1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tom's Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stylar, Apr 4, 2009.

1. stylar

stylar Well-Known Member

I've seen just one other person wear Tom's in public and they look good, but was wondering your guys' opinions/experiences with them. I will need to buy them online and am thinking of getting these beige one's:
    [​IMG]
    And one thing that's been bugging me is if they look worse on people with big feet, as I'm a size 13. Any advice?

2. Narciso

Narciso Well-Known Member

hospital slippers

3. Pantless

Pantless Member

You're a little late for April fools bro. [​IMG]

4. emmanuel

emmanuel Well-Known Member

5. mystillwater

mystillwater Well-Known Member

they're probably a little hippy-ish for most folks here... i probably wouldn't waer them out of the house although they look rather comfortable as slippers.

6. pdial

pdial Well-Known Member

They kinda look like a Chinese food take out box for your feet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Jacksdad

Jacksdad Well-Known Member

for every pair you buy another pair is donated to a less fortunate individual. I think it's a worthy cause, and some of them are actually cool enough to wear in public.

8. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

for every pair you buy another pair is donated to a less fortunate individual. I think it's a worthy cause, and some of them are actually cool enough to wear in public.
    I'd rather send a donation. While I'm all for the worthy cause, the shoes are not to my taste.

9. Eagle

Eagle Well-Known Member

If I were to buy a pair, that would be two pair going to the less fortunate because, the pair I purchased would be going straight to Goodwill! Though, a reasonable question might be, why would we want to do that to the less fortunate(!)?? [​IMG]

10. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I keep seeing this ad and it annoys me. How f***ing pretentious is it to give slippers to kids in need?

Could you imagine being a hungry kid somewhere, just wanting a hot can of soup or something, and some vegan California hipster douchebag shows up and gives you a pair of slippers? You can't eat slippers.

11. JohnD356

JohnD356 Well-Known Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I keep seeing this ad and it annoys me. How f***ing pretentious is it to give slippers to kids in need?

Could you imagine being a hungry kid somewhere, just wanting a hot can of soup or something, and some vegan California hipster douchebag shows up and gives you a pair of slippers? You can't eat slippers.

I don't know the specifics of Tom's Shoe's program, but groups like Samaritan's Feet distribute shoes nationally and internationally to help prevent infections and injuries.

12. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I keep seeing this ad and it annoys me. How f***ing pretentious is it to give slippers to kids in need? Could you imagine being a hungry kid somewhere, just wanting a hot can of soup or something, and some vegan California hipster douchebag shows up and gives you a pair of slippers? You can't eat slippers.

13. emmanuel

emmanuel Well-Known Member

With shoes they can run after live game...

14. Guero

Guero Well-Known Member

[​IMG] You're going to hell for that, and I'm going with you, lmao [​IMG]

15. babadooboo

babadooboo Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I keep seeing this ad and it annoys me. How f***ing pretentious is it to give slippers to kids in need? Could you imagine being a hungry kid somewhere, just wanting a hot can of soup or something, and some vegan California hipster douchebag shows up and gives you a pair of slippers? You can't eat slippers.
    You are right! Malnourishment is the #1 villan. 5 years ago you didn't see the orange streaks in kids hair from malnourishment but it is coming back strong in SE Asia, and has always been in Brazil. One of the reason there is so much lawlessness in Brazil is many of the favela dudes are big and brain dead when they reach their late teens from a poor diet when they were tots. Plus the hungry young often sniff glue to kill the hunger pain and add to the brain damage. Often the irreversable diet brain damage happens in the first 5 years of life. The greedy Chinese merchant class doubling the price of rice and other commodities on their helpless population is a cause along with so much corn, soybeans, etc now going into biofuels because of the tax credits people get. President Menem's selling off of Argentina caused children to starve in the #1 food-rich country in the world. In SE Asia you see grown girls with splayed toes from running around barefoot on the farm in the province when young. You also see dark marks on each buttock from sitting on their heels when they were kids as that was their only "furniture". Their foot troubles are far less serious than the permanent brain damage caused by a poor diet in the early years. Sorry, I know this is a fashion site and this is my last outburst but this watching this dude get rich with his "save a kid by buying horrid overpriced bedroom slippers" with videos of his white intern kids with dreadlocks walking barefoot carrying a Tom's Shoes flag has me sick to my stomach.

16. johnmosby

johnmosby Active Member

You are right! Malnourishment is the #1 villan. 5 years ago you didn't see the orange streaks in kids hair from malnourishment but it is coming back strong in SE Asia, and has always been in
    Brazil. One of the reason there is so much lawlessness in Brazil is many of the favela dudes are big and brain dead when they reach their late teens from a poor diet when they were tots. Plus the hungry young often sniff glue to kill the hunger pain and add to the brain damage. Often the irreversable diet brain damage happens in the first 5 years of life. The greedy Chinese merchant class doubling the price of rice and other commodities on their helpless population is a cause along with so much corn, soybeans, etc now going into biofuels because of the tax credits people get. President Menem's selling off of Argentina caused children to starve in the #1 food-rich country in the world. In SE Asia you see grown girls with splayed toes from running around barefoot on the farm in the province when young. You also see dark marks on each buttock from sitting on their heels when they were kids as that was their only "furniture". Their foot troubles are far less serious than the permanent brain damage caused by a poor diet in the early years.

Sorry, I know this is a fashion site and this is my last outburst but this watching this dude get rich with his "save a kid by buying horrid overpriced bedroom slippers" with videos of his white intern kids with dreadlocks walking barefoot carrying a Tom's Shoes flag has me sick to my stomach.

I totally agree. Tom is the speaker for graduation at my college this year. You put it perfectly. Ethanol sucks and was one of the biggest scams pulled on the world. We know this now, but still have quotas to meet thanks to ignorant politicians who couldn't spend the five minutes it takes to discover that corn ethanol is a rip-off.

17. meister

meister Well-Known Member

I totally agree. Ethanol sucks and was one of the biggest scams pulled on the world. We know this now, but still have quotas to meet thanks to ignorant politicians who couldn't spend the five minutes it takes to discover that corn ethanol is a rip-off.

Se what effect on has on your engine when petrol is diluted with it. Another bullshit rip off. POliticians Down Under have given millions to ethanol producers.

18. babadooboo

babadooboo Member

I totally agree. Tom is the speaker for graduation at my college this year. You put it perfectly. Ethanol sucks and was one of the biggest scams pulled on the world. We know this now, but still have quotas to meet thanks to ignorant politicians who couldn't spend the five minutes it takes to discover that corn ethanol is a rip-off.
    The Politicians don't care, they rarely read the bills they sign and the bills are usually only 2/3's written when they sign it. Biofuels are just another bubble and a way to make the world's population smaller and more manageable. Europeans and Japanese don't even want our GMO food, so it is just a way to sell off the tax incentived by products of Monsanto Roundup Ready Soybeans, and BT Corn. Time magazine's cover story on food didn't even touch the GMO aspects of it. Food related industries advertise so much that the media is instructed not to touch the subject.
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/67878/the-future-of-food Watch it.
    Meanwhile Blake's empire will continue to grow and he will get more rich from all his speaking engagments.

19. pdial

pdial Well-Known Member

Sorry, I know this is a fashion site and this is my last outburst but this watching this dude get rich with his "save a kid by buying horrid overpriced bedroom slippers" with videos of his white intern kids with dreadlocks walking barefoot carrying a Tom's Shoes flag has me sick to my stomach.

So what's wrong with giving back and making some money at the same time? What are you doing to help?

20. babadooboo

babadooboo Member

Se what effect on has on your engine when petrol is diluted with it. Another bullshit rip off. POliticians Down Under have given millions to ethanol producers.
    It worked in Brazil because they always had a huge surplus of sugar cane and suffered from surges in petrol prices. They had a president that committed suicide from the constant coffee surpluses that kept destroying their economy, so they used up sugarcane that would have been burned or dumped. Brazil is one country that stood up to the Globalization/Outsourcing/Offshoring nonsense. They make all their own autos, electronics, etc. This is one of the many reasons their economy is soaring.
    Meanwhile in the US is is full speed ahead with offshoring as many jobs as possible. Some State unemployment call centers are offshore. How rediculous is that? It is alway monkey-see-monkey-do. The US is selling off highways to an Australian-Spanish conglomerate thanks to Daddy Bush's decree allowing the sale of anything. Over staffed municipalities need to get that pension money from someplace! Texans are up in arms that taxpayer funded roads are being sold off. The US gov got the idea from when the Phillappine govt. sold the old Mcarthur highway from Manila to Clark airbase to a German company that repaved it and raised tolls so high locals can't afford it. The Pinoy politicians shrugged and blamed it on the Germans when people demonstrated.