1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Top 10 List of most hated fashion brands: gaudy, tacky, flashy, ugly, gross clothing.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jeromestyle, Jul 17, 2011.

1. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Brand positions themselves as luxury brand, charges insane, unearned prices. Cultivates aura of exclusivity. Brand realizes exclusivity means exclusivity -- not many buyers. Creates diffusion lines and brandwhore items people can afford (plaid belts, LV wallets). People buy their stuff. With people buying their stuff, they are perceived as less exclusive, oh noes!

WAT DO!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

Maybe it's the small-timer in me, but I don't think HSM started out as an "economy" brand.

3. Saturdays

Saturdays Well-Known Member

I'm guessing OP either mistook D&G for Dolce & Gabbana or he really meant D&G, and yes that is not a luxury brand.

4. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

I think it's perceived as being luxury here in China though. They sure charge a lot for the real-mccoy in Beijing and Shanghai. Hell there is even a knock-off version called Dolce & Banana, D&B. :D

5. jeromestyle

jeromestyle Well-Known Member

yes, I took it for the same brand

6. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  7. Jangofett

Jangofett Well-Known Member

Bet Giorgio would be livid when he finds this out!!

I wonder when will the day finally come when one finds a high street shop in China selling fake Armanis with Armani internal decor, complete with a sign including the fake Armani eagle logo and a shop name that reads like Armani in Chinese.

But its not really Armani (wink. wink.). Its Ya-Man-Ni complete with properous Mandarin characters.

8. jeromestyle

Giorgio loves China and China loves Giorgio. He is very aware of this and takes it as a compliment.

9. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  10. Jangofett

Jangofett Well-Known Member

You kidding right? Most Westerners not used to China's 'laissez faire' ways do not take too kindly to money being taken from their pockets or being made used of.

11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Hermes? Really? nah... only that stupid belt buckle. Otherwise IMO they're one of the classier joints around.

12. SuitedNBooted

SuitedNBooted Well-Known Member

My understanding is that A/X is not run by Armani at all. If you notice, they have their own logo and don't use the eagle at all - presumably they can't. I am willing to bet that Giorgio cringes as much as anyone when viewing Jersey Shore.

Another thing: the fashion brands out of Europe are counterfeited in more ways than one. Often the design will be just as fake as the manufacturing, and they will milk the logo for all it's worth. So if you're not a regular customer and you don't really know the products, your exposure to the brand is likely to come from that quarter. Just remember the designer is probably not Giorgio himself, but rather some sweaty-browed mouth-breather in a clandestine factory in the Turkish hinterland.

13. jeromestyle

No kidding. He has been inspired many times for his collections taking many ideas from that country so it´s a mutual thing.

14. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Can't see how that can be. Because one can't buy real Armani products here, except in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong.

Maybe if Giorgio was selling his wares here in Xilinhot, then he would have reason to complain and take action about it.

'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'. :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  15. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Well-Known Member

I agree with that Mr. Armani probably want to seperate himself from Armani Exchange just as much as Nordstrom want nothing to do with Last Chance.

Personally, Dolce and Gabbana is more classier brand than D&G. A lot of D&G items are kind of tacky when their mainline items are not really that bad.

16. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

you know the vintage versions of these watches are actually very cool because of the military history behind them....

and when worn by a huge 6'4" dude with 9"wrists they look size appropriate....

I've said it before too... I lot of my jewish friends wear these watches and are ignorant to the fact that there were special editions made for nazi frogmen trained by the original Italian frogmen during WWII
    [​IMG]

17. Saturdays

Saturdays Well-Known Member

Yeah D&G is tacky, and more casual, not luxury at all. the poster I commented on confused the two apparently

18. Pawz

Pawz Well-Known Member

My understanding is that A/X is not run by Armani at all. If you notice, they have their own logo and don't use the eagle at all - presumably they can't. I am willing to bet that Giorgio cringes as much as anyone when viewing Jersey Shore.

I would give anything for you to be right about ownership; I honestly and truly would. However...

[​IMG]

MODS: In case the image is too large to leave up, here's the link: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/MartenFox/AXAX.jpg

I detest A/X even more, now. ...However, the A/X site could be lying (curiously, the Copyright link on their site - or at least the page wherefrom I took this screenie - is broken - as of 07/19/2011).
    If I'm right, I've made a discovery, and I do hope Giorgio sues. ...And gives me credit. ...And a new suit. 44L, please. :)

19. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

D&G , Ed Hardy, Zara, Abercrombie Fitch , Tommy Hilfiger, Gap, YSL, Pierre Cardin, Church's and Alden..

20. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Damn...I love my (two whole) D&G shirts. They don't seem too tacky, just...like really nice button downs...

[​IMG]