1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

3) wsjinterestingpiece

Yeah, but those are all either about taxes (people are moving!) or climatelackofchange.

2. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

I just got in my car and went across the border to the New Jersey McDonalds for lunch so I can save on taxes.

Good thing they don't tax gas.

Yeah, but those are all either about taxes (people are moving!) or climatelackofchange.

Exactly. In fact, sometimes I wonder if - as with Conne - he's an algorithm made to post other's content based on very narrow criteria.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Sometimes they're simply about OBama's misguided policies and how we're spending now our grandchildren's money.

4. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

+1 I understand most of the complaints about AF, but I don't see this one. I can't recall anything I've seen him post that I consider to be bigoted.
    I don't think AF should be banned or go anywhere. At the same time, if he didn't get the pushback he gets, I don't think he's able to realize where to draw the line on his own.
    Sometimes they're simply about OBama's misguided policies and how we're spending now our grandchildren's money.
    Like Obama's government helicopters?
    AF is annoying and monotonous, but I can't figure out why he is more annoying than the rest of the morons. Please advise, and don't use derogatory names for Jews when addressing me.
    I think it's because unlike most of us, AF actually cares. It's just that the way in which he chooses to care sometimes seems so disastrously misguided that there's almost some involuntary reaction against imminent danger involved in those who react to him.

5. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

AF is annoying and monotonous, but I can't figure out why he is more annoying than the rest of the morons. Please advise, and don't use derogatory names for Jews when addressing me.

"In talking to my friends, I've found ..."
    "Colleagues in the industry consistently tell me ..."
    "Anecdotally, my neighbors all say ..."
    "I have old co-workers in the field that universally agree ..."

I actually prefer the Drudge Report and WSJ regurgitated links.

I actually don't think he's more annoying. He's just an easy target, because he's clearly smart. It's just the broken record thing and the fact that his record plays more often and more loudly than others.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

It was my understanding that although he resigned as a CE moderator to make his enthusiastic participation in the scuffle more fair, he retained mod powers to edit and delete messages when his threads were getting out of hand.

Shouldn't everyone have that power then? /shrug

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

"In talking to my friends, I've found ..."
    "Colleagues in the industry consistently tell me ..."
    "Anecdotally, my neighbors all say ..."
    "I have old co-workers in the field that universally agree ..."

I actually prefer the Drudge Report and WSJ regurgitated links.

I actually don't think he's more annoying. He's just an easy target, because he's clearly smart. It's just the broken record thing and the fact that his record plays more often and more loudly than others.

This one time at band camp...

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Like Obama's government helicopters?

Clearly the only reason he even ran in the first place.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

he's clearly smart
    You don't know his educational background Zach.

10. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't everyone have that power then? /shrug
    You forget that same CE participants are more equal than others.

11. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Fran is to CE what gas is to a car engine. Without it, the engine doesn't run. With the right amount, you chug along at a nice pace. With too much, it blows up in your face.

12. haganah

haganah Well-Known Member

Sometimes I read a thread and I have no idea who to be angry with first. AF usually starts the thread so I start with him. But then class warfare ensues, rhnold talks about getting his first hjob on canal street, and we all end up frustrated.

13. Brian SD

I wonder what the world of spaminating is like for people who don't log on during the evening in Asian time zones. Because I swear I kill off at least 10 spammers every night that I log in.

14. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Sometimes I read a thread and I have no idea who to be angry with first. AF usually starts the thread so I start with him. But then class warfare ensues, rhnold talks about getting his first hjob on canal street, and we all end up frustrated.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

I pologize for messing up this FS thread, but even if the thread isn't against the letter of the law, it's at least obnoxious, right?

16. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    I don't think AF should be banned or go anywhere. At the same time, if he didn't get the pushback he gets, I don't think he's able to realize where to draw the line on his own.

I agree. He strikes me as someone who needs to be reminded from time to time that his is not the only ideology in the world.

The issue I take with calling him a bigot is that it seems to assume some connection that flows from his Republican ideology. There seems to be this assumption that, because Rush et. al. are huge racists, all Repubs must follow suit, and I don't think that's fair. If he's said something racist I think he should be called on it, but it just feels sometimes like Repubs, AF included, end up pegged as racists on assumption, rather than reality.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

You forget that same CE participants are more equal than others.

True enough.

I wonder what the world of spaminating is like for people who don't log on during the evening in Asian time zones. Because I swear I kill off at least 10 spammers every night that I log in.

[​IMG]

18. Brian SD

I agree. He strikes me as someone who needs to be reminded from time to time that his is not the only ideology in the world.

The issue I take with calling him a bigot is that it seems to assume some connection that flows from his Republican ideology. There seems to be this assumption that, because Rush et. al. are huge racists, all Repubs must follow suit, and I don't think that's fair. If he's said something racist I think he should be called on it, but it just feels sometimes like Repubs, AF included, end up pegged as racists on assumption, rather than reality.

I think it mostly stems from his obsession with wanting to be able to use the word "nigger," and his general tone-deafness toward contemporary black culture. Not that the rest of us our experts.

I agree though, he's never said anything overtly racist, it's always been more of an assumption than verified scientific theory. Racism is without a doubt the #1 leading cause of banhammer for long-time posters on SF - he wouldn't last if he was actually a bigot.

19. thats.mana

thats.mana Well-Known Member

Did SF's server clock go back an hour?

20. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

You don't know his educational background Zach.

Now that I know he received his elementary education in Georgia, I'd like to retract my earlier statement.

Also, my "quick reply" button does not work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.