1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Well-Known Member

chrisneils seems he's just adding useless stuff to threads to hawk his site.
    I think this bit from his website's FAQ is pretty funny: "Are your shoes authentic? Yes! Everything here at Kar**msK*cks.com comes with a 100% money-back authenticity guarantee. Please understand that our shoes are shipped directly from third party warehouses. We make every attempt to only work with accredited and licensed warehouses, however if in case you think the shoes you received may not be authentic, we simply ask that you return them to us for a full refund." So, it's like "yeah, our shoes are authentic, but if they aren't, just send them back to us." [​IMG]

2. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

Why doesn't styleforum have a +/- rep function?

3. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

4. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Why doesn't styleforum have a +/- rep function?

Is this something that can easily be done with the forum software? It could be very useful. I get a lot of buy requests from relatively new members, or members with low post counts. And there are others with low post counts to whom I've sold many things and would like to give them a +

5. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Well-Known Member

I keep timing out today. I want my money back.

6. j

j Well-Known Member

Is this something that can easily be done with the forum software? It could be very useful. I get a lot of buy requests from relatively new members, or members with low post counts. And there are others with low post counts to whom I've sold many things and would like to give them a +
    Yes, the software does it but none of the mods have thought it would be a great idea because it leads to stupid popularity contests.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

yah, just had a look, he has banged out like 10 posts in 15 minutes, in fairness to him, all on topic and none flagrantly shilling, but he does have a very extensive commercial signature, so your concerns are well founded.

I'll bring it up with Top Management [​IMG]

Thanks for pointing it out.

Er... I did nothing because I tend to be conservative that way, but j. may have deep-sixed him. I haven't checked.

Yes, the software does it but none of the mods have thought it would be a great idea because it leads to stupid popularity contests.

Unfortunately, while I've seen rep systems work under some circumstances, more often than not, I've seen guys being goaded on to be extra disckheaded by e-peen plussage.

8. Merckx

Merckx Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, while I've seen rep systems work under some circumstances, more often than not, I've seen guys being goaded on to be extra disckheaded by e-peen plussage.

But, that wouldn't happen here. [​IMG]

9. robin

robin Well-Known Member

Instead of rep'ping, we could award douchebag points. [​IMG]

10. eidolon

eidolon Well-Known Member

It could work if it was entirely relegated to B&S, and the numbers didn't show outside of that subforum. I know what you mean though, I have never seen these reputation systems work well on any forum.

11. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

I can't see any advantage to a rep system.

12. j

j Well-Known Member

I've thought of setting up a system like some tech support boards have where someone who asks a question can award points to the person who answers it best, and the points could count toward something (coupons, Amazon $, or whatever) - that could be a very useful thing as it would encourage people to help answer questions. It's kind of a complicated system though, and I don't have time to figure it all out. You'd have to figure out how to limit the number of questions a person could ask so people wouldn't be giving out the points left and right - maybe people could "buy" a question with a small donation to the site of a couple dollars, and then some of the money would be redistributed to the top few answerers. I dunno.

Other than that, no, rep is hard to keep fair and mostly just a pain.

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

14. JetBlast

JetBlast Well-Known Member

-1 rep for you.

Jon.

15. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

I can't see any advantage to a rep system.

I've never seen it on a board, but can see how it could be a pain.

16. j

j Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and plus you know I'd always be messing with people by ediitng their rep directly in the database. [​IMG]

17. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Maybe we should just have j rate people.

18. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I've thought of setting up a system like some tech support boards have where someone who asks a question can award points to the person who answers it best, and the points could count toward something (coupons, Amazon $, or whatever)

It would be interesting to see how the person asking the question decided who answered it best. Maybe we should only let n00bs give rep. [​IMG]

I have to say, I've never seen the rep system work well.

19. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

I'd think that if folks paid attention over the course of a few weeks, a rep system would be either redundant or misleading.

20. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.