1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Manton, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I drove one of these the past two days. It is a really nice car. I enjoyed it a lot. Well designed, nice handling, terrific interior, and way cool Star Trek like displays.

They are all over NorCal. Like, six on our street alone. I think they are talking about replacing the bear on the state flag with a Prius.

I especially loved the feeling of smug solidarity I felt with all the other Priuses I saw on the road. We are superior to the rest of you and we know it.

3 people like this.
  2. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

meh. I'd rather date a vegan and drive a Mini or a Fiat.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Does your Accord know?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  4. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

You struck me more as a Merc man, Manton.

5. gomestar

people who contribute to global cooling annoy me

1 person likes this.
  6. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

"Smug solidarity" is a great phrase to describe them.

7. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

hard-headed analysis suggests that the prius has no net positive enviro effects at all and may in fact be net-negative, so I'm off the hook here.

1 person likes this.
  8. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Virginia just passed a new tax on hybrid owners. The justification is hilarious. Hybrids get more MPGs, so they don't buy as much gas, so they pay less in gas tax. This was (ostensibly) to make up for that. However, they don't tax other high mileage cars. And...they got rid of the gas tax and replaced it with a sales tax increase. Hurray, politics!

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I actually heard some discussion about this on NPR once. People not paying their fair share!

10. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

Funny, over here the Prius and all electric cars are exempt from road tax exactly because they have such a high mileage..

Then again, we already pay 9 to 10 dollars a gallon, which has a big effect on which engine one chooses. I grew up with v12's , I don't think I will ever drive a new one as a daily driver again..

11. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

So, no joke, I counted Prii on the way to church, which is like one exit of the 1 from the house. 15 confirmed, 3 more suspected.

The mass was a sort of hybrid of paganism and hippiedom with a dusting of Catholicism, defnitely not a quality hybrid like the Prius.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    2 people like this.
  12. gomestar

I feel like the Prius would be an ideal Manton car.

MB? Not a chance in hell.

13. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

A hybrid town car? That would suit my perception of him...

14. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

I don't know that there are 15 Prii in all of Houston.

15. skrapmot

skrapmot New Member

We have a Prius, and its pretty awesome. Lots of room for the kids on day trips, easy to park and maneuver thru traffic, great for San Francisco. We average about 43 mpg so fill-ups are about once every 2 1/2 weeks.

16. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I went to SF and back, then to Carmel Valley, then into Monterey and back, then to SC, finally to Scott's Valley ... on six gallons. :slayer:

17. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Robert Parker drives an all electric Tesla. Just sayin. As an economic nationalist I support Tesla over Prius. Then again you can buy 2 or three Pruises (Priui?) for the price of a Tesla.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  18. patrickBOOTH

Another factor to consider for plug in hybrids is if they become very prevalent utilities might be forced to put a new meter in your house for the car and put it on mandatory time of day rates, which economically encourages one to charge it later or earlier than at 6 or 7pm whenever everybody gets home from work. Otherwise everybody plugging them in at the same time would put a lot of strain on load pockets and cause the utility to increase capital expenditures to reinforce the system unnecessarily. We are talking hundreds of millions to and easily billions of dollars to support them. Off peak charging is highly beneficial if you don't want your electric rates to skyrocket even more than they already have (in NY at least).

19. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

you east coast people don't understand. This is not an economic decision. Owning a prius is a gut level feeling of belonging and moral superiority, cost be damned. we may lie to ourselves that the cost is lower but that is OK, however, we don't like it to be pointed out to us. and we have elaborate rationalizations to "prove" you are wrong even if our math is preposterous.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  20. patrickBOOTH

So get the Rolls Royce all electric. Nothing sends that message like a $500,000 Eco-friendly vehicle.