1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tokaji, Sauternes, icewines, Ausleses...

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Aficionado, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Zubberah

Zubberah Well-Known Member

Too many to mention:
    (1) Sauternes, esp great d'Yquem's like 2001, 1990, 1989, 1983, 1975, 1967, 1959 etc and Coutet Cuvee Madame from 1971 on
    (2) Huet Vouvray Cuvee Contance and 3 single vineyard wines like Clos du Bourg
    (3) german TBA/BA from great vintages are hard to beat, esp, 1959, 1971, 1976, etc and anything from 2001 designated TBA like Muller-Catoir, Frritz Haag, Willi Shaefer, Egon Muller, JJ Prum, Max. Richter, Robert Weil, Donnhoff, Gunderloch, etc. Even more exxy than d'Yquem!!!
    (4) Tokaji Eszencia and Aszu-Ezsencia - super rare though
    (5) Great vintage madeiras like Bual and moscatel and malmsey
    (6) Austrian wines like Kracher TBA (bit too oily and viscous for me)
    (7) Aussie botrytis styles like de Bortoli Noble One are world class and hidden from US market
    (8) Aussie Rutherglen fortified musacts and tokays are indeed unique and world class, esp, Rare and Grand categories which even Parker has gone ape over!! usually up to 100 years old
    (9) SGN/VT's from Zind-Humbrecht, Trimbach, Josmeyer and Hugel, etc
    (10) Seppelt 100-year-Old ports from Australia are indeed rare - bottles every 100 years. Current release is 1906 at $1000 per bottle. Amazing wines!
    (11) Italian moscato d'asti's and Aussie moscato's (fresher and crisper than Itlainas which often arrove too old)
    (12) Sweet champagnes like Veuve Clicquot Riche, Moet's Nectar, Selosse Demi-Sec etc are a nice change

2. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

Not to take anything away from good Sauternes or the various Germans, but there are some decent dessert wines made on Long Island, NY. Duck Walk makes a nice light Gewurztraminer (Aphrodite), and there are others from Pellegrini that I like very much. Pindar also makes a Cabernet Port that is satisfying with chocolate cake, if not over-subtle.

3. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Well-Known Member

1. Tokai Azsu or Samorodni
    2. Cyprus Muscat.
    3. Crimean Muscats
    4. Malaga (unavailable in US)
    5. Good cherry (Bristol Cream I like)
    6. Good vintage port with cigar.

4. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

'01 Rieussec Sauternes is the best dessert wine I've ever had. I have 1 more bottle that I'll open when I finish school, next summer.

D'Yquem I lust after, but the prices kill the lust.

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

'01 Rieussec Sauternes is the best dessert wine I've ever had. I have 1 more bottle that I'll open when I finish school, next summer.

D'Yquem I lust after, but the prices kill the lust.

01 Rieussec is a really good Sauternes but I think a bit more maturity would help it.

For a pretty good sweet wine that won't break the bank, try 2001 Chateau St. Michelle Icewine (which is pretty unique as I believe it was one of the only years they made it) There are some very nice BAs that are cheap as well, I can't remember the one that I usually like maybe I can find it in a search here.