1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

I'll do it. I already moderate the other board I post on, and it's a hell of a lot worse than this one in terms of crap that needs to be cleaned up, CE notwithstanding.

2. appolyon

appolyon Well-Known Member

I'm in Oz and can tackle the spam that originates while the rest of the world sleeps. Not like I do anything at work anyway ...

3. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

The speading the job round the globe to cover different timezones is a good idea.

How did Attwater get to 75 spam posts [​IMG]

I presume the 60 secs between emails rule is to prevent abuse, but it does make reporting spam difficult...

4. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

5. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need somebody who lives on the other side of the world...

6. VKK3450

VKK3450 Well-Known Member

Ya, why the f@ck is there no European representation in this mod malarky?

I suggest a reverse Boston Tea Party type thingy to provide us with some representation.

K

7. EnglishGent

EnglishGent Well-Known Member

I suggest a reverse Boston Tea Party type thingy to provide us with some representation.

K

Something like no spammination without representation.

8. VKK3450

VKK3450 Well-Known Member

Something like no spammination without representation.

Yea, or we'll throw their 7 fold ties and raw denim in the Thames.

K

9. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Quick question, if I hit the red triangle, I assume it just reports that post. How do I just report a whole user who's a spammer?
    I usually just write a message in the post report box...

10. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

K

I always assumed being made a mod was some form of cruel punishment...

11. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Item 1) This may be the height of impracticality and idiocy on my part (and I realize I set a high bar here) but I think it would be nice to be able to set my view to only see threads that are started by, say, a senior member (i.e. - someone with over 100 posts). That way I could avoid the spam AND some of the newb threads. Not that I advocate that newbs shouldn't start threads, but I just am not up to reading them these days. Anyway, like I mentioned, impractical.

but, read on...

Point b) anti-spammer measures. I think the current MSFT Exchange bolt-on spam filter will automatically tag mail as spam if four users (worldwide, as I'm told) mark it as spam. Four users. If there was the means to ban or spaminate or suspend a poster based on four reports, that would certainly be nice and take a load off the mods, although Artisan Fan might have a hell of a time getting continually banned and un-banned...not that he's never been through that before.

12. countdemoney

countdemoney Well-Known Member

^^^^

Just set the condition as four reports and under 100 posts. Not sure how hard that would be to script or not.

13. dirknibleck

dirknibleck Member

You could opt for a minimum number of notifications (ie 4) to set the message as inappropriate and non-viewable. If the message is not deleted, the OP could have an option to appeal which could the message viewable again, but leave it flagged for moderation.

You would, of course, likely need 2 or 3 additional columns in your DB and a new query to determine what posts to display, along with all of the programming related to the process :)

14. j

j Well-Known Member

If someone wants to program that I'm all ears. Unfortunately I don't know how. Also, though it stalled, I'm still "in the middle" of upgrading the forum to the newest version, and I'm not sure how the spam control functions will work in the new version. Once that upgrade is complete we can look at scripting custom stuff to deal with it. I've always wanted a post/thread threshold system where posts below a certain rating would be invisible by default, and a system like that would lend itself pretty well to anti spam usage.

15. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

If someone wants to program that I'm all ears. Unfortunately I don't know how. Also, though it stalled, I'm still "in the middle" of upgrading the forum to the newest version, and I'm not sure how the spam control functions will work in the new version. Once that upgrade is complete we can look at scripting custom stuff to deal with it. I've always wanted a post/thread threshold system where posts below a certain rating would be invisible by default, and a system like that would lend itself pretty well to anti spam usage.

That would really, really hurt DT.

The alternative is to just limit posters to one post in CE per day.

16. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for

That's crazy talk!

17. j

j Well-Known Member

That would really, really hurt DT.

The main point would be to cut down on useless/snarky posts in MC and SW&D where we ostensibly are still trying to help people get answers to legitimate clothing questions, which was the point of the forum in the first place. It drives me nuts when I see people post a question and the first 5 responses are stupid inside jokes between the same clowns that no one new is going to understand. I had hoped a system could be developed to somewhat discourage that.

18. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

The main point would be to cut down on useless/snarky posts in MC and SW&D where we ostensibly are still trying to help people get answers to legitimate clothing questions, which was the point of the forum in the first place. It drives me nuts when I see people post a question and the first 5 responses are stupid inside jokes between the same clowns that no one new is going to understand. I had hoped a system could be developed to somewhat discourage that.

I understand. Since it is usually the same group who do that, maybe they could just be warned.

19. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Its fucking awful these days. Especially in MC. Pretty much turned me off from asking questions in either forum.
    I understand. Since it is usually the same group who do that, maybe they could just be warned.
    +1

20. Night Owl

Night Owl Well-Known Member

Just limit voxsantorum to 1 post/day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.