1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

This was my contribution to fixing the problem:

Fok: "Um, people are telling me it's getting slow. Er... the forum."
    j. : "Fuck, something something technical - something about loads, the wiki, etc... The forum is broken."
    Fok: "Hmmmm (thinking). Maybe we should just go to a faster server. Totally worth it."
    j. : "Yeah, I'll probably get more RAM. We have X amount right now."
    Fok: "Yeah. We should get, like dual quad cores. Does that give us, like, an automatic 8 Gigs?"
    j : "That is the processor speed, not the RAM."
    Fok: "Oh? Yeah, I guess I knew that. Um, more RAM then. My machine here has 4 Gigs, that's what they told me."
    j: "Yah, sure. Um, can I fix the forum now, please?"

Sort of a Dilbert-esque scenario, and I'm not sure that I come off as the smart guy.

2. Gherkins

Gherkins Well-Known Member

J, have you ever thought about a Travelling subforum? I just did some searches on hotel recommendations (didn't find what I was looking for) and was amazed how much infos came up just on a search for "hotel". Seems like we have a huge amount of travel info already now.

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

Trying to figure out this new member's story: http://www.styleforum.net/member.php?u=32124 He/she just keeps posting the same sentence in every thread he/she enters. I don't get it... it's not really spamming, but maybe trying in the dorkiest, lamest way possible to build up a post count? EDIT: he/she's posting a link to a site in the sig, so I think it's def. spamming. Please send him back to Grammar School!!! [​IMG]

4. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

Trying to figure out this new member's story:

http://www.styleforum.net/member.php?u=32124

He/she just keeps posting the same sentence in every thread he/she enters. I don't get it... it's not really spamming, but maybe trying in the dorkiest, lamest way possible to build up a post count?

EDIT: he/she's posting a link to a site in the sig, so I think it's def. spamming. Please send him back to Grammar School!!! [​IMG]

Done

5. rach2jlc

Done

Thanks... because I mostly tend to agree but I'm not sure I *get* everything here. [​IMG]

6. binge

binge Well-Known Member

[​IMG] fei123 [​IMG]

Spam from a spammer... posts in many of the fora...

7. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

Question about the gallery/wiki; I've just collected a couple of hundred Esquire/Apparel Arts illustrations in a folder, and carefully edited them - can they get their own category? (I may have misunderstood how it works - am I allowed to start a new category?)

8. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

J, have you ever thought about a Travelling subforum? I just did some searches on hotel recommendations (didn't find what I was looking for) and was amazed how much infos came up just on a search for "hotel". Seems like we have a huge amount of travel info already now.
    i'm for that, but maybe just as a part/slight rename of fine living (ie fine living, travel, auto....), or otherwise as part of social life - something like that. I dont think we get the volume of posts to justify its own board.

9. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

Question about the gallery/wiki; I've just collected a couple of hundred Esquire/Apparel Arts illustrations in a folder, and carefully edited them - can they get their own category? (I may have misunderstood how it works - am I allowed to start a new category?)
    That's pretty cool. Do let us know when you've managed to get them posted.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

TrulySnob has been banned due to anti-semitic comments sent via PM.

Please be aware that only one party consent is necessary to disclose the contents of a personal message conversation.

Fok.

11. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

TrulySnob has been banned due to anti-semitic comments sent via PM.
    Ironically enough, to a guy with a Scottish surname

12. binge

binge Well-Known Member

i'm for that, but maybe just as a part/slight rename of fine living (ie fine living, travel, auto....), or otherwise as part of social life - something like that. I dont think we get the volume of posts to justify its own board.

Or maybe just pin a thread for it.

13. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

I second this, however you feel it is best accomplished. I think a subforum would be nice though. It would encourage questions and answers and I, for one, would browse it just for fun. There are a lot of SF members with a ton of really great knowledge and a lot of members in some really cool places. I'd love to corral some of that knowledge.

14. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

If corralling knowledge is anything like corralling teh dumb, it's harder than you think. Look what happened last time we got a new sub-forum (yes, I know, all my fault, etc.)...

15. rach2jlc

16. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

first one - got it. Tks.

second one is linking to Fade to Black though...joke or mistake?

edit - ok got it...the link was to the profile page of the last poster in the 'made in China' thread so generously supplied to us by someone who...uh..makes in China, when FtB posted a reply. MBLFashions is no longer with us.

17. Lady Canuker

Lady Canuker Well-Known Member

the second one linked to

unko

for me if thats any help.

18. rach2jlc

first one - got it. Tks. second one is linking to Fade to Black though...joke or mistake? edit - ok got it...the link was to the last poster in the 'made in China' thread so generously supplied to us by someone who...uh..makes in China, when FtB posted a reply. MBLFashions is no longer with us.
    Woops... definitely didn't mean to get FtB on the "bad" list. My mistake! Anyway, you fixed the error and found out the poster I was meaning! Thanks!

19. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Well-Known Member

hahahah close shave. Gilette Mach 3 steez up in here

20. rach2jlc

hahahah close shave. Gilette Mach 3 steez up in here

Yep, my bad. Luckily, though, the mods here are much more technologically savvy than I am and caught my mistake.

Anyway, I doubt there was ever any danger... I don't think I've got the pull (YET!) to get members banned just by "suggestion." If so, "why" would have been gone ages ago. (haha).

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.