• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too old for sneakers?

qtlaw

Reaction score
I'm 48 and I still love my "sneaks." I just got some green puma clydes that were just reissued; are they reminders of my youth? No doubt but I love how they look with my white jeans and how they feel. It is a state of mind. Its about what you feel; if you try too hard, you come off as a fraud. But if its the essence of you, who cares what others think?

Last edited:

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're never too old. I'm 39 and rock sneakers to my client meetings

mr bunbury

Reaction score

If you have to ask yourself if you're too old for sneakers, then yes. You are too old for sneakers.

I think this really gets to the heart of the matter.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're never too old. I'm 39 and rock sneakers to my client meetings

My optometrist is in his 50s and was wearing NBs with his dress shirt and chinos get up when I saw him this week. No matter.

East2West

Reaction score
I think I will always wear sneakers. If you don't feel comfortable though wearing sneakers then don't. It will come across in your demeanor and you will LOOK to old for them

Reaction score
i thought this way at 27 and also reading stuff on this forum but i recently bought a couple of pairs. they're practical and cheap.

The Upright Man

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe try to find some that are very plain and white. With jeans they should look fine.

p k c

Reaction score
Is this guy too old for sneakers? I think it depends what kind of sneakers and when wearing them.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is this guy too old for sneakers? I think it depends what kind of sneakers and when wearing them.

I hate kids and their baggy pants these days.

BreezyBirch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
srsly. so many stuffy guys think "dressing up" makes them look grown up. like those kids who wear suits to high school/university... it's all in the attitude - if you feel like a kid in sneakers then you probably shouldn't wear them. but then again maybe you'll look younger? us 30somethings can get away with more, right? 30 is the new 20? i like wearing my mmm vag sneaks with frayed jorts.

julius12

Reaction score
I know exactly how OP feels (I'm 31), and all the people here trying to convince him that sneakers are ok for older people aren't really helping.

No offense to those who love sneakers, but you probably won't change our mindset that sneakers are just too kiddy for US and it's just not our style.

I usually go for classy, understated, and classic. I do have 2 sneakers though, black and brown, and both are slim, sleek, and plain. Basically the most un-kiddy sneakers I could find.

But I wear them rarely. I usually go with dress shoes or boots, sometimes loafers. On casual Fridays in our office almost everyone is wearing white sneaks and t-shirts and I want to be different.

contrarycomet

Reaction score
Other folks have recommended variants on this, but have you tried plimsolls (canvas upper, rubber soles) in a plain color? Running shoes are hideous no matter how old you are.

julius12

Reaction score
I think boots are the best alternative and could be the sneaker version for adults. Desert boots, or any non-shiny but non-bulky, semi sleek, rounded-toe boot could be worn in the most casual settings.

mr bunbury

Reaction score
I'm intrigued by this idea (and, in general, have been interested in crepe-soled shoes). I've been thinking that some of the sleeker Clark's or maybe Yuketen Country Rangers might be a good shoe for some of those sneaker-type occasions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads