1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Top Chef All Stars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Dec 2, 2010.

1. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Marcel is moving on...

[​IMG]

lefty

2. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

i'm cringing at episode two of just desserts. i think the dude has aspergers or something, but god. i had to turn down the volume and lurk sf while it played in the background

richard blais also has a show on the history channel or something. blais trail? or summit like that. couldnt find any episodes

3. Philip1978

Philip1978 Well-Known Member

He also just had a pilot on the science channel called "blais off"

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Blais's hair really annoys me.

5. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

He also just had a pilot on the science channel called "blais off"

this

6. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

Funniest all-time moment so far: Angelo misspelling Crocodile for his quickfire challenge dish?

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

It sounded like Dale had the worst dish, but the judges gave him a mulligan for his strong performance in the competition up to that point.

8. Piobaire

It sounded like Dale had the worst dish, but the judges gave him a mulligan for his strong performance in the competition up to that point.

They cut Marcelle last week, can't cut Dale this week. Trey is very quiet, doesn't really make good TV, so off he goes. Big personalities seem to last longer than their cooking skill would account for.

Btw, was Trey the guy that roughed up Marcelle after a few drinks and got canned?

9. LatinStyleLover

LatinStyleLover Well-Known Member

Which they swear up and down they do not do. I have heard contestants plead their cases using that exact line of thought only to hear the judges tell them that it means nothing because they must judge each episode on its own merits without consideration to what they have done thus far. So, did Dale get special treatment OR is this a case of the editing making us think one thing when something else actually happened?

10. Thracozaag

They cut Marcelle last week, can't cut Dale this week. Trey is very quiet, doesn't really make good TV, so off he goes. Big personalities seem to last longer than their cooking skill would account for.

Btw, was Trey the guy that roughed up Marcelle after a few drinks and got canned?

Tre seems to always get confused with the guy that shaved Marcel, but that was Cliff. And much like last time he was on the show, I thought Tre got screwed over, but as before, he was extremely gracious about it.

11. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

I'd rather eat stiff risotto with extra veggies than bland undercooked pasta with no sauce. I think Tre got screwed.

12. Piobaire

Tre seems to always get confused with the guy that shaved Marcel, but that was Cliff. And much like last time he was on the show, I thought Tre got screwed over, but as before, he was extremely gracious about it.

Ah, okay.

Yup, he got screwed. If he wasn't such a quiet, nice guy he'd still be there.

13. Thracozaag

I'd rather eat stiff risotto with extra veggies than bland undercooked pasta with no sauce. I think Tre got screwed.

I agree; and while of course Colicchio knows his risotto, I've eaten enough in Italy to know that there are many local variations for what passes as the "acceptable" version of that dish, from Milan to Florence.

14. Thracozaag

As an aside, has anyone on here eaten at Rao's?

15. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

+1 really disappointed with that decision. seemed like a pedantic dismissal compared to the stated problems with the other dishes. plus i hate mike. btw, from the Rao's wikipedia:
    [​IMG]

16. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

I have heard contestants plead their cases using that exact line of thought only to hear the judges tell them that it means nothing because they must judge each episode on its own merits without consideration to what they have done thus far.
    Were these contestants serious threats to win? I can't imagine the judges cutting Blais or Angelo before the finals regardless of how badly they bomb.

17. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

The judges are definately giving some consideration to past performance. They have to say the past has no influence on each challenge, but that's just lip service. They're not going to send home the best chef of the bottom three unless that person's dish was so bad it would be hard to keep them with a straight face.

18. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

As an aside, has anyone on here eaten at Rao's?

I was wondering about that too. Or the one in Vegas, if that's even comparable?

19. Thracozaag

Were these contestants serious threats to win? I can't imagine the judges cutting Blais or Angelo before the finals regardless of how badly they bomb.

I would certainly say Jen Carroll and Tre were both very strong cooks.

20. aizan

aizan Well-Known Member

part of the challenge was to let the ingredients speak for themselves, and that was probably the decisive factor.