1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Trans Mod Dim Sum

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by itsstillmatt, Aug 2, 2012.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

No, it is not rocket science. But it is a very different style of eating than many are used to. Using chopsticks is easy, so I would be more amazed if someone eating Chinese or Japanese didn't know how to use them. However, having lived in DC, Chicago, and New York City all my life, with a stint in New England, I can say that the people I spend time with generally aren't "rubes." They just don't understand that you aren't meant to order that plate of orange beef just for yourself. Same issue with sushi. Ninety percent of the time I eat sushi with non-Asians, everyone orders their own rolls and fish. I find that extremely odd. Yet it is somewhat to be expected given cultural differences. As I pointed out the same goes the other way around.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I think a lot of sushi joints make that clear too. The menu states, sushi for 2, sushi for 3 and so on...

3. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

Hang on, now you've gone too far, no Asian culture (except Vietnamese) can make a decent pastry or dessert.

4. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I assumed kosher Peking Duck would be awful but if you try one first and can confirm for me that it is good, you have a deal.

5. patrickBOOTH

My girlfriend was just in Cambodia for over a month and she couldn't believe that almost nobody used chopsticks. She thought they would.

6. patrickBOOTH

Do they have it at le marais? :confused:

7. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

The dim sum place near the gallery is the only good Chinese food in Chinatown. Everything else is awful. They are pretty cute with the Chinatown pride however. (old sign) [​IMG]

8. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

With sushi it depends on the particular style of restaurant, but generally that's the way you're supposed to do it you order what you want, so I guess you're guilty of your own pet peeve.

9. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

very well then.

I LEAVE FOR 2 HOURS AND ALL THE J00s ARE EATING PORK AND SHRIMP!!!!!

im in on this too.

i dont think so

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Is there anything that would make Peking duck particularly not Kosher?

11. patrickBOOTH

Blood, and the way it is killed?

12. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

empress pavillion up at the north end used to be quite good. haven't eaten there in a couple of years, though. i took julia child there once and the entire kitchen staff came out to meet her and take pictures with her. so funny, i think only 2 of them spoke english but they knew who she was.

13. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

No. Nothing inherent in the dish would make it not kosher. You just need a kosher slaughtered duck and a kosher kitchen.

My assumption is that kosher Chinese food places just don't make much of an effort to be particularly good. All the ones I have tried seem like they are hiding cheap campus lunch trucks in the kitchen. I could be wrong, though. I certainly haven't tried very hard to find a good one.

14. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

That's the one. Awesome story, but photos or it didn't happen.
    Ever eat at the restaurant above Hop Louie? I always wonder about it though I imagine it's horrible.

15. itsstillmatt

In my attempt to bridge ancient cultures, I searched online for Kosher Chinese. The first site I found offered Chinese food and also Cajun and regular french fries. My eyes burned. It does seem that Cho Sen Garden in Flushing has Kosher Peking duck.

16. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

:puzzled:

edit: stitchy beat me to it. speaking of which, hey stitches, want to go for dim sum tomorrow?

17. foodguy

there used to be (maybe still is?) a kosher chinese restaurant on Fairfax Avenue called Genghis Cohen.

18. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

david chus china bistro in bmore serves it. i will try it and report back.

how is it supposed to be served? i never had it, i just assumed from what you said that there was something unkosher about how it was served. like dim sum or something.

19. foodguy

no pix here, but they may still be up at the restaurant. maybe not. she was very cool, she made them promise that they wouldn't use them for promotion before she would let them take the pictures.
    haven't. i just asked our pulitzer-prize winning restaurant critic who described it as "an old-man bar that can be fun if you're in the right mood but the food is repulsive". he shook his head in a very significant way when he said it.

20. itsstillmatt

OK, what is wrong with my people? I am looking at the menu for this restaurant, and lo and behold, fucking french fries. French fries are not Chinese. Neither is teriyaki beef or chicken nuggers (?wtf?)

http://www.allmenus.com/md/pikesville/245365-david-chus-china-bistro/menu/

Foo, please foof this menu.