the thread, and I'm surprised, frankly, that SteveB found it to be squirrel-worthy. Usually I have no problem at all with the mods squirrelling, but this one seems a little heavy-handed; especially if, as SteveB said, it is merely to rid himself of the task of defending himself. I found nothing in there obscene, racist or otherwise morally reprehensible.
    +1. He has a pattern of doing this; I don't get it either. Though, like Ed, I didn't follow the thread closely... isn't much of the point of CE having to defend or articulate your viewpoints or arguments? If it's just supposed to be a Drudge Report accumulation of links with 50 word summaries... what's the point?

16. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment This is what happens when you give hippies a nightstick and some authority. Steve has long been the least stable, most arbitrary, and most biased mod. He's also the second most tenured person on the forum besides J. Every once in a while I try to push him over the edge for the greater good, but so far he resists my attempts. I don't trust him. One of these days he's going to snap and it's going to be a big deal.

17. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

Ridiculous. I differ with all the mods to some degree or another when it comes to politics, but to the credit of all the non-SteveB mods, they all seem pretty even-handed in their moderation of CEPM and none squirrel threads or threaten to ban posters who criticize their views. Maybe it's time to make SteveB moderator of the less controversial forums.

18. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

I think you're over dramatizing...a love once born etc.

19. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

Ridiculous. I differ with all the mods to some degree or another when it comes to politics, but to the credit of all the non-SteveB mods, they all seem pretty even-handed in their moderation of CEPM and none squirrel threads or threaten to ban posters who criticize their views. Maybe it's time to make SteveB moderator of the less controversial forums.
    Strangely enough, SteveB is not officially a moderator of the CE forum. Just wanted to point that out.

20. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

lol. Hope I don't get a night in the box for saying that.

I agree with gdl in that the CE gives interesting insight into people. I also agree with why in that it is often painful. Interestingly, my favorite people to read, and the ones for whom I have gained more respect by reading their posts are often those whose opinions are diametrically opposed to mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.