1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tom Ford Spring Summer 2012

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Pawz

Pawz Well-Known Member

Most of the collection looks like it's trying to hard. I'm sure the quality is amazing, but ugly is ugly.

2. Anthony K

Anthony K Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind the suits if those damn lapels weren't so wide!

The tittays were quite a pleasant surprise. :nodding:

3. MrGoodBytes

MrGoodBytes Well-Known Member

I was in the vegas store last week with cash to burn and while your right its all far more conservative, none of it spoke to me. The shoes while always great weren't justified... and the glasses ugh, did not like... I will gladly stick with 2 years back.

4. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good time to abandon ship

[​IMG]

5. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Well-Known Member

extremely underwhelmed.

6. jeff13007

jeff13007 Well-Known Member

oh absolutely. I never said it was worth the money. But i think its a great medium between quality clothing and high fashion. Im pretty conservative when it comes to dress and if appopriate clothing is required then i just wear my navy steed suit, white shirt, a blue tie, and black conservative lace ups in a FIH. But there are times when you want to have a bit off fun then its time to bust out the TF 3 piece, houndstooth shirt and tie and the oxfords with the high heel!

7. jeff13007

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Or you can use their suits more conservatively. The suit, shirt, and tie are all TF. The shoes too which is why i look taller than normal haha

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Well-Known Member

^ What style collar is that? How long are the points and what is the spread?

I ask because I've been trying to find that collar and have been having issues communicating what I want.

9. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Well-Known Member

tom ford s/s 2012 = dress like Tibor.

10. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

suit is great. girl is better. show more.

11. jeff13007

not sure the name but ill get pictures of the actual shirt up. Its the Tom ford 2 button collar that they use on some of their shirts

12. jeff13007

[​IMG] [​IMG] The length from collar to point is a bit over 3 inches and the back is about 1.5 inches

13. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

+1

I continue to predict that the only way for things to go in general is WIDE, trousers, lapels, etc. etc. It will take a while to catch on - but fashion relies on change and change will come.

To mention Tommy Nutter in this context is to be prophetic in my opinion.

14. Fred49

Fred49 Well-Known Member

You really think fashion designers are going to redo the disco/rock and roll thing with the wide lapels? Wow we could thrift leisure suits. Maybe next year TF will go with that sad idea as well.

15. Fred49

Fred49 Well-Known Member

can you say double knit?

16. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Absofuckinlutely - perhaps not full on 1975 retro funk but something MUCH wider and fuller than the stuff they are doing right now.

Go to the nonsartorialist look threak and take a look at today's posts. There's an 'almost' bell bottom shape going on in there.

Hopefully they won't try to revive double knit - I get ill just remembering that junk - it was truly evil.

Of course us men 'of a certain age' are free from social obligation to follow style trends - so we can stick with 'classic'. Maybe widen a tie or grow some muttonchops!

17. mossrockss

mossrockss Well-Known Member

Hm.

Remember how he made a big deal about how at his first-ever solo women's show he had clothes being modeled by his famous celebrity friends, all of whom were very different in their body shape and proportions and were therefore not your typical surfboard models?

Why doesn't he do that with men's stuff? all of this collection is with a single skinny guy who weighs 110 pounds soaking wet.

Let's see those full trousers of this collection on a dude like Desu then the next photo on a guy like TTO and then another guy like PG.

18. ridefar

ridefar Active Member

The thing about TF's website these days is that it is an ad campaign done in flash. Meaning it has about as much relevance to what you wear if you were to go into a store and buy something as the pictures of naked girls. Meaning none at all.

Other than showing a few neat fabrics it is utterly divorced from the buying experience.

And to take it a step further, MTM is even more different. With the MTM stuff, you can pick from a dozen or so different collar types on shirts alone for goodness sake. Pants--with or without pleats, any width of leg you want, buttonfly or zipper, adjusters or loops, whatever you want. 15 or so styles of overcoat. Lapels are not that wide unless you specifically order them that way. Just as examples.

And as time has gone on, the website has become further and further apart from what is actually in the stores. Which is weird and disappointing. The stuff in the stores can be as conservative or wild (and totally ridiculous/unwearable) as you want.

19. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

^^^ I enjoy going to his stores, and I see lots of nice stuff but nothing I'd wear. I particularly like his shoes, but there is no way I'd wear them with those high heels.

20. swiego

swiego Well-Known Member

They would do much better if they got rid of the models, got rid of the web site, and replaced it with a pic of Daniel Craig with "Tom Ford: Buy Our Stuff" at the bottom.