• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trans Mod Dim Sum

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
My sister keeps Glatt Kosher. She took me to a kosher sushi restaurant once. I ordered the salmon sashimi and I swear they brought me out a small pile of lox.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I figured that Apricat was probably a Chinese specialty. Or is that Korean? All rook same and all.

actually, apricots (and most stone fruit) originate in the highlands of central china. :foo:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

actually, apricots (and most stone fruit) originate in the highlands of central china. :foo:

What about apricats? Do they originate in the Chinese women's Olympic testing program? :foo:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My sister keeps Glatt Kosher. She took me to a kosher sushi restaurant once. I ordered the salmon sashimi and I swear they brought me out a small pile of lox.

There used to be a good, real, kosher sushi place in NY. I forget what it was called, but it was in Soho. This was 20 years ago, back when sushi was pretty exotic. There may still be, but I don't know. On the other hand, it is a common trend for kosher steak houses to have sushi, which I don't really understand. Perhaps they are really good, but I am dubious (I know one place served my friend frozen, literally, salmon sushi or sashimi and then tried to explain that it has to be that way for health regulations and it would thaw in a minute). I tried to discourage my wife from ordering the sushi at a local, kosher burger/steak place but when she told me she only wants cucumber sushi anyway I gave up.

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
trans mod is kind of like styleforum's halls of power, so it makes sense then that the jews have taken over here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

trans mod is kind of like styleforum's halls of power, so it makes sense then that the jews have taken over here.

But notice that they are all clamoring for Chinese food. So, who's really in charge? I think we know.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Also, all my friends in New York are Jews and "like" to eat dim sum even though they cannot eat pork and generally don't like anything sticky or gelatinous. Essentially, they eat the shrimp dumplings. A small plate each. And then they are done. Meanwhile there I am ordering like a proper Chinese person, with 12-15 small plates covering the table, and liquified pork fat flying out the corners of my mouth. Also, they insist on going at "lunch time," which is like 1:30 in the afternoon, and don't understand all the good stuff will be gone or stale by then.
It's not fun when you do it with people who don't do it right.

wait wut?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

david chus china bistro in bmore serves it. i will try it and report back.
how is it supposed to be served? i never had it, i just assumed from what you said that there was something unkosher about how it was served. like dim sum or something.

They cut the duck by the table, into slices of meat and slices of skin, which should be crispy. They also supply you with very thin "pancakes" (we always called them "wrappers" but I don't know which is more technically correct), hoisin (pronounced high-shen) sauce, which is a dark, somewhat tangy Chinese sort of barbecue sauce (impossible to not like), and scallions.

You spread hoisin sauce on a wrapper/pancake. You can be very liberal with this--the resulting roll should be sufficiently moist. Then you lay out a few pieces of meat, vertically across the pancake. Two or three are the right amount. It looks like a little, but it is enough. Then lay out two or three pieces of crispy skin on top of the meat. Then add a piece or two of scallions if you like (I don't use them). Fold up the bottom of the pancake an inch or so and then firmly roll up the whole thing like a cigar. The folded up bottom is to keep everything from dripping out. Enjoy.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
in addition to the scallions there is often cold, finely shredded cucumber, long strands like hair.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lolz, im not even remotely surprised.

There used to be a good, real, kosher sushi place in NY. I forget what it was called, but it was in Soho. This was 20 years ago, back when sushi was pretty exotic. There may still be, but I don't know. On the other hand, it is a common trend for kosher steak houses to have sushi, which I don't really understand. Perhaps they are really good, but I am dubious (I know one place served my friend frozen, literally, salmon sushi or sashimi and then tried to explain that it has to be that way for health regulations and it would thaw in a minute). I tried to discourage my wife from ordering the sushi at a local, kosher burger/steak place but when she told me she only wants cucumber sushi anyway I gave up.

i find now that just about EVERY kosher joint has added sushi to the menu. a few are ok, most i wouldnt go near.

:nodding:

But notice that they are all clamoring for Chinese food. So, who's really in charge? I think we know.

:laugh:

still teh jooos

wait wut?

INORITE

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

let's have lunch at Shun Lee or Mr. K's then, both are close.

Shun Lee's Peking duck is hit or miss. But I can't name any place in the city any more consistent.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Shun Lee's Peking duck is hit or miss. But I can't name any place in the city any more consistent.

you have never been to the one on the east side, which is the original and always good.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They cut the duck by the table, into slices of meat and slices of skin, which should be crispy. They also supply you with very thin "pancakes" (we always called them "wrappers" but I don't know which is more technically correct), hoisin (pronounced high-shen) sauce, which is a dark, somewhat tangy Chinese sort of barbecue sauce (impossible to not like), and scallions.
You spread hoisin sauce on a wrapper/pancake. You can be very liberal with this--the resulting roll should be sufficiently moist. Then you lay out a few pieces of meat, vertically across the pancake. Two or three are the right amount. It looks like a little, but it is enough. Then lay out two or three pieces of crispy skin on top of the meat. Then add a piece or two of scallions if you like (I don't use them). Fold up the bottom of the pancake an inch or so and then firmly roll up the whole thing like a cigar. The folded up bottom is to keep everything from dripping out. Enjoy.

in addition to the scallions there is often cold, finely shredded cucumber, long strands like hair.

this all sounds positively scrumptious.

one thing i can assure you of however, they are not preparing anything at the table at david chus. :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics