1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tom Hanks to play Professor Robert Langdon

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RatPacker, Nov 16, 2004.

1. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

Angels and Demons was better, I think more acurate in its deatailing of the cities scapes, and most of all, the action never stopped from the beginning to the end...much better book, but I think in the future I will stick with Baldacci.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

how about Harrison Ford? Â Brown did refer to Langdon as "Harrison Ford in Harris Tweed"
    ummm. Amen to that. Although Perez' books are better written, I enjoyed this one. Try "The Club Dumas" (inspired "The 9th Gate" with Johnny Depp.) I find Eco a bit taxing -- all that lifting of the dictionary for clarification every other paragraph. [​IMG]
    I quite like Perez-Reverte as well. Reverte, and Eco are the fun authors per se. The Flanders Panel is another suggestion.

3. johnw86

johnw86 Well-Known Member

OK, I'll admit it--I enjoyed "The DaVinci Code." It's a quick, thriller, not too heavy and an enjoyable way to spend a cross-country flight.

I'm not pleased with the Tom Hanks casting, though. It reminds me of when he was cast for "Bonfire of the Vanities"--one of the worst movies ever made from a good book. Hanks was wrong for that role--he doesn't/can't do patrician very well.

Harrison Ford is great--but even older than Hanks. How about someone in his early 40s--say, Kiefer Sutherland, Nick Cage, or even Robert Downy Jr.?

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

Nicholas Cage wouldn't be bad for the role, he was pretty good in a similar role in national treasure though. Hmm... they could get that guy from "there's something about mary" that was faking with the crutches to play the english lord though.

5. johnw86

johnw86 Well-Known Member

John Cusack...that would be kind of cool.

6. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

Jean Reno as seen in the excellent movies; Leon, Ronin, Mission Impossible, La Femme Nikita and the not so excellent movies; Godzilla (the American travesty starring Matthew Broderick), Just Visiting (with Christina Applegate), Rolleball (ugh)

Has signed on to play Detective Fache. FYI

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

Hmm, I think he may do a good job as Fache, i've no doubt he can play the officious frenchman to a T, although he has a generally down to earthness to his role that he needs to get rid of to do that [​IMG]

8. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

Angels & Demons and Deception Point were both better books.

I too could see John Cusack playing Langdon for some reason.

9. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

There are of course better books on the subject out there, but this is a light thriller, and as such it has popularised these concepts because of its accessibility to the general public. I read "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" years ago, interesting, but far too serious and in depth to be a mass appeal page turner.

The Da Vinci Code may claim that all rituals, etc. are correct, and then be criticised by some for this not being true, but then again how do we know, after all is not the entire point of this and the other books on the subject the fact that the Roman Catholic version of the Christ story is completely wrong?