• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto restaurant recommendation

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
I love living in Parkdale. But for some reason, I have not yet visited Cowbell, even though it's only a couple of blocks from where I live. I'm waiting for a cold night in the dead of winter, when I'm famished after shoveling snow, and I'm going to try their pot pie (large, filling and tasty so I've heard).

When entertaining out-of-towners, I would never take them to the usual touristy spots (except perhaps Yorkville), but instead, take them to "nabes"...this is the real Toronto (and they all usually have several great eating spots). Parkdale is one of those places. Cowbell does "farmer's meals" in a small 30-seat joint (reserv's + 2 hour limits unfortunately). Mark Cutrara is ex-Globe Bistro and apprenticed under Jamie Kennedy. Sounds like a great meal, without much pretension.

And as for whether Mark does slow food, he says, "You can't get much slower than farm to table." He sous vides a lot of food - a technique borrowed from molecular gastronomy - to preserve and slow cook meat. He is especially pleased with how people are enjoying his slow-cooked elk.

Full carcasses of beef, elk, deer, etc arrive weekly and Mark is adamant about not "sticking the farmers with the legs. " He cooks jowls for up to 36 hours, dry age's meat and brines certain cuts in salt water. Downstairs beneath the restaurant he cures meats in house like brigole and prosciuttos.

"I really love to do chacouterie," he says. And his pot pie over all others dish is very important to his using of the whole animal philosophy.

And com'on...he's a handsome feller too...I feel better already knowing he will be handling my meat.
stirpot.gif

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
edit again (I wish someone would invent a forum that can just run maintenance-free for more than 5 fuking minutes).

doink

Reaction score
i've eaten at cowbell, it is in my 'hood too. The meal I had there was relatively good. I did find it a bit pretentious and forced. I have also read reviews that have not been so kind due to server surliness, small portions, poor wine list, premium prices on less than premium cuts of meat. While I like the idea and am happy it is in my area, I doubt I'll go back.

Friend went to nota bene, and despite all the great reviews, she said it was just OK.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Walked by it 15 minutes ago. My brother commented that he took two clients (at their request) last week. It was $500 and ****. YMMV.

Good to know. I'm interested in what they found objectionable about it, before I blow my (my company's) money. I've been to some of the places others have noted, and I want to give some newer ones a try.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
I have also read reviews that have not been so kind
As has every restaurant...one of life's little contradictions...the better the chef/restaurant, the worse the bad reviews get. Perhaps it is an off meal...perhaps expectations are not met...or perhaps it's a case of people who just get off on it. Which is why I tend to take bad reviews of obviously talented kitchens with a grain of salt, more than good reviews.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
I love living in Parkdale. But for some reason, I have not yet visited Cowbell, even though it's only a couple of blocks from where I live. I'm waiting for a cold night in the dead of winter, when I'm famished after shoveling snow, and I'm going to try their pot pie (large, filling and tasty so I've heard).

When entertaining out-of-towners, I would never take them to the usual touristy spots (except perhaps Yorkville), but instead, take them to "nabes"...this is the real Toronto (and they all usually have several great eating spots). Parkdale is one of those places. Cowbell does "farmer's meals" in a small 30-seat joint (reserv's + 2 hour limits unfortunately). Mark Cutrara is ex-Globe Bistro and apprenticed under Jamie Kennedy. Sounds like a great meal, without much pretension.

And com'on...he's a handsome feller too...I feel better already knowing he will be handling my meat.
stirpot.gif

the real Toronto ...
rolleyes.gif
crackup[1].gif

As opposed to what, Cherry Beach?
plain.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
the real Toronto ...
rolleyes.gif
crackup[1].gif

plain.gif

Ya that made me laugh. Toronto has no soul.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Ya that made me laugh. Toronto has no soul.
No smartass...I meant as in you don't come to Toronto, visit the CN Tower and the Eaton Centre...and think you did Toronto. Toronto is a city of diverse villages...there isn't supposed to be a Toronto soul, but it does have flavour.

Why does a site that purports to be about style, seem to be full of so many who lack it?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No smartass...I meant as in you don't come to Toronto, visit the CN Tower and the Eaton Centre...and think you did Toronto. Toronto is a city of diverse villages...there isn't supposed to be a Toronto soul, but it does have flavour.

Why does a site that purports to be about style, seem to be full of so many who lack it?

You live in toronto? Chances are absolutely spectacular that you are not so stylish yourself.

As for flavour, it doesn't have anything distinct. There is nothing distinctly toronto aside from Front St. and all its stupid tourist traps. There is nothing quintessentially toronto except for douchey jewish kids who try to talk like surfers, embarassing leaf fans, and the ******* CN tower.

Being there this week has reminded me of all this, and has reinforced why I never come through here.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
You live in toronto? Chances are absolutely spectacular that you are not so stylish yourself.

As for flavour, it doesn't have anything distinct. There is nothing distinctly toronto aside from Front St. and all its stupid tourist traps. There is nothing quintessentially toronto except for douchey jewish kids who try to talk like surfers, embarassing leaf fans, and the ******* CN tower.

Being there this week has reminded me of all this, and has reinforced why I never come through here.

yeah im sure thats all we have. being one of the most multicultural cities in the world etc. sounds like someone used to live here and had absolutely no life/friends and is now bitter. so sad.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
yeah im sure thats all we have. being one of the most multicultural cities in the world etc. sounds like someone used to live here and had absolutely no life/friends and is now bitter. so sad.

um, I have lived in Boston, New York and many different cities for shorter periods of time around the world. Multiculturalism has nothing to do with anything. It's a boring city with a fairly uptight conservative culture. Actually, there is no real culture. The bar scene is lame and within Canada everyone hates Toronto. Montreal is much, much better.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score

It's a boring city with a fairly uptight conservative culture. Actually, there is no real culture. The bar scene is lame and within Canada everyone hates Toronto. Montreal is much, much better.

ha ha ha

Really...we are just throwing a few dining options at someone. Why on earth you feel the need to use the thread to spew your mystifying wrong-headed views on the city is beyond me. Who are you trying to convince anyway?

It's people like you who ensure this site will never be taken very seriously.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ha ha ha

Really...we are just throwing a few dining options at someone. Why on earth you feel the need to use the thread to spew your mystifying wrong-headed views on the city is beyond me. Who are you trying to convince anyway?

It's people like you who ensure this site will never be taken very seriously.

Read back, I didn't start that. Sorry but when someone says the "real toronto"
sarcasm.gif
, you just have to laugh. The only people who'd be offended by that live in Toronto. Guess I'm much more of a Montreal guy, and you should be aware for the TO/Montreal hate.

Toronto is absolutely fine if for some reason I was being forced to go shopping in Canada or I have to find an accountant.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Back to topic, where did you wind up going?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
^ Back to topic, where did you wind up going?

I went to Canoe.

People do complain about Toronto not being a real landmark food city, but I liked it. I have, by the way, been to two of Mark Mcwehan's places. Canoe was exactly what I was looking for and the view was great. There was a lot of foie gras, and I had some Alberta beef which was nice. Everything was a hit. There wasn't anything daring or too adventurous, and in general I've found that not many chefs in that city have much of a point of view, but it was well executed food that tasted great, which is what I asked for, so thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads