1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

Mel Brooks once said something that I thought was profoundly stupid. He said, in effect, that when confronted with evil like Hitler, the only sane response is to laugh at it/him...
    That may be his take on a pretty common, old (which is not to say bad) aphorism. I've heard other versions like, "The proper response to sacrilege is laughter." Of course, sacrilege is not exactly the same as evil.
    I've seen pictures of both and adorable is not an adjective I would use.
    ...GoSurface is totally adorable.
    +1 and this (seconds 20-35).

2. JetBlast

JetBlast Well-Known Member

I think the "Account Closed" thing is just a joke. He has been posting and pm'ing.

Yea I saw this and got my hopes up, and then they were shot down again.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Why was Fran banned for good? [​IMG] It says "Account Closed." Did he do something new?
    I think we should all bombard the mods with PMs until somone "unbans" AF.

4. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

I think we should all bombard the mods with PMs until somone "unbans" AF.

mmmmm nah

5. Homme

Homme Well-Known Member

[manton]For the past few days i have only been able to browse for 3-4 minutes at a time before the site times out. Five or so minutes later it works again.[/manton]

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Think that's bad? Most of the Japanese students who have come through my center -- including one businessman in his early 40s -- couldn't even name the current emperor! (I could, though.)

That's probably because virtually no-one in Japan uses the Emperor's name, but they instead use the title of his period as Emperor. Thus, Hirohito is called Showa Tenno (the Emperor Showa). I have never heard anyone say "Hirohito" in Japan but the vast majority of people would know the Emperor Showa. His son Akihito, the current Emperor, is referred to as Tenno Heika, which simply means "current Emperor".

Even though the current Imperial period is referred to as the Heisei period (it's now the 22nd year of the Heisei period), it would be rude to refer to the current Emperor as "Heisei Tenno" as that is how he will be referred to once he has died. It would also be rude to refer to the current Emperor as "Akihito" as that would be regarded as very familiar and thus very presumptuous.

7. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Metrostyles is a worthless piece of shit who is trying to turn the forum into 4chan, and enough basement-dwellers and shut-in 13 year-olds want to play along to make this a possibility. Please shut down his thread that crosses a line -- and you know which one.

That said, foo is displaying all of his very worst characteristics in that thread and the Pierce Brosnan thread. I don't need to list them here.

8. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

Metrostyles is a worthless piece of shit who is trying to turn the forum into 4chan, and enough basement-dwellers and shut-in 13 year-olds want to play along to make this a possibility. Please shut down his thread that crosses a line -- and you know which one.

That said, foo is displaying all of his very worst characteristics in that thread and the Pierce Brosnan thread. I don't need to list them here.

Love you too, babe.

9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Moo, I certainly respect what lies behind your viewpoint. But isn't it presumptuous to assume that someone might not have a comparable background and just have a different way of processing/dealing with it? Take the Mel Brooks quote Manton mentioned -- I don't think it can be said that Brooks only developed that attitude because the Holocaust had no personal relevance for him.

I think that the difference is that Mel Brooks is Jewish and can do what he wants with the Holocaust. As can any other Jew. I don't mind someone of the Jewish heritage "making fun of" or "dealing" with our history in whatever way they choose. They've earned that right. Anyone else though... not so much. It becomes offensive.

10. robin

robin Well-Known Member

Agree ++

11. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

I think that the difference is that Mel Brooks is Jewish and can do what he wants with the Holocaust. As can any other Jew. I don't mind someone of the Jewish heritage "making fun of" or "dealing" with our history in whatever way they choose. They've earned that right. Anyone else though... not so much. It becomes offensive.

Go jerk off on a pork chop you schizophrenic freak.

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Yes.

13. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

I'd appreciate it if you did, actually.

14. haganah

haganah Well-Known Member

There are people that actually think anything MetroStyles posts is even remotely funny? I have no problem with really awful jokes, given my proclivity towards dead baby jokes, but the kid is just un-funny. And I always get him and Flambeur mixed up.

RJ, please discipline your children. Thank you.

15. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

I'd appreciate it if you did, actually.

Have you ever read the Brer Rabbit story about the Tar Baby?

16. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Go jerk off on a pork chop you schizophrenic freak.

Don't you have a cat or two to fuck, you bestial bastard?

17. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

turn the forum into 4chan, and enough basement-dwellers and shut-in 13 year-olds want to play along to make this a possibility.

Let's be honest, this ship sailed long ago when we decided that insulting each other was more fun than whatever brought most of us here in the first place. We can kill MS, but how many will rise to take his place?

18. MetroStyles

Let's be honest, this ship sailed long ago when we decided that insulting each other was more fun than whatever brought most of us here in the first place. We can kill MS, but how many will rise to take his place?

Let's not stereotype here. I only insult foo. And Conne.

19. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Let's not stereotype here. I only insult foo. And Conne.

My comments are in relation to the downward spiral in the quality of discourse that has occurred here and not aimed specifically at you (or anyone else for that matter).

20. MetroStyles

My comments are in relation to the downward spiral in the quality of discourse that has occurred here and not aimed specifically at you (or anyone else for that matter).

Believe me, I agree with you. DT itself has become dumber than ever and it's been spilling over to other parts of the forum more and more. Wasn't there a similar issue raised up a few months ago? I voted for getting rid of DT.

Anyhow, don't give a kid a toy and expect him not to play with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.