1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Top Chef All Stars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Dec 2, 2010.

1. esquire.

esquire. Well-Known Member

It was great when Stefan developed a crush on the lesbian from San Francisco. Maybe that's why he's not back, he couldn't bear to do another season with her.

I always thought that Stefan mailed it in after Jamie, the lesbian chef from SF, got eliminated. After she left, he got bored because he didn't feel there was anybody left talented enough to challenge him.

I remember reading this interview about Stefan, where he said that he wasn't interested in competing in the early TC seasons because of the overall lack of talent in those first seasons. Only after Hung won it and he started to see better chefs apply did the show pique his interest. He didn't want to compete on the earlier seasons when he knew he would just mow down his fellow challengers, which he ironically ended up doing anyways on his season, and win the 100 grand if there was no challenge in it.

Sort of pointlessly dickish.

I mean he is great and all but imagine if he had to face that line-up rather than a typical season with a good helping of third-raters. How does he know he would have won?

To be fair to Michael Voltagio, he was the winner in TC's strongest season with the most talented chefs. I don't think Vegas should be regarded as just another typical season.

2. KJT

KJT Well-Known Member

After this or shortly, do they do a show with just the past winners?

^ I can definitely see that happening.

But so far, there's only been 8 seasons (including this current one). I don't think that's enough to have a Top Chef: Winners Circle season.

Also - the majority of the winners are running their own restaurants at this point with varying levels of success. You have to wonder if they'll all be willing to take x weeks off to compete.

I always thought that Stefan mailed it in after Jamie, the lesbian chef from SF, got eliminated. After she left, he got bored because he didn't feel there was anybody left talented enough to challenge him.

I remember reading this interview about Stefan, where he said that he wasn't interested in competing in the early TC seasons because of the overall lack of talent in those first seasons. Only after Hung won it and he started to see better chefs apply did the show pique his interest. He didn't want to compete on the earlier seasons when he knew he would just mow down his fellow challengers, which he ironically ended up doing anyways on his season, and win the 100 grand if there was no challenge in it.

He must have been doing quite well in life to pass up $100,000 he could win with no challenge.

3. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

He must have been doing quite well in life to pass up $100,000 he could win with no challenge.

srsly

4. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

Tried my hand at making ramen today from scratch, and used Angelo's braised pork belly recipe from his last elimination challenge--turned out very well.

5. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Well-Known Member

Also - the majority of the winners are running their own restaurants at this point with varying levels of success. You have to wonder if they'll all be willing to take x weeks off to compete.

Yeah, because back than he had no restaurants to subsidize.

6. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

lol

[​IMG]

Wow, he has not aged well at all. That's just awful.

7. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

The thing between Fabio and Bourdain was kinda embarrassing to watch. Was it unfair criticism? His dish did look like crap to me, too.

And, yeah, where's Kevin from the Vegas show? He was my favorite that season.

8. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

Bourdain actually apologised in his blog about being overly critical of Fabio; maybe he's losing his edge, heh.

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Bourdain actually apologised in his blog about being overly critical of Fabio; maybe he's losing his edge, heh.
    What edge

10. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Well-Known Member

The kind of edge you can only get growing up in New Jersey. Like me.

11. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    I'll second the surprise of the real Stefan v. the TV one. it's not like I know him well, but I've spent some time with him and found him really pretty charming. he's the kind of guy who will say just about anything to get a reaction, but he is smart and funny. i can see why his cooks would be loyal to him.
    should be kind of an interesting season, though i have to admit that wasn't a big fan of angelo last season ... he seemed the kind of cook who talked better than he produced. this does seem to be a well-rounded cast cuisine-wise ... you've got some real solid kitchen dogs like dale, some molecular guys, some chez panisse-rs...should make for an interesting mix of dishes.

12. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Well-Known Member

There are two Dales this season, and a few people are naming one as the front runner. Which one is it? The asian one?

13. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

There are two Dales this season, and a few people are naming one as the front runner. Which one is it? The asian one?

No, I think people mean the other one, who appaers to be a stronger chef and ran a really great restaurant in Chicago before it closed four years ago.

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

No, I think people mean the other one, who appaers to be a stronger chef and ran a really great restaurant in Chicago before it closed four years ago.

God it's hard to imagine that was only 4 years ago.

15. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Well-Known Member

The thing between Fabio and Bourdain was kinda embarrassing to watch. Was it unfair criticism? His dish did look like crap to me, too.

And, yeah, where's Kevin from the Vegas show? He was my favorite that season.

+1, was really hoping ginger Kevin would make an appearance, he was awesome. I also had a friend who ate at his place in Atlanta and raved about it

16. foodguy

it is a bit weird that chefs who actually have working restaurants would agree to appear ... it's not just the money (but remember that $100,000 or whatever only goes to the winner) ... but the time ... my guess is that it takes 2-3 weeks to film that. my guess is that the list of acceptances ran very high to a) people who are corporate, so they can take time off; or b) people who really desperately need the pr boost (hello FABIO!).

17. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Well-Known Member

it is a bit weird that chefs who actually have working restaurants would agree to appear ... it's not just the money (but remember that $100,000 or whatever only goes to the winner) ... but the time ... my guess is that it takes 2-3 weeks to film that. my guess is that the list of acceptances ran very high to a) people who are corporate, so they can take time off; or b) people who really desperately need the pr boost (hello FABIO!).

I would have thought that the PR boost would be worth it for any chef. However, I guess if you are running your own place that is packed every night and arent particularly interested in expanding, it might not be that beneficial.

18. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I have heard them say that filming takes a month.

One of the Chefs from last season said "The reason we're all here is packed restaurants." So for Bryan V., whose restauarant in Frederick is apparently booming, taking time off would have been unecessary and possibly risky.

19. foodguy

I would have thought that the PR boost would be worth it for any chef. However, I guess if you are running your own place that is packed every night and arent particularly interested in expanding, it might not be that beneficial.

three weeks in the life of a privately owned small restaurant is forever. you would not BELIEVE the number of things that can go wrong. very few chefs i know ever take much more than a week at a time off ... until they get to the level they can afford thoroughly reliable people to delegate to.

20. foodguy

I have heard them say that filming takes a month.

One of the Chefs from last season said "The reason we're all here is packed restaurants." So for Bryan V., whose restauarant in Frederick is apparently booming, taking time off would have been unecessary and possibly risky.

i don't have a hard time believing a month at all. the stupid TVFN spin-off i did took almost 3 weeks of 12-hour days. trust me, a television production makes teh federal government look like the very model of efficiency.