1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

toronto

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by globetrotter, Jun 3, 2010.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

one day in toronto with my family in June. we are from chicago, so I want to avoid anything that we could, potentially, do in chicago better. 8 year old, twin 3 year olds. we like art, we pretty much never pay to see live sports.

any and all suggestions are welcome!

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

There's the Royal Ontario Museum. I'm sure you have museums in chicago but they're all different. Canada's Wonderland? there's a big zoo that's not far. I dunno... All big cities are kinda the same in a lot of ways. Your 8 year old would probably love the restaurant in the CN tower, but with 2 3 year olds you probably don't want to bring them to a relatively fancy restaurant.

3. imhotep

imhotep Well-Known Member

i think canada's wonderland would be a good idea for your kids. ontario place is another idea.

4. Qubaduck

Qubaduck Well-Known Member

Science Centre was always fun when I was a kid.

5. doink

doink Well-Known Member

I have not been in years, but centre island may be a spot to go for theme park fun.

6. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Science Centre was always fun when I was a kid.

I have not been in years, but centre island may be a spot to go for theme park fun.

Both are good. I enjoyed them when I was a kid.

7. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Well-Known Member

It's always hard to recommend specific highlights in Toronto because the city is more about the vibe and the neighbourhoods. It takes a while to get a feel for the place.

If you're into art and architecture, check out the Art Gallery of Ontario. It was recently renovated by Frank Gehry and was beautifully done. The gallery has an excellent collection of Canadian art--there's lots of Group of Seven. Thomson's model ship collection downstairs is pretty cool, too, and something the kids may enjoy.

8. Redwoood

Redwoood Well-Known Member

for art, there's also the Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art (MOCCA).

Also, you might be interested in checking out the northern part of Bathurst St and Thorn Hill (north of Toronto). A lot of Israeli expats live there, so you may find food you haven't had in a while [​IMG]

9. juvefan

juvefan Well-Known Member

this weekend, as part of Open Doors Toronto, i got to see the museum of inuit art. i have to say was quite inspiring, even though it was tiny, for a museum. also, right of the waterfront touristy area

10. M. Bardamu

M. Bardamu Well-Known Member

11. Sherman90

Sherman90 Well-Known Member

I'd probably suggest a walking trip, starting from Yonge and Bloor, heading west through Yorkville, south at Avenue (past the ROM, you can stop by if you wish), passing through the University of Toronto Campus, down to Queen Street, and then heading West. You'll pass Much Music, the youngsters of the city, you'll be able to choose whether to hang North on Spadina to catch China Town (and Kensington Market) or continue West to see the new gentrified Queen West. You could also plan to catch a symphony in the area at the TSO if you're into that. Lots of small kitchy art galleries along the way, plus nice coffee shops, etc.

You won't get a flavour of Toronto if you plan to visit an institution or a theme park. Walk it, eat, and walk some more!

12. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's truth to that. Walking is much better if you have the time, but toronto is big. I walked from the Royal Conservatory, down to spadina, and then down to chinatown and kensington, and then down dundas back to the st.patrick subway the other day. LONG walk, and I don't think anyone is gonna want to do that with kids.

13. globetrotter

good ideas, thanks - please keep them coming

14. Redwoood

Redwoood Well-Known Member

I can't believe nobody's mentioned the Hockey Hall of Fame. Is this still Canada? [​IMG] Edit: I wouldn't recommend Centre Island for your particular scenario, the reason being that while the island is nice and all, it can take a while to get there (depending on how many people have the same idea) and once you're on it, you're kinda trapped until you can fit on the next ferry. So you'll end up spending several ours 'on' the island, a significant part of which will be travelling/standing in line. There are a few kid-friendly attractions close to the ferry, but if you want to explore the island, there will be a lot of walking. Now, if you had a few more days to spend, that would be entirely different.

15. wetnose

wetnose Well-Known Member

For something different, go out of the city: there's a cute little town called Niagara on the Lake just 2 hours away, and on the way there are berry/cherry picking farms. Also fresh apples off the tree - can't beat that. Oh yeah, and there's a tourist attraction called Niagara Falls too.

And I'm sure you can't get this in Chicago: world class icewine wineries - free samples, anyone?

16. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

I can't believe nobody's mentioned the Hockey Hall of Fame. Is this still Canada? [​IMG]

Boring.

17. globetrotter

For something different, go out of the city: there's a cute little town called Niagara on the Lake just 2 hours away, and on the way there are berry/cherry picking farms. Also fresh apples off the tree - can't beat that. Oh yeah, and there's a tourist attraction called Niagara Falls too.

And I'm sure you can't get this in Chicago: world class icewine wineries - free samples, anyone?

thanks, that is actually on the plan for the following day

18. Bentley

Bentley Well-Known Member

With younger children you might be better off at Ontario Place rather than Wonderland. Ontario Place is a little less expensive and the rides at Wonderland tend to be a bit scary for younger children. We found that our younger children enjoyed Ontario Place better.

19. globetrotter

With younger children you might be better off at Ontario Place rather than Wonderland. Ontario Place is a little less expensive and the rides at Wonderland tend to be a bit scary for younger children. We found that our younger children enjoyed Ontario Place better.

cool, thanks

20. Omega Man

Omega Man Well-Known Member

Avoid at all costs going to the downtown core between (I'd say) 23rd to 28th. That means CN Tower, Centre Island and maybe Ontario Place are out of the question. Don't want you and your family get messed up during the G20 summit. The G8 will also take place earlier in the week, but it is in Huntsville (aka cottage country).
    Other than that, and with young children, I recommend Centre Island (nice little place with a few rides for the little ones and you can rent bikes (4-5 seater) and ride around the island). But you need to take a ferry to get to it. Ontario Place is another. Royal Ontario Museum (will be showing the Terra Cotta Warriors late in June), Art Gallery of Ontario etc. You may also want to give the Toronto Zoo a try. It has a water park so the little ones can fool around after seeing all the animals. Wonderland is not bad, it has a section specifically for kids. Wish we have an aquarium in Toronto, the Shedd in Chicago was excellent.