1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Top 10 List of most hated fashion brands: gaudy, tacky, flashy, ugly, gross clothing.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jeromestyle, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Saturdays

Saturdays Well-Known Member

yeah this is a stupid list..

2. SuitedNBooted

SuitedNBooted Well-Known Member

D&G does make some nasty stuff (and I am customer so I should know). But there is always a healthy percentage of the collection that is really good, and a smaller one that is just smashing. Same with AJ: stay away from the logo-laden t-shirts, and you will find items that everyone will envy you.

And it needs to be said: women love a little Italian logo on a guy... let no one deny that :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. curzon

curzon Well-Known Member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
    I'm not a fan of the Polo pony, and that flippin' enormous one is really dreadful. RL's limited-run special collections, such as the Wimbledon one, are often gauche. I object to the RL Rugby labels, too. But much of the less conspicuous RL line is very nice. I don't like the Barker Black velvet slippers w/ the Jolly Roger, but BB loafers w/ the crossed metal bones is clever take on the traditional horse bit.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  4. Jangofett

Jangofett Well-Known Member

The answer to your question lies in the discovery in Kunming China lately of 3 mac shops there, where the staff are in Apple blue and the decor is in typical wood Apple shop decor and they sell Apple stuff. The staff is under the impression they work for Apple.

Unfortunately, Apple do not have branches in Kunming China.

China has done it again! Now they faked an entire mac shop! Now its Steve Jobs turn to be livid.

5. matt22616

matt22616 Well-Known Member

You got me buddy. I'm actually former Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer. I decided to start posting on SF after retiring.

6. kasakka

kasakka Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't get it either. Most of their clothing is fairly conservative and generally aimed at younger people. I still have some shirts and jeans from H&M that have been just fine for years. Their suits are mostly polyester so not that great but then again they cost next to nothing. H&M, Zara, Jack&Jones and similar are not that bad choices for people with a very limited budget (teens, students etc).

Not a fan of any of the brands that plaster the logo or brand name all over their stuff. I don't want to be a walking billboard.

7. bck

bck Well-Known Member

http://birdabroad.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/are-you-listening-steve-jobs/

Some pics about it in the link. Only in China!

8. B-Rogue

B-Rogue Well-Known Member

I fully agree with the above. And "hate" is just too strong a word or feeling to associate with fashion brands. Their products are made for people to enjoy. Those who like them will and those who dont wont. And considering they are some of the biggest brands in the world, means a lot of people like them. They are that famous that there is a mini industry in China that is making a fortune from producing fake products with these brands' names on them.

9. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Hate is not a strong word for me, especially when their branding and logos are in your face a lot of the time, most notably, LV, Burberry, D&G, Gucci and Emporio Armani. I just wouldn't buy anything from them on principle now. I note your avatar, I'm not exactly a great fan of Apple either. A fashion brand of tech IMO.

BTW have you ever met Hermes Man on this forum?
    http://www.styleforum.net/u/81285/hermes-man
    Fashion brands make him happy. :D

Say hello...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  10. B-Rogue

B-Rogue Well-Known Member

I suppose each to their own as they say. However you seem to have quite a deep hatred for fashion brands and I am surprised to see you posting in a forum that is full of fashion brands. Your words contradict your actions. Every company has a logo and the purpose of the logo is just that: to make the company recognizable and seen. So of course they will be in your face all the time, it's their job, so to speak. Unless you hate successful brands only? You say that "you would never buy anything from them in principle". What is that principle? Is it: "I will never buy from a company ever again if they are famous"?

As far as Apple goes that is a matter for discussion in a different forum. Whether you are a fan or not it doesn't bother me at all (and I'm sure Apple couldn't care less either).

I dont like a fashion brand because of its name/logo. If I like a particular product design/quality from their range I will buy it, otherwise I wont bother. I have owned both OSX and Windows products and I will never, ever, ever go back to the clumsy, ugly, bug ridden, complicated, endless huge updates, freezing, crashing all the time Windows products.

11. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Yes this forum is full of them, especially SW&D. But we don't all buy them though, many here buy from small business', often bespoke. That focus on quality and giving you a nice product. Rather than mass produced things, made by cheap labour in third world countries. Have look at the sponsors and affiliate vendors pages and threads, that's the sort of things that they buy. You won't find the likes of LV or Emporio or D&G or A&F there though.

I won't buy from companies that focus on their branding and logos, rather than quality, and are charging sky high prices for them, e.g. $200 Emporio Armani T-shirts. I mainly buy non-branded casual clothing, sometimes produced by local small business', and formal shirts and trousers from tailors in Hong Kong,

Exactly LOL.... I don't use Windoze either *, except on the office PC occasionally when I have to. I've known people buy Apple MacBooks, they've wiped OS X and installed Windows. In other words they just bought them for the glowing Apple logo.

* Have a look at what I posted in the Windows 8 threak.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  12. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

In general, I am put off by any brand that puts its logo/brand name all over clothes/goods.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  13. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

In before ban

14. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Asos in Australia. It is everywhere :(

15. jacket

jacket Well-Known Member

What is the criteria for inclusion in this list - is it basically just a greatest-common-factor list of what SF collectively hates? I can see quite a couple brands on there that I personally have no problem with. And since when did Hollister and Rubinacci ever rank in the same category?

16. ultramantaro

ultramantaro Well-Known Member

for the most part, just brands that SF'ers in general hate. However most of the people at least in the classic forum are those with a perceived "older" age and therefore won't like fashion forward cuts, or anything slim.

17. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

While I give guys like Duchamp credit for having a style that's so clearly their own they don't even need to put a label on it, with rare exception, I find Duchamp shirts and ties just obnoxious. They're so extreme it's almost a caricature.

I'll make a similar comment of Lacoste. In their case they're clearly logo'd, and sure they have some nice basics like polos or shorts or whatever, but for the most part they've pushed the line, especially across the past 10-15 years and made some truly godawful stuff.

Lastly, I have a special place of hate in my heart for large labeled Tommy Hilfigure items. More often then not, they're such ugly items that the person would never otherwise wear except for the logo. To me, that's the epitome of gaudy, when it's really only being worn because of the logo.